The Practice Forums

ABC (ended 2004)

Is Boston Legal a spin off or not?

joeyheric

[1]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 6

What can I say about this episode? Has DEK gone over the deep end?
    The most disconcerting scene had to be with Alan holding up the giant
    queue cards for Denny. Don't get me wrong. I long ago accepted DEK's
    direction with the show with satire and slapstick but this stuff is
    in 3 stooges land now. And what's with this fascination that DEK has
    with parties and Louie Armstrong music? I have seen the
    same "touching party" scene several times in The Practice. But at
    least there is was spread out over 8 seasons. The best one was when
    Jimmy won his big trial against Tommy Silva and at the end of the
    show it was a Christmas party where everyone is slow dancing to DEK's
    favorite blues or jazz singer and there is Jimmy standing alone
    knowing like a guardian angel he was there to protect his "family".
    That one "party" scene was 10 times better the all the "party" scenes
    on BL. What? You think it's cute to see Alan Shore dressed up like a
    flamingo, bunny, Shirley? My God what is next?
    Many people are angry with me if I post what they perceive as
    negative comments about BL. Please believe me it is not about hate
    but Love. My love for the 2 greatest characters ever created in TV
    land. I think we want BL to succeed so badly that we will forgive DEK
    for anything he does. I think that is wrong. Just like when you see a
    family member doing something wrong it is your responsibility to
    stand up and to intervene.
    Comments...........

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LostSux

[2]Jul 18, 2007

First, that was a very strange first post for a thread titled 'Is Boston Legal a spin off or not?'

Secondly it's simple. If you like Boston Legal watch it. If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

I watch Boston Legal cause I like it. I don't watch American Idol, cause I hate it. See how simple that is? I used to share your hatred or zealotry, if you like. Only my zealotry, or 'Love' as you call it was for Lost. I was so critical of it. I would watch it every week, and bombard the forum with my criticism of why I didn't like the show and what the creative team was doing wrong. Then it hit me. I should just stop watching it. I did. And guess what? I'm a lot happier now. I'm not going to debate with you the quality of Boston Legal versus that of the Practice because our minds are already made up about that isn't it? I'm not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to give you some perspective that you might consider.

joeyheric

[3]Jul 19, 2007
    I just think it's a shame that DEK came up with these 2 wonderful charcters on TP. Shore and Crane. Then turned them into Flamingos. Its a great idea squandered. The 3 seasons of BL have yet to equal the last 5 shows of TP.
    This is not my opinion but a fact.

LostSux wrote:

First, that was a very strange first post for a thread titled 'Is Boston Legal a spin off or not?'

Secondly it's simple. If you like Boston Legal watch it. If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

I watch Boston Legal cause I like it. I don't watch American Idol, cause I hate it. See how simple that is? I used to share your hatred or zealotry, if you like. Only my zealotry, or 'Love' as you call it was for Lost. I was so critical of it. I would watch it every week, and bombard the forum with my criticism of why I didn't like the show and what the creative team was doing wrong. Then it hit me. I should just stop watching it. I did. And guess what? I'm a lot happier now. I'm not going to debate with you the quality of Boston Legal versus that of the Practice because our minds are already made up about that isn't it? I'm not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to give you some perspective that you might consider.

LostSux

[4]Jul 19, 2007
    I tried.

randan02

[5]Jul 19, 2007
    • level: 10
    I agree with Lostsux. It makes no sense to watch a show in which you don't like the two main characters. Why not watch a show in which there are no flamingos? Problem solved. And Joeyheric, I wouldn't dare disagree with your 'cold hard facts'.
    Edited on 07/19/2007 2:28pm

jdpneto

[6]Jul 19, 2007
    joeyheric wrote:
    I just think it's a shame that DEK came up with these 2 wonderful charcters on TP. Shore and Crane. Then turned them into Flamingos. Its a great idea squandered. The 3 seasons of BL have yet to equal the last 5 shows of TP.
    This is not my opinion but a fact.

LostSux wrote:

It's no fact, it's your oppinion, and if you see the average score of the last 5 episodes you'll see that not everyone agrees with you.

The flamingo part was even funny (boston legal is an obvious atempt at a dramady), what wasn't funny was denny crane jumping into a room with a gun in his hands for the closing or the midget complex. Everything is good if it is supported by some kind of plausible feeling, but overdoing it might kill the show.

With that said, the two characters still exist, but in my opinion, denny crane should be cured from his "illness" and start acting like a real lawyer when in a courtroom. Raimond Oz was a perfect example of how it is done (I'm convinced he was the basis of the denny crane character), that alan and denny could make the terrible paring they were promised to be...

