The Pretender

NBC (ended 2000)

walrus_8463

The Pretender Fan Reviews (66)

• Jarrod, Ethan, Miss Parker finally get to realise they are family from being imprisoned in The Centre when they were young. Jarrod escapes to lead a continues journey of dodging The Centres sweep teams trying to find who his family are. Fantastic series.

They have to bring this series back it was and still is one of the best series for TV. Their are so many twists and turns and lies through out the Parker Family. The Centre has many secrets and they keep on finding more. Between Angelo an empath Jarrod and Miss Parker Sydney and good ole Broots their are many secrets and truths they unravel through their journey to find the ultimate truth. As children they were brought up in the centre and exposed to tests to produce the ultimate Pretender which becomes Jarrod. This series has to be watched to be believed as the lies and twists are just amazing. Miss Parker becomes the hunter as Jarrod becomes the hunted draw your own conclusion but you need to see this series. Why have they ended it on the fourth series without the whole truth still not known and left as a cliff hanger. Are they ever going to finish this series? I have just finished watching this series and some of it has you in tears and some so angry at what these people do to others its beyond belief and makes you wonder if something like this goes on in the real world. God forbid if it does. I have heard a rumour they may be bringing this series back but I wonder.....Please as I need to know the final truth.
  • The Pretender is a great show! It has it all, suspence, action, drama and a little sci-fi/fantasy. I love series with dark organizations and the Centre definately is. A shame that 3rd movie never has been made. What's Michael T Weiss doing these days?

The show should been running 10 seasons! Great story, mysterious characters, a dark organization. When I first saw the Pretender, more than a decade ago, I was amazed, I could not get enough of it and was very sad when it got canceled. Thankfully I has been released on DVD and can I watch it as often as I please. Shame though the third movie never got made so we never know how the story ends.

I always liked the Jarods centered episodes but I must say when the Centre was involved, those episodes were the icing on the cake. All those secrets from the past, all those lies, mr Parker who was unfit to be miss Parker´s father or so it seemed. It´s truly a shame The Pretender has not been appreciated more.
  • The best show EVER. The questions need to be answered, and the mysteries solved. There HAS to be a third and final movie!!

Great show!! This show has everything: drama, action, humour.

Micheal T Weiss did an amazing job playing this complex character, not to even mentioning how Andrea Parker was able to become Miss Parker. Even though Andrea plays both Miss Parker and her mother, her way of portraying these two very different characters is so well done that you as the watcher sometimes forget that they are played by the same actress.
    The story is one of the best ever told, there was not a single episode where you didn't learn something new about one of the characters.
    The creators of this FAB show shocked the audience again and again and again. They left the fans devastated at the end of the 4th season. Then in 2001 the fist movie was released and again they left the fans hanging at the end. In 2002 the second movie ("Island of the Haunted") was released and fans could breath again, but only until 2 minutes into the movie because - they did it AGAIN, questions were left unanswered and mysteries unsolved.

The fans of this amazing show have been fighting for 4 years and they, along with everyone else who has been lucky enough to have seen this show, deserve closure in the form of a third and final movie.

So: BRING IT BACK!!
  • Bring it back!

I love this show. I was homeschooled and when it was on at 7 in the morning I\'d get up early to sit and watch it before I started school. I loved how Jarod always got away and made the centre look like the bunch of idiots they were. It was so much fun to sit and watch this. I was so sad when they stopped playing it. My mom and I would watch it and talk about all the stuff going on together. Good times. Good times indeed. They should totally bring the show back on some channel. It was a really awesome show.
  • They need to bring it back. I need to know how it ends!!!!

I first saw this show at my firends house and was instantly hooked. It is pure brilliance!!!! Though it may be hard to follow if you start in the middle you may catch on quickly to the plot line. The cliffhangers at the end of the movies make me thirst for more. It may sound weird but this show is that good! I want to know what the scrolls said and I definitley need to know if Jarod gets back together with his family! Does Miss Parker ever get away from The Centre? I need closure!!!! I recommend this show to anyone.
  • This show is the greatest ever! It's about this guy Jarod who was stolen from his family. He's a real genious and because of how smart he was, The Centre abused his power. Well anyhow he ran away and all he wants to know is who the hell he is.

