The Practice Forums

ABC (ended 2004)

DVD Relese Info???? - Dates have been announced!! 1st release June 12

What special features would you like to see the most on DVD?

johnnybazooka

[21]Jan 25, 2006
    • level: 1
    The reason all of David E. Kelley's shows have problems getting to dvd is that they use quite a bit of popular music in them. This creates problems with the music companies when it comes to being able to put this music on dvd collections. Its a huge hassle and takes forever to determine the rights and agreement. Ally Mcbeal was able to put out a limited set, but since they used so much music, they haven't been able to put out a full one. Boston Public, Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Legal will all see DVD releases, but not as quick as we hope, though i've heard that Boston Legal and Ally McBeal will see dvd releases in the first half of 2006. Here is the article: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#012006 and this was linked from http://www.boston-legal.org/ Hope this helps.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hammerz_13

[22]Feb 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    there was also an article on tvshowsondvd.com...it was about all the DAVID E Kelly shows....i linked it to boston public, cuz it is the one i want on dvd the most ( LOVE the practice too, but it fizzled for me a little...i always loved Boston Public!..but both are amazing!....check out the boston public board for the link if you wish....it sounds a little promising thou!

cwbybri

[23]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 24
    johnnybazooka wrote:
    The reason all of David E. Kelley's shows have problems getting to dvd is that they use quite a bit of popular music in them. This creates problems with the music companies when it comes to being able to put this music on dvd collections. Its a huge hassle and takes forever to determine the rights and agreement. Ally Mcbeal was able to put out a limited set, but since they used so much music, they haven't been able to put out a full one. Boston Public, Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Legal will all see DVD releases, but not as quick as we hope, though i've heard that Boston Legal and Ally McBeal will see dvd releases in the first half of 2006. Here is the article: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#012006 and this was linked from http://www.boston-legal.org/ Hope this helps.

No offense to what you posted, but it sounds like an excuse. But I do believe you, as it sounds like Kelly. Lots of other shows use popular music, but find their way to DVD.

I'm sure that Kelly is not willing to spend extra money on music rights. He seems to me a penny pinching miser to me. Look what he did to the cast after they tried to get more money. He fired them, and the show was over in a year.

rstjames

[25]Feb 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 02/13/2006 6:48pm

cwbybri

[27]Oct 4, 2006
    No news as of yet. Our wait continues.

cwbybri

[28]Oct 24, 2006

You can vote for your favorite shows to be released on DVD at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/. I'm not sure if it makes it release any faster, but there is one benefit for voting. When it does release, you get an email letting you know. One of the shows I voted for, "Whose Line is it Anyway", I got an email announcing it's release. They even asked for my input on what kind of special features they should have.

joeyheric

[29]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    On recording TP from FX.
    I hate it with those FX promos that they put in lower left hand part of the screen. One show when Bobby got off a child molester. It shows Bobby having a dream with the molester telling Bobby it was his turn and there was the little boy shakeing in the corner...a very dark disturbing scene...and theres Danny Devito Dancing in the corner , it realy ruined the whole thing.

cwbybri

[30]Oct 26, 2006
    Or you have sound effects coming from the promotion, that interferes with the dialogue and you can't hear it. That drives me nuts.

cwbybri

[31]Nov 12, 2006
    I have an update. TVshowsondvd.com is reporting that The Practice and Picket Fences may be released on DVD in 2007! There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!

hammerz_13

[32]Nov 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    i know!...here's the like http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6600

hmnut7

[33]Nov 12, 2006
    • level: 12
    Finally a reason not to jump in front of train. 

cwbybri

[35]Feb 28, 2007

No news since November on any releases. It's still early in the year, and the latest was that they could release in 2007. No definate dates; however.

I will post something as soon as I know about it.

cwbybri

[36]Mar 14, 2007

Volume one is set to be released June 12. It will include season one and parts of season two. That seems fitting because part of season one was probably meant to be part of season one at some point.

There will be 13 episodes total and a featurette on a four disk set.

Edited on 03/14/2007 2:52pm

magnolia12883

[37]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 3

Hey! I never expect anything to happen that's exciting with TV DVD news since MILLENNIUM and many of my other favorite shows are totally out on DVD (or at least as far as they can currently be if still airing), but here's great news from TVShowsonDVD.com!

Edited on 03/14/2007 11:04pm

magnolia12883

[38]Mar 14, 2007

Hoping it's a typo: On the news item I just posted on PRACTICE DVD's from TVShowsonDVD.com, I noticed the list of episodes is indeed the first 6, along with the first 7 of season 2, but two episodes appear out of order:

Disc 1: 1. Pilot; 2. Part I; 3. Trial and Error; 4. Part IV

Disc 2: 5. Part V; 6. Part VI; 7. Reasonable Doubts; 8. Betrayal

Disc 3: 9. The Blessing; 10. Dog Bite; 11. First Degree

Disc 4: 12. Search and Seizure; 13. Sex, Lies and  Monkeys; FEATURETTE: Setting Up the Practice

According to TV.com and every other epguide for this show, Search and Seizure aired AFTER Sex, Lies and Monkeys (which was part 2 of a story begun in First Degree)! So, if this set's layout is true and NOT a typo, that would mean we have a two-part story airing out of order. I vaguely remember seeing a rerun of this on FX a while back (when I had cable) and think it was aired out of order too!

cwbybri

[39]Mar 14, 2007
    magnolia12883 wrote:

Hoping it's a typo: On the news item I just posted on PRACTICE DVD's from TVShowsonDVD.com, I noticed the list of episodes is indeed the first 6, along with the first 7 of season 2, but two episodes appear out of order:

Disc 1: 1. Pilot; 2. Part I; 3. Trial and Error; 4. Part IV

Disc 2: 5. Part V; 6. Part VI; 7. Reasonable Doubts; 8. Betrayal

Disc 3: 9. The Blessing; 10. Dog Bite; 11. First Degree

Disc 4: 12. Search and Seizure; 13. Sex, Lies and  Monkeys; FEATURETTE: Setting Up the Practice

According to TV.com and every other epguide for this show, Search and Seizure aired AFTER Sex, Lies and Monkeys (which was part 2 of a story begun in First Degree)! So, if this set's layout is true and NOT a typo, that would mean we have a two-part story airing out of order. I vaguely remember seeing a rerun of this on FX a while back (when I had cable) and think it was aired out of order too!

They air in the correct order, but the titles of the episodes really seem to be in the wrong order. #11 probably should be titled Search & Seizure, and #12 should be titled First Degree. Why they are titled the way that they are, I'm not sure. But if you watch First Degree and then watch Search & Seizure, the continuity runs smoothly.

You are correct, you did not make a typo. And regardless of what I think the titles should be, they are titled in the order that you layed out.

8speed

[40]Mar 31, 2007

I heard last week and saw the Amazon posting soonafter... and all I can say is, it's about time.

!!!

The excuse that DEK's shows using alot of music is true, but I don't think that applies to The Practice. I've seen most of the series again, and there isn't much other than the show's signature dramatic BGMs.

As for extras, I'd like to see ALL of them. Maybe not the outtakes because the outtakes for dramatic shows really aren't that entertaining (versus comedy, which is usually just as funny or even funnier). But yea, definitely yes to deleted scenes/alternate takes and especially interviews with the staff and cast.

And lastly, I'm not very happy to see "volumes". I'd much rather have "season" sets. I would've liked to see a 2-disc set for Season 1 and with some extras (interviews with cast). And then give each of the seasons their own 6-disc/7-disc box like every other show.

Their planned set-up will keep costs down, but it'll be a long... LONG time before they finish up the series if this is how they're gonna do it. I mean, the show is like 168 some-odd episodes. 

13 episodes is like a day, day and a half of TV. :p