The Practice Forums

ABC (ended 2004)

When did TP "Jump the shark"?

joeyheric

[1]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    FX is rerunning the end of season 6. Where Lindsy shhots the Hanniabler Lector chacter. This has to be shark jummping momet. Because it was all down hill from there through the enitre season 7.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hmnut7

[2]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 12
    Yes I was watching it just this morning and literally thought to myself "Oh yeah this is when they jumped the shark."

reecee

[3]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    that and when they fired almost everybody

citybug

[4]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 9
    Yeah... Season 7 was bad but then somewhat resurrected due to James Spader. Although I am a loyal fan of the Practice, I have to say that James Spaders did a good job in revitalizing the show.

TreyRoo1

[5]Aug 3, 2006

Personally I don't see where any jury would call it murder when a schizo serial killer whom you have a restraining order against comes to your apartment, says he's going to take you to heaven, and then you shoot him. Even for a story it's too far fetched.

JenJen130

[6]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 11
    It wasn't just the guilty verdict but the entire story. Lindsay was my favorite character but she had already been stabbed, then there was Hinks and the Hannibal Lector storyline just wasn't needed at that point in the show.

joeyheric

[7]Aug 14, 2006
    Then Lindsy get involved with another serial killer at the end of season 7 with a Mr Meeks i belive. Give me a break.

pirategennie

[8]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    yeah you guys have it about right. i disagree somewhat about spader. i like him and he's great on boston legal. i like boston legal but rather resented having it represented as the practice. it's a different show and a different SORT of show, and people tuning in the watch the practice shouldn't have had to find themselves watching boston legal instead, under the name of the practice. true, that helped it find its legs. but it didn't help most of the viewers!

g

cwbybri

[9]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 24

I would have to say the shark had two parts. The first part was with Lindsay shooting her stalker. It was kind, here we go again. And then having a guilty verdict but somehow getting out of it, it was too much of a stretch.

The second part was with Bobby cheating on Lindsay. That set the story lines into a tail spin that they never came out of.

pirategennie

[10]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 10
    cwbybri wrote:

I would have to say the shark had two parts. The first part was with Lindsay shooting her stalker. It was kind, here we go again. And then having a guilty verdict but somehow getting out of it, it was too much of a stretch.

The second part was with Bobby cheating on Lindsay. That set the story lines into a tail spin that they never came out of.

true, it was only a kiss, but it was decidedly soapy.

g

joeyheric

[11]Dec 20, 2006

I belive the plot with Bobby cheating on Lindsay was decided on when ABC told DEK thay the show was to expensive and if he didn't bring costs down it would be canceled. Therefore this plot line was made up mid season to write Bobby and Linsay out of the show to save on their high salarys.

Season 7 was  the worst season but moving it to Tuesday nights sure didn't help.

AgentReznick

[12]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 2
    I guess I am in the minority here, but I actually loved the storyline of Lindsay shooting the guy and going to jail and the rest of the firm fighting to get her out. I loved the emotion between her and Bobby and all the other characters, the degree they cared about each other, and I felt such a raw sense of justice when she was sentenced to life. I think the only time I ever cried at an episode was the scene where Bobby brings Bobby Jr. to visit Lindsay in jail and then she breaks down crying as they go. I thought that whole storyline was really well-handled, and I think it's somewhat realistic that Lindsay could have lost it and shot the guy after everything she had been through.

I think the jumping the shark moment was after she got out, first when she started her own firm, which took away the interaction between her and the other characters that I really liked, and then especially when she and Bobby broke up. I just watched that part last night and I didn't see it coming and it was really depressing. Now I don't even feel like I want to watch the rest of the season, and I have little interest in season 8, when they write out half the cast, including a lot of my favorite characters (Bobby, Lindsay, Helen, Lucy).

blackmage8472

[13]Feb 16, 2010
    • level: 15

AgentReznick wrote:
    I guess I am in the minority here, but I actually loved the storyline of Lindsay shooting the guy and going to jail and the rest of the firm fighting to get her out. I loved the emotion between her and Bobby and all the other characters, the degree they cared about each other, and I felt such a raw sense of justice when she was sentenced to life.

I agree. I thought the shooting of O'Malley really allowed Lindsay's character to grow in a way. It reminded me of the Nietzsche quote "When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." Seriously, think about her in the first season, the adorable, young, brilliant attorney who beat the tabacco industry. After that she faced possible disbarment for jury tampering, was date raped by a former lover, became a drug lawyer, blackmailed her law professor, went half nuts defending that same professor, forced to defend the nun killer, stabbed by Vogelman, the 100 things that happened because of the William Hinks incident, and then everything with O'Malley... yeah.

The 7th season is where everything started to spiral out of control. Pretty much after Lindsay gets out of jail, the show just isn't the same.

StevenMcBrear

[14]Jan 14, 2014
    • level: 1
    Season 7 may of had its low points but also had the terrific Denise Freeman episodes.