The Pitts

Pilot

Aired Sunday 9:30 PM Mar 30, 2003 on FOX

5.8
  • Great start to a hilarious series.

I was immediately attracted to "The Pitts" when I first saw the promos for it, which was only about two days before the actual premiere. I had never really watched a FOX sitcom before, mostly because of my parents, and on the rare occasion they watched one it was usually a CBS or ABC sitcom.

I wanted to watch "The Pitts" but my parents said no, because they thought it looked really stupid, so I found a blank tape and went to my grandma's house, where she let me watch it.

I found the pilot episode to be extremely funny, and I was laughing through the whole thing. I grew attached quickly, because I'd never seen anything like it before. Plus, it helped that the daughter, played by Lizzy Caplan (Tru Calling, Related) was really hot.

In the pilot, Bob and Liz Pitt hire are forced to hire a nanny because of their kids' constant fighting. The nanny turns out to be Smelly Shelley, a girl from high school who was stood up by Bob when he decided to go to the prom with Liz instead. She grew insane over the years and became more and more obsessed with him and finally decided to make her move after seeing their nanny wanted ad. In a humorous ending, Liz and the kids escape the trunk they've been trapped in and they all fight Shelley until she gets electrocuted in the tub.

I can understand why someone would not like this show, because it was definitely different: the whole thing makes fun of itself and spoofs on nearly every movie it can think of. However, whoever would say that this show is unoriginal is sadly mistaken, because shows like this are far, far too rare.