The Philanthropist Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Pilot?

D-BorG

[1]May 2, 2009
    • level: 14

So when does the pilot air?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Quasarman1

[2]May 22, 2009
    • level: 4
    6/24 10:00 PM

telvisnostic

[3]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 52
    I thought it was a good premiere.

Junkyxl19

[4]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 12
    Yea I liked it aswell.

krankie_frankie

[5]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 11
    Not to sure on this. This is a show I need to watch a couple more episodes and then decide if I should continue in watching it.

sandbur

[6]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 25

I kind of liked it. Its a bit too soon to dive right in, and if I understand correctly, its only an 8 hour mini-series that is not intended for long term.

But it had an interesting hook, which is more than I can say for most "new" TV offerings these days...

EJamison

[7]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 17

I don't know. It seems kind of silly. The village is so difficult to reach but the doctor managed to get there. It seems a bit absurd that the DEA couldn't help him deliver the vaccine. What is 25 km in a helicopter? But as long as one poor boy gets a top, I guess it all make sense.

haldrey

[8]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 22
    If the rest of the episodes go along the pilot's line, here is my new BFF

telvisnostic

[9]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 52
    haldrey wrote:
    If the rest of the episodes go along the pilot's line, here is my new BFF
    That's how I reacted myself.
    Edited on 06/25/2009 4:11pm

rjjh

[10]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 3
    EJamison wrote:

I don't know. It seems kind of silly. The village is so difficult to reach but the doctor managed to get there. It seems a bit absurd that the DEA couldn't help him deliver the vaccine. What is 25 km in a helicopter? But as long as one poor boy gets a top, I guess it all make sense.

Way beyond absurd, past the point of believability. Converting to familiar American units, 25 km is about 15 miles, and those helicopters can easily go 90 mph, so we're talking about a 10-minute trip at most. Those DEA guys are guilty of the moral equivalent of attempted murder of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of villagers by not helping. Normally the US aids countries hit by natural disasters, and doesn't try to ensure that hundreds of children die from cholera and other diseases that could easily be prevented under the given circumstances.

The doctor showing up at the village a few hours after our hero also defies all logic as you indicate. If she could get there so easily, with no hardships or injuries, they may as well have handed her the medicine at the beginning and let her do her thing.

Edited on 06/25/2009 4:32pm

billst99

[11]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 2
    Dont know about some of you guys but I watch TV shows for their entertainment value, and this was entertaining. Why try finding holes in the plot, sit back relax and enjoy.

EJamison

[12]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 17
    billst99 wrote:
    Dont know about some of you guys but I watch TV shows for their entertainment value, and this was entertaining. Why try finding holes in the plot, sit back relax and enjoy.
    Simply because I find it less entertaining when it has such plot holes. Otherwise, people should equally enjoy every show on TV. All shows are flawless if all flaws are supposed to be ignored. Also it might seem pointless to discuss shows because every post would say, "The show was flawless, of course."

Gami3it

[13]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 4
    1. I'm all for looking for wholes in stories but seriously how many globe trotting philanthropists are there really? not enough to be 100 percent on every detail. tv show, not a movie, prolly not enough time. 2.The moral f the story was just because people can help doesn't mean they won't. Maybe the DEA dude really didn't give a damn, after all he is human too. He let him go cuz he was a billionaire that was gonna let him fly his jet. And when our hero tried to say more, which could have included..."can i get a lift?" he was like "just walk away" 3. Who says the doctor got there after him and with no hassles. I should know, originally from Nigeria, even being Nigerian doesn't guarantee u a hassle free trip from point A to point B. I believe she got there before him and nursed him to health after he passed out unless i am mistaking. If she could have gotten it her self and taken it there she would have but they tried that and when it failed she went back to do what she could for her town. Our hero's connections got him the stuff out of the airport in the end so he took it himself. It was entertaining with a few holes but the message is prolly more important than the plot. I enjoyed it not the greatest show but the concept (as unbelievable as it is)stands out a little.

billst99

[14]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 2
    EJamison wrote:
    billst99 wrote:
    Simply because I find it less entertaining when it has such plot holes. Otherwise, people should equally enjoy every show on TV. All shows are flawless if all flaws are supposed to be ignored. Also it might seem pointless to discuss shows because every post would say, "The show was flawless, of course."

Your logic in this case is flawed. Obviously not everyone would enjoy every show regardless of flaws. What I'm saying is that even though something seems a bit far fetched, we are to supposed to see around that so that there can be some form of continuation to the story. Otherwise the writers would need more than forty three minutes to explain the obvious in each scenario.

klaus_engell

[15]Jun 28, 2009
    • level: 1
    D-BorG wrote:

So when does the pilot air?

Hey!
    I just wtched the pilot episode and thought it was really good. I was blown away by the music after 36 min in the film. I have tried to find it but without success. Do you know what it is called, who wrote it and where I can find it?

Greatful for any hints

teresab313

[16]Jul 1, 2009
    • level: 5
    The whole point of Teddy getting involved was because the vaccine was being held up at the airport and she couldn't get it out of customs. He thought it would be easy to get the vaccine out by using his prominent name and throwing around some money, but that didn't go so well. I didn't get the impression that the doctor arrived at the village after Teddy. I guess I thought she was already there, working at the clinic when he stumbled onto the edge of one of the villager's farm. As for the DEA guys not giving him a ride, well, they had their job to do in arresting that drug dealer, and God knows, that's a lot more important than taking a detour to save a few poor Nigerians. Yeah, it's unrealisting that some barefoot white guy would actually make it to the village without getting himself killed or lost, but that's TV for you. At least the show gave us a glimpse into the reality that millions of people live in every day. I didn't realize the show was actually a miniseries. That gives me hope then that I will actually "get closure", because as much as I like this concept, I wasn't optimistic that the average American viewer would go for a show like this. At least now I won't have to worry about it being cancelled in the middle of a story arc or something.

JamesMoerike

[17]Jul 9, 2009

You may see the pilot at this address hulu.com type the philanthropist on hulu tv page

there are two other episodes very interesting to watch as well. I find this program very good.

JamesMoerike

[18]Jul 9, 2009
    How can you tell.. whether or not the story will make it full cycle
    or know that it won't be canceled? I hope it does not get canceled for it is a very good show though it seems all of the good do get canceled
    some one season others two seasons & other yet three seasons..