The Pretender

Collateral Damage

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Jan 03, 1998 on NBC

• This is exactly why I love The Pretender. Not Jarod's adventures in helping other people, not the chasing (even though this is fun), but this. Miss Parker, open and exposed.

This was a wonderful episode, my favorite up to date and most definitely in my top 5 of all time favorites, of all the shows I've ever watched, and that's a lot.
    What we get to see in this episode is something we really don't see often. We all knew deep down inside Miss Parker had feelings, but the way she gets we Debbie once she let her in her shell, that's very rare. We get to see a side of her that we never saw. And what happened between those two was something very powerful. They were connected by a pain the both shared, mother abandon, even if for Miss Parker it was because of her death.
    The scene where Miss Parker collapse in the Centre and Debbie comes and hold her hand was worth watching the episode all on its own. And of course including the flashbacks of her mother death, that were very painfull to watch.
    The scene where she's brushing Debbie's hair and telling her her story might seem out of character, but to me it's not. She connects to the little girl in a way she never did with anyone. And lets be honest, I get the feeling that she felt a little bit maternal there too. Like I said, Miss Parker hides her feelings but it doesn't stop her from having them. She's spending a lot of time and energy preserving her image, but that's not what she truly is, well not completely anyway. And we get to see that in that episode.

And of course at the end when she transforms Debbie in a little Miss Parker, the expression on Broots face, that was priceless. That proves she really did adopted that child!