The Philanthropist Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Should be renewed?

Orlando-GOL

[1]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 17

Ratings are falling, the show is on the edge of being cancelled. What's your opinion?

I would like to see a second season next year.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 22
    The rating are failing because there is a lack of constant action, no police mystery is involved and there is no real romance involved, but the show is damn good and different. It should be renewed but I doubt it.

plohden

[3]Aug 13, 2009
    • level: 1
    absolutely...it is a great show. I haven't missed an episode.

chalidon1881

[4]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    This show is something so different then the rest, and I am hooked!!!

TimFischer0

[5]Aug 15, 2009
    Renew the show. It's the best drama - action show on any American network this year. Too political? Too true?

mattgus

[6]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 14
    not alot of people on the forum/not a good sign...great actors and stories,but more than that while everything is about making $,this show is making a concerted effort to get us to see the world and how much real suffering there is...it suggests we can participate in solutions...i don't know why people are not watching. i think the stories are extremly good. i record all the shows...we don't like being reminded of the truth. i hope it gets a chance during the reg season...

DarenAfshar

[7]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 5

I like the show. It's about time someone produced something like this. I'd like to see a little more story development. The arrogance of Americans knowing what's right for the whole world kinda bothers me. A few shows focusing on domestic issues would be most welcome.

All in all, an entertaining show. I commend the producers.

RobinCook

[8]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 4
    I do think this show is a good candidate for renewal. The narrative storytelling is well done, but a few things do bother me about the rest of the show, some can be altered and not sure about some other things. Narrative storytelling with visual action is a tried and true theme that has worked well for many shows, for example, Magnum PI. Comparing Tom Selleck to the actor cast in The Philantrhopist ... well. This actor takes getting used to and even at this stage of viewing, I'm still not warmed up to him. Give him red hair and an annoying nasal speech pattern and he reminds me of the actor in the recently cancelled Life series. He was an actor that I dreaded so much on the screen I turned the channel when the show came on. Despite the window dressing done with the actor, I still fail to see him in this role believably. Then, there are the stories that are good in themselves, but at the end I feel let down as if the show is trying too hard to teach me a lesson or some grand perspective that the story is supposed to reflect. Despite the actor, the character himself is not well developed enough for me to accept his status as a philantropist. Also, some shows that are trying to relate dire situations in other countries and then tend to overlook something important ... where the heck are these places on a map?!! Showing a map in such episodes would help considerably for people to identify better for the geographically challenged viewers like myself. I think this show has some promising aspects, but needs to beef up the intellectual scale somewhat and reduce the flair of being condescendingly narrative-arrogant. Presently the show has lack .. lacks people content to keep me in an excited interested fashion. But, like with Filthy, Sexy Money series, the first season had similar lack, but the second season picked up considerably and I got all excited about watching it ... then, got dumped. So, perhaps this show will have a similar lacking first season that turns viewers away waiting for something to happen, then charge ahead in the 2nd season for another dumping ground for their viewers.

ptkitty

[9]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 6
    Absolutely refreshingly cute-weird. Just different, and, quite frankly, it gives you a different perspective on living in a safe home having just ordinary problems. It makes you stop blowing things way out of propotion. And Purefoy is a really perfect fir for the part.

stubbies4

[10]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 6
    Most DEFINITELY!!! This show is great! I hope we as viewers don't lose another great show, only to be replaced by yet another reality television show.

1bebe1

[11]Aug 23, 2009
    Love this show. Well written and acted good story lines, deep insights into worlds issues we all need to be aware of. I hope it stays another season. Get the word out to save it

ChicosMom

[12]Sep 1, 2009
    Yes, please renew it in a heartbeat! My husband and I love this show. It's has a wonderful theme and I think could motivate people to help others in what ever capacity they can. You don't have to have money to help others, although this is generally how Teddy helps, you can help with your physical labor, your kind words, etc. EVERYONE has something to give another less fortunate or needy person.

mathgirl05

[13]Sep 9, 2009
    There are few shows out there that I can watch with my 13 year old son. This is one of them. Please don't cancel this show! In the past few years, all of the shows we loved have ended up getting canceled quickly. i.e. Surface, Jericho. This show has a great underlying message that all ages need to hear - we need to help those around us. Now NBC needs to step up to the plate and give it another chance!

