The Pillars of the Earth

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 23, 2010 on Starz

There may not be as much anticipation surrounding Pillars of the Earth as there is with HBO's mini-series, but a lot of people are still excited for the latest foray into the past from premium channel Starz.

There are some big names here as Ian McShane, Donald Sutherland and Alison Pill (who was fantastic on In Treatment last year) are all a part of the festivities.

Things are a bit hard to follow throughout this pilot as a lot characters are introduced, characters with few discernable unique traits, but there will be plenty of time for that later. Right now viewers should just try to sit back and watch and pick up what they can.

What I did see was a well-directed period drama that could get great over time. This first hour was a bit slow-moving, but throughout time I think it will most definitely improve and pick up in pace.
  • This episode is just the beginning of the saga.....

I was glad to see this book on TV. I have enjoyed the plot so far, only looking to see if it is entertaining. I am not holding it to be true to the book as nothing is as vivid as my imagination when reading a good book. I am watching it on Netflix as we do not have broadcast or cable TV, so I am waiting a bit until I can do a marathon of sorts to see what the other episodes have in store! I love the actor selection so far and look forward to see "Jack" grow to Master Builder. I did imagine Ellen a bit more of a looker, but then it was in the 12th far I am enjoying it!