The Pretender is heart warming and I am so glad that I started watching this show. I didn't know that it was going to be so good, but hey it's my favorite show now. I have so many questions and everything that need to be answered. I wish that I was actually there and that this show went on for like 10 seasons. The pretender rocks my world. I only wish that it could have lasted longer than four seasons and the movies. That wasn't enough. Too much being denied of the truth. They monsters at NBC stopped a great show. When will they learn to make a new Pretender movie on the big screen or something.
  • The Pretender is a wonderful adventure on the life of Jarod. In each episode, Jarod learns something about his past. Jarod is a genius whose whole life was stolen. Now he is on the search for the truth. Each discovery is worthwhile.

I fell in love with this show the first time that I saw it. It started of with a young boy who wanted to know who he was. The first episode said it all about what Jarod truly wanted. The Pretender came out when I was 6 years old. It did not interest until 11 years later when I saw it online. I was hoping to watch supernatural but the divx 6 video of some episode wasn't working, so I tried something new. I'm glad that I chose the Pretender. I've been glued since. I want to know everything. I have so many questions about this whole show. I want to know everything about the Centre. The Pretender is a show for anyone who enjoys the excitement of a great show.
  • One of the smartest, most well-written programs I have seen on TV to date, great storylines and cast. Bring it back! Doing so will bring back a lot of viewers who appreciate a smart well-written show.

It was one of those programs that was hard to turn away from and you absolutely hate to miss an episode. The storylines were not sexualized (as are so many today) nor were they filled with gratuitous violence. Pick a time slot and date then stick with it, then give the audience time to find it and begin to enjoy it again. The only program that I have seen that even comes close to The Pretender is Alias. The network that carried that program knew they had a great program; they were patient with the viewing audience,big pay-off.
  • Long Live The Pretender!

I absolutely love this show. The fans still need closure and answers. I am one of many who is participating in campaigns to get a third movie. To join us, please come to the myspace, add Pretender Fans Unite as a friend and participate in writing letters, campaigns, petitions, etc. http://www.myspace.com/pretenderfansunite
  • One of the best concepts for a tv show ever.

Sadly I did not discover this series until TNT was running reruns after the show had ended, but I was instantly hooked. The idea of a super-intelligent human being alone wouldn't make the show that interesting, but they added a mysterious and dramatic past to the star character which made you not only want to watch more, but drew you more into Jarrod's heart. It was easy to feel for the star character and share his emotions.

With that they added great supporting characters. There was Miss Parker, whose only true annoyance was that she apparantly had no first name, which perhaps matched her up well with Jarrod who had no last name. Then there was Sydney, who sometimes made you wonder whose side he was on until you realized he was on Jarrod's side for better or worse. He simply lacked the understanding of what the Centre had done to bring the boy there. And then there was Broots, the lovable comic-relief who was always good for a chuckle.

Then you had the villains, and what evil villains they were. There was Mr. Lyle, who seemed to have a taste for cannibalism. He was a man whom you wanted to love because of his handsome good looks but knew at his heart he was pure evil and simply no good. Then when he turned out to be Miss Parker's brother, which never seemed to be proven, it only added a new dark twis on the series.

Dr. Raines and Mr. Parker were evil as well, though they didn't seem as bad as their evilness seemed to stem from a desire for power. They were still a dangerous threat, however.

The show continued to grow darker as Jarrod learned more and more about his past, but it only got better as it went. And then it ended when Jarrod got so close to finally finding his mother.

It's a shame the show ended as quickly as it did. Here's hoping they'll bring it back. Great show with an absolutely fabulous cast.
  • This show was completely ahead of its time with its storylines and ideas.

I first got hooked on the show through re-runs of shows but, when I bought the DVD, OMG, I fell in love with the storylines and plot twists. This show would be a smash hit if it would have come out now because people are more open to the conspiracy theory concepts