Show finale (eps 1x07 and 1x08) discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 75
    This is the thread to discuss the series (and show) finale, episodes 1x07 'New Beginnings' and 1x08 'The Work of Angels'.

Thank you
    Edited on 08/28/2010 3:40pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sprockets2000

[2]Aug 28, 2010
    • level: 5
    was it on tonight?

Eric10301

[3]Aug 28, 2010
    • level: 12

Series or Season finale? There is a difference in America.

boom-moo

[4]Aug 28, 2010
    Series (both as in season and show) finale, the show is over. Episodes 1x07 and 1x08 aired together as a 2 hour finale on Friday August 27th on Starz. No more Pillars of the Earth *pouts*
    Edited on 08/28/2010 3:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.

amaryllis88

[5]Aug 29, 2010
    • level: 20
    These two episodes were amazing!! What an awesome conclusion to a series that I will definitely miss. I couldn't wait to find out what was gonna happen to William of Hamleigh, and his awful mother, Waleran, and definitely couldn't wait to find out the "secret," that Remigius knew.

What a twist at the end though, I couldn't believe that it was the other monk that was gonna stab Jack, and that Waleran recruited Alfred to provoke Jack. Wow, I can't wait to buy this series on dvd. I'm sad that it's over.

boom-moo

[6]Aug 30, 2010
    It was great to see Ken Follet on the show as well, and he did pretty well Ever since I watched the making of video I was wondering when would he show up.

haldrey

[7]Aug 30, 2010
    • level: 22
    Fantastic finale, that's the way to wrap a show. I only have one complaint, that it was too short. The last shot of the cathedral, does that means that this story was based on a real and still exiting cathedral?

boom-moo

[8]Aug 30, 2010
    haldrey wrote:
    The last shot of the cathedral, does that means that this story was based on a real and still exiting cathedral?
    According to the introduction in my book, Ken Follet had always been interested in churches, but it wasn't until he visited Peterborough cathedral in East Anglia that he had the 'reveal' (as he calls it) that he had to write a book about the construction of a cathedral. Peterborough cathedral with its height and gothic arches had a huge impression in him so he dedicated the next few years to visiting cathedrals all around England and researching about their construction. I know he has been visiting some cathedrals in France and Spain too, because I've collected paper and magazine clippings about it for a while.

So I don't think the story is based just in one cathedral in particular. I don't know if the last shot is CGI or a real cathedral though. I know that the filmed several shots of Salisbury cathedral to be used as Kingsbridge cathedral and that Westminster Abbey was used for the interior shots of Saint Denis. The last shot looks to me like a combination of Salisbury cathedral and CGI. They actually thank the masons and management of the cathedral in the credits.
    Edited on 09/01/2010 7:06am
    Edited 2 total times.

cassiop_yeaaah

[9]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 7

The end was brilliant! I loved it. I'll miss this show for sure. I am now just hoping that they will keep on with the idea of adapting the second book. I don't know if the church we saw at the end is a real one or not but the idea of showing this sort of legacy was a good one and very moving lol. After all the works and all they've been through, it was not for nothing as nowadays we still have this testimony that kind of make them live forever.

boom-moo wrote:
    It was great to see Ken Follet on the show as well, and he did pretty well Ever since I watched the making of video I was wondering when would he show up.
    What ?? when ??? lol

boom-moo

[10]Aug 31, 2010
    cassiop_yeaaah wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    What ?? when ??? lol
    12:34 into the episode. He is the Anglo-French friend of Jack's father's family

haldrey

[11]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 22
    Thanks boom-moo.

twobells

[12]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 6

The final scene is Salisbury cathedral with some minor cgi to connect the Kingsbridge cathderal with the real one.

What infuriates me is how England is so very rich in history and how that same history impacted on the world yet the show (although wonderful) was made by Canada & Germany.

Good luck to them but I wish we had the vision to invest more in historically-based epics.

Edited on 09/02/2010 12:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

cindychrissley

[13]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 1

Hi my name is Cindy,

We loved the show but missed the last show hydro went out that night how do I watch it here or can I

Missed out

dif_frent

[14]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 10

Type "Pillars of the Earth" in google. Throw in "megaupload" or a similar name. This will help.

boom-moo

[15]Sep 13, 2010
    cindychrissley wrote:

Hi my name is Cindy,

We loved the show but missed the last show hydro went out that night how do I watch it here or can I

Missed out

You can't miss it, it's a good finale. I pm-ed you