The Practice

The Case Against Alan Shore (3)

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 28, 2004 on ABC

• Absurd in many ways, intriguing in many others...

Because this is a TV show, we can dismiss certain things as plot devices (the fact that cases are solved in one episode and the closing arguments and examinations so short, etc) but a lawyer admitting in open court that he embezzled, extorted and concealed evidence? No way. That was too much. How could Alan Shore NOT be disbarred (let alone face charges) after confessing to so many crimes?

But, if we are to accept that this is possible, the jury's verdict made sense. Eugene Young and Ellenor knew what Alan was, and they still hired him, and they still took the money he brought in. For a man so self-righteous and preach as Eugene he was certainly a hypocrite by letting Shore stay more than one day on his firm.

Another thing I always wondered: WHY would Alan sue? Why? He must have know he was also guilty of his actions and that he deserved to be fired. It was at this point, when he realized he had no real reason for suing, that he decided to give the firm their money back.

And that money thing, that's another issue. Wasn't this trial supposed to be about who owned the firm?

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm putting more thought into this episode than the writers themselves...