Words4theSoul

[14]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 3
    I cannot believe they are actually thinking of cancelling it. I have been looking everywhere for it and all I find is America's Got Talent which I am afraid many of just think we do. This is the best show on prime-time in years. Who do they have those Nielsen boxes hooked up to?

zitzitta

[15]Sep 16, 2009
    • level: 8
    Words4theSoul wrote:
    Who do they have those Nielsen boxes hooked up to?

And that, my friend, is the million dollar question. Supposedly, the awful decisions networks have been making lately rely on what those little boxes say about audiences... I vote for a change of methodology, NOW!

detsfan

[16]Oct 3, 2009
    Marguss - I wholly support your review! I see you are a frequent commenter, which tells me you know what you like or not!! I am just out of shape over the reception this great new show has received from its audience as a whole. We need this kind of drama more now than ever before, I think. Although the comments about the story writing have some value - I would hope the comments would filter down to the right people and we would have this show RENEWED IMMEDIATELY! I realize this kind of show is expensive to produce, but quality demands that! I have been following James Purefoy since the '80s - I think he is a great talent and fits this role perfectly. All the cast is great. Let's hope for the best! My friends here in California love this show and all wish it is renewed.

MsDeborah

[17]Oct 8, 2009

There is a Facebook page devoted to The Philanthropist and a few of us are discussing putting together an effort to keep the show on the air. Something along the lines of what the Jericho fans and the Chuck fans did to keep their shows on the air.

The idea we have so far is based on the fact that two years ago the fans of Jericho sent over 40,000 pounds of nuts to the CBS studios to keep the network from cancelling the show. We're not suggesting we send nuts, instead we're suggesting we send donations to a charity in honor of the show, say $10 at least, and then sent in receipts or something to the network.

For example, we could all donate at least $10 to Human Rights Watch in honor of The Philanthropist. Just think, if every fan of this show listed on the Facebook page (which is currently at 1,727) donated $10 to HRW, right now that would mean $17,270. Even in a recession as bad as this, I think we could all scrounge up $10, especially if we could even get at least one more season out of this show.

We're still working on ideas yet we did write an email to the Sager Family Foundation to see if they had any suggestions for us. We would love to hear from as many Philanthropist fans as possible and the Facebook page is probably the best place to congregate. So check it out at: http://www.facebook.com/nbcphilanthropist?ref=mf

jade1122

[18]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 2

Yes!! Hell Yes!!!!

MsDeborah

[19]Oct 28, 2009

As some of you may have heard, The Philanthropist has been officially canceled by NBC as of October 21. A number of us fans and supporters of The Philanthropist are trying to urge NBC to reverse their decision to cancel the show. We just started a Facebook cause titled "Save The Philanthropist through Charity". We are a small group thus far but we are growing.

The purpose behind this cause is two-fold. First and foremost is to save this show from cancellation. This show is a great example of how two different ideologies (for lack of a better word) – capitalism and philanthropy – can coexist and work together effectively. In fact, the show not only demonstrates philanthropy and giving of oneself but it also shares ideas about how to solve tough social and economic problems by encouraging job stability in war torn and poverty stricken areas.

The second purpose of this cause is to demonstrate the impact that a show like this can have on its audience. Therefore, we have decided to collect donations on behalf of Human Rights Watch, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the human rights of people around the world.

We are asking fans and supporters of the show and of human rights in general to:

1. Become members of "Save The Philanthropist Through Charity" by visiting: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/380724 . As you go through the process, you will be asked to supply your email address. While this is not necessary, it is highly recommended so that we can keep you up-to-date on the status of the cause and the show.

2. Donate at least $10 to the cause. The money will go directly to Human Rights Watch. If you have any questions about how donations are handled check out http://apps.facebook.com/causes/help?category=Donation+questions .

3. Urge NBC's President of Primetime Entertainment to reverse the decision to cancel The Philanthropist by Following the directions for this action: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/actions/2241?cause_id=380724

You can also find this information at: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/causes/380724/about

Please take the time to help us save this show. Our cause is also entered in America's Giving Challenge which ends November 6th! So the sooner you can help us, the more money we can raise for HRW! Nevertheless, we will continue this cause beyond November 6th (until we get the show back on the air) so please join us when you see this message.

Thank you for your time,

Deborah Brancheau & Tamara Rudorfer

Cause Administrators

haldrey

[20]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 22
    Will do, but I doubt that anything will make NBC reverse their decision, they are to damn stubborn. Nowadays only standard crime and reality shows survive. Different shows like this one never advance.