Trickleforge

[7]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 1
    That's a good question.  DEK, as you call him, has allowed BL to become incredibly formulaic and agenda-driven.  When that happens, the program quality diminishes.  Does EVERY episode have to be about some pressing social issue?  Must we be inundated with DEK's decidedly left-leaning opinions on Gays in the Military, abortion, the death penalty, or whatever issue he decides to tackle from one week to the next? One wonders, from week-to-week, what angle DEK will push in his quest to slam the Bush Administration.  Sure, they deserve to take their licks, but would there be a BL without George Bush?  Another interesting question.
    When the primary goal is to prostilitize or propagandize your audience first, and entertain them second, your program will not last.  I guess it's a bit presumptious for me to feel that I don't need DEK to tell me how to feel about the aforementioned topics.  Don't ask, don't tell?  That policy was initiated under the Clinton Administration.  DEK doesn't take many shots in that direction, for obvious reasons.

MichaelCee

[8]Dec 18, 2007
    • level: 2

I stopped watching "BL" last year for reasons pointed out by two of the posters already. First of all, the show has become a parody of itself and the "three stooges" comparison is not off far from the truth, in my view. And too, the constant necessity to be a mouthpiece for a left wing political stance leaves me wondering if the show sponsors really desire to sell their products only to liberals.

I've looked back in from time to time to see if a semblance of reality might be creeping back in, but have continued to be disappointed. Oh for the solid legal wranglings and intense, well scripted courtroom battles that were once common on The Practice. I really miss the presence of a serious law drama, and sincerely hope that one will make an appearance in the near future.

Edited on 12/18/2007 8:43pm

randan02

[9]Dec 28, 2007
    MichaelCee wrote:

I stopped watching "BL" last year for reasons pointed out by two of the posters already.

I wish more forum members would take your cue. If you don't like a show, stop watching it and complaining about it the following day in the forum. You took the high road. Congrats.

macz57

[10]Feb 17, 2009

Hello!

I am coming completely out of left field here with an un-related question to you. It's just that I am new to tv.com and am unsure where I should post this question and you seem quite knowledgeable! My wife and I are watching Boston Legal in NORWAY and we are way, way behind you guys. (I'm talking 4th episode, 2nd season here!)

However, my question is this: Wikipedia states the following about Boston Legal (It's the last sentence that intrigues me!):

'Boston Legal was renewed for a second season on April 5, 2005. The final five episodes of the first season were initially pre-empted until April 24, 2005 for several weeks to expose mid-season series Grey's Anatomy to a larger audience behind Desperate Housewives.[9] Grey's Anatomy, however, was highly successful in the timeslot, and Boston Legal was pre-empted until the fall of 2005, where it would take over NYPD Blue's Tuesday timeslot for an extended season of twenty-seven episodes.[10][11] Both Rhona Mitra and Monica Potter departed the series over the hiatus, while Julie Bowen was cast as Denise Bauer.[12] Ryan Michelle Bathe and Justin Mentell were later cast as junior associates Sara Holt and Garrett Wells.[13] A new writing staff headed by Janet Leahy took over as of episode four of the second season.'

My wife and I watched episode 4 of the second season last night and both of us commented on how the structure and style seemed different. This was before we had read the Wikipedia article that clearly states that Janet Leahey headed the writing staff. However, tv.com lists David E. Kelley as being the writer of this episode and it is not until a few episodes later that the writing credits change, somewhat sporadically too. So who was the writer?

Also, what is the story behind the 'hiatus' referred to above, that caused Rhona Mitra and Monica Potter to depart the series? I just wish there was somewhere where I could read about 'The Story behind Boston Legal'.

Anyway, if you (or someone out there!) are able to answer ANY of this stuff then you would make my wife and I extremely happy. We are confirmed BL nuts!!

Regards,

Matthew Collins

DavidBaker8

[11]Dec 17, 2011

I do love Boston Legal but here's the problem:

In an episode of Alley Mcbeal characters were seen to be watching an episode of The Practice (Head in the bag episode). However characters from Alley Mcbeal later appeared in an episode of The Practice titled Axe Murderer.

So fictional characters from a TV show (The Practice) magically came to life. They must have done or how else could they have met and worked alongside characters from The Practice in the murder trial?

Perhaps I missed the episode where magician David Copperfield guest starred as himself and brought the characters to life with a few magic words?

Did David Copperfield also appear in The Practice? In an episode of The Practice a witness claimed that they had been watching an episode of Boston Public at the time they saw the accused. In prior episodes characters from Boston Public had crossed over into The Practice. Once again characters from a show which is meant to be based within the same fictional universe had previously been fictional characters (in the shows' storyline I mean. I'm well aware they are fictional characters).

You may recall an episode of The Practice in which Steven Harper, Boston Public Principle appeared in an episode of The Practice in which he
    was given probation despite refusing to admit to the murder he was convicted of. And no I'm not mistaken, the actor who played him didn't play a different character in The Practice (and Boston Legal)

And one final though! Alley Mcbeal and Boston Legal are comedies so how can The Practice and Boston Public be in the same fictional universe as its sister shows. And then there's Gideon's Crossing, another serious drama series, also having crossed over with The Practice.

DavidBaker8

[12]Dec 18, 2011
    http://watch-the-practice-for-free-online.xbuild.com

Edie70

[13]Jun 27, 2012
    • level: 19
    Didn't like BOSTON LEGAL very much. I thought it was very silly, unrealistic and the characters seemed rather cartoonish. Except Candice Bergen's and John Larroquette's.