The Pick Up Artist

Monday 9:00 PM on VH1 Premiered Aug 06, 2007 Between Seasons

The Pick Up Artist Fan Reviews (7)

7.9
  • The silver lining for all nerds around the globe who suffer from sexual frustration.

In the beginning you have eight AFC's struggling to get off the bus with poor and giddy body language, making their way to a mansion that they hope will finally kill their virginities. AFC is an acronym within the seduction community for Average Frustrated Chump. They didn't know what to expect, what challenges awaited them, but they had hope that their fear of women will be resolved. A tall and bizarre looking man named Mystery, who'll serve as the mentor for these eight men, will guide them through the life he has lived that has taken him his entire life to learn, and condense his teachings in just eight weeks to create the master pick up artist.

I'm not a big fan of reality shows. They convey artificial interactions that are not congruent to human emotions, but they do a damn good job of character development. I've learned to stay away from them, but when I heard Mystery was hosting his own show about picking up women, it was an irresistible watch. Off topic note, but I've read many of Mystery's books and watched some of his videos, and it was difficult to grasp the concepts of his teachings. It's the complete opposite here in the Pick Up Artist; his teachings are the same, though they're much more clear to understand.

The beginning of this show started off great. I saw eight men in front of me that I related to, and saw them stumble and fall, and even cry, as they failed field tests while being eliminated. Seeing them interact with each other as they pull through their journey from AFC to PUA--Pick Up Artist--was rewarding. It was almost like watching those generic save the world cartoons about a party of people with super natural powers that are unique to each member. The Pick Up Artist created great tension in its elimination process because you didn't want to see any of them go. It was almost like watching your circle of friends break apart one by one.

As the show progressed, expectedly with Mystery as your mentor, the character developments kicked up an entire notch. Those who remained experienced their game take a major step up as their fear of approaching women dwindling down to nothing. It's just sad to see that we can't see all eight of them develop as one, but like all reality shows, there needs to be a greater purpose than what the shows theme is based upon. Seeing the guys string together a successful pick up was not only fun to watch, but it also bred food for learning for those watching. Joe D, an overweight man, was self conscious of his outlook and was stuck in his parent's basement playing World of Warcraft. Next thing you know he looks like the perfect Pick Up Artist gaming on beautiful women. Brady looked like a total nerd in the beginning, and next thing you know he's making out with an exotic dancer.

Character development was flawless, but the interactions, which made the bulk of the beginning of the show, suffered. It was much too melodramatic. Sure they were all great friends and developed a deep bond over the past weeks, but they're all men! Crying, and even holding each other's hands while they await who was eliminated, almost seemed like a stepback from manhood to me. And while I thought Pradeep was annoying, the show made too much of a scene with his little slap on Joe D, and Joe D, along with everyone else, reacted to the situation almost out of context. It just displayed to me the thing I hate the most about reality shows; artificial interactions that are not congruent to regular humanly situations.

The shows elimination process, while a bit exciting in the beginning, was part of the show I did not want to watch. They override the tension, and suspense is lost. The results of the elimination seemed pretty apparent just by having an overview of everyone's performances. The dramatic symphonic music that compliments it makes it seem like a decision if Germany should go to war with America, again. To put it in simpler terms, while the song was catchy, it was not appropriate for the situation. Something a little less violins and trumpets.

Reality shows is not my favourite genre, but they almost always have great character development and that intangible feeling of not wanting to see a person leave the group. What separates The Pick Up Artist from others of it kinds is that it teaches you invaluable methods instead of waiting to see if that guy is going to go out with that overrated looking celebrity. Not only do the contestants transform from AFC to PUA, but you're being taught all the while. Let me tell you; I much more enjoyed myself watching this show than all of those confusing videos of Mystery explaining the whole process without ever pausing for a break between sentences. Overall, The Pick Up Artist had a lot going for it, and it was a very enjoyable watch on many levels. It's too bad Spoon disgraced us all asians and quit after the first field test.