TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Pillars of the Earth Forums

Starz (Mini-Series 2010)

Did anyone actually watch this?

mermayd

[1]Jul 25, 2010
    • level: 19

This hasn't aired in the UK yet - did anyone watch it in the US. There's almost no buzz about it anywhere. What's going on? Have to admit, this doesn't bode well.....

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SartaqKhan

[2]Jul 25, 2010
    • level: 7

Its pretty bad so far(15 minutes in). Which is depressing because I love the time period and the actors.

mermayd

[3]Jul 26, 2010
    oh no! I loved the book so was really excited when i heard it was being made into a tv series. It's long enough to warrant being a mini series. Film just isn't long enough to do justice to the story.

curses and blast!

boom-moo

[4]Jul 27, 2010
    • level: 75
    Well, I really liked it. The actors are solid, the sets impressive and the on location spots really beautiful. The episode went by with a click of the fingers, I can't wait for more

GreggyLiwag

[5]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 2

havent read the book but so far, i like the TV version

boom-moo

[6]Jul 28, 2010
    GreggyLiwag wrote:

havent read the book but so far, i like the TV version

I highly recommend that you read the book. If you like the show, you'd love the book!

haldrey

[7]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 22
    Will read the book after the TV show which so far I am liking. It is another period but although not as good as The Tudors I liked the first two hours.

Audiovore

[8]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 5
    Eh. It was ok. Thing I didn't like is they seem to be changing historical fact for no reason, which it seems the book only lightly did, and only when necessary, and changing the fictional characters unnecessarily. The last bit of Rome fell apart due to this, which is always a pity.

ravensron

[9]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 2

Had just started reading the book, which I bought because I heard some chapters of it on the "Audible Books" station on satellite radio. So far, the deviations from the book are acceptable, to fit it into the space of a TV series and concentrate on visually dramatic parts of the story,although having Jack be a full-size teenager instead of a small pre-teen was somewhat jarring.Don't know enough about the actual history to know when the TV show is taking great liberties; in our historyStephen did manage to hang on to the throne until he died and Maud's son then became Henry II and right now in the series he's alive and kinging-it...and how could we know if he really did have prophetic nightmares as he does in the show. Ian McShane is absolutely perfect as the scheming bishop, which as ever is worth the price of admission.

boom-moo

[10]Aug 4, 2010
    So far I can accept the deviations from the book as well and they were to be expected anyway. Ken Follet himself says in the making of videos that he is really pleased with the script and that it is not about doing it just like the original but about getting a grasp of it. I know it can get frustrating for die hard fans of the book but that's what we get. Also, Ken said that if 'The Pillars of the Earth' does well, they are planning to make 'A World Without End' too which is fantastic in my opinion

CouchPeanut

[11]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 12

I remember reading this book ages ago and thinking what a great movie it would make. A series like this is even better since the many different characters and all the subplots can be explored in greater depth. None of the characters are anything like I imagined them, but I don't mind because they've cast some of my favourite actors. Rufus Sewell is always great in a period drama (I've had a bit of a crush on him ever since watching him in Middlemarch).

amaryllis88

[12]Aug 6, 2010
    • level: 20
    I've been wanting to watch the series, but I must've been late to the game with taping it. I think there's a marathon of sorts on Starz this evening which I'm in the middle of taping, and will hopefully watch soon, and comment!

Since you recommend the book, I'll definitely have to read it!

walker1812

[13]Aug 6, 2010
    • level: 3

I'm watching it, I'm enjoying it. I read Ken Follet's book the first time 20 years ago... it seems to follow pretty accurately to the story as I recall but I think in trying to get everything in the pace can sometimes be a little fast... maybe that is me. I'd enjoy hearing a review from someone who has never read the book

YeOldOne

[14]Aug 7, 2010
    • level: 10
    I've watched the first two episodes and the quality of acting and production is top-notch. The realism is fantastic and so far the only fault I can find with it was the fire at the cathedral, the way the building collapsed just didn't look right.

If I've read it correctly we get it on Channel 4 later this year.

For anyone who has not found it yet there is a "making of" and a lot more at http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv

boom-moo

[15]Aug 7, 2010
    For those wanting to catch up, I have added a "Broadcast" list under 'Notes' in every episode. They are repeating every episode several times.

walker1812 wrote:
    it seems to follow pretty accurately to the story as I recall but I think in trying to get everything in the pace can sometimes be a little fast... maybe that is me.
    I have that feeling too but the book is too brilliant to be conveniently conveyed and paced on tv time. An 8 hour deal is the best Ken Follet has ever gotten and I'm really glad he didn't pass the opportunity this time

torontogirl98

[16]Sep 28, 2010
    I just started watching it on Movie Central since we don't get Starz in Canada. I really like the actors, time period and story but there is a little bit too much graphic content in some parts but other than that I really am enjoying the show (1/2 through the show right now)

boom-moo

[17]Sep 30, 2010
    It's running in my country presently and there are little little scenes here and there that didn't air in the Starz version. Some graphic ones and some non graphic ones. They didn't really add anything important though so I guess it was a matter of time slot constraints.

TracyTrouble

[18]Oct 23, 2010
    I am, I think it's excellent.

sianwadey

[19]Oct 23, 2010
    • level: 9
    Me!

Yazmac

[20]Oct 23, 2010
    Finally caught up on episode 1 - will defo be watching the rest of the series