The Pick Up Artist

Episode 1

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Aug 06, 2007 on VH1

• A bit of a slow start to the series.

The pilot episode [is it even referred to as a pilot in reality shows?] was a bit of a slow burner. Of course, we had to meet the potential pimps in progress, and later our host Mystery, but it wasn't overly revealing as to how the series was going to play out -- as far as the methods they were going to undertake, etc. It was mostly just the guys adjusting to the fact that they were all on tv and living in a mansion... and demonstrating that they were nerds so that we wouldn't have to wonder later on. Later on, of course, we met Mystery and two of his wing men so he could reveal the game to his new apprentices. The highlight, or the sadist's wet dream, was whenever they were all thrust into an Austin nightclub to show off their skills at attracting and interacting with women, or a severe lack thereof. Most got turned away at the proverbial gate. Some women walked away mid sentence, others simply ignored. One guy nearly wet himself in fear and didn't talk to anyone. And after they walked out of the club, humility flowing through their every vein, they were quickly critiqued before they got to see how the game was supposed to be played.

Mystery and his minions entered the club and each enthralled a woman (or two) to demonstrate the proper way to approach the process, and how each of them are expected to progress through the series.

In all, it was enough to make me watch the second episode, but it was merely a foreword into what might happen with things to come.