The Playboy Club

Pilot

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 19, 2011 on NBC

7.7
  • A look into the Playboy Club a.k.a Mad Men lite.

I checked this show out solely out of curiosity: would the show be a smart look at the 60's culture the way Mad Mendoes or would it be a ploy to include as much eye candy as possible? It turns out it's the latter, and boy, as beautiful as the women look here, the show just has too many problems right now, and I don't think anything can fix it. I doubt the ratings will be good enough to warrant sticking around, which is good. I'll stick around for a couple more weeks, but I don't have high hopes.

The show says it's about the Playboy Club in the 60's, but instead, we get a weird look into a Bunny named Maureen (Amber Heard) who accidentally murders a mob boss. Helping her dispose of the body is Nick Dalton, a Don Draper wanna-be without the intrigue. There's a bunch ofominousscenes where the mob threatens them, but for the most part, I really didn't care because these characters don't interest me whatsoever.

So if I hate the show so much, why didn't I rate it lower? Because I liked the atmosphere of the episode; the songs that the Bunnies sang and the whole ambiance of the Pilot made me feel like this really was the 60's. Amber Heard does an okay job as well... I bag on the show a lot here, but she should be in a better show than this. Also, it seems like the writers are trying WAY too hard to bring intrigue and suspense into every single plot of the show. Shows should learn how to not have A.D.H.D so much and calm down, focusing on a couple of plots at a time and not needing a secret for every single one.

We'll see how the show pans out, but I don't exactly have the highest hopes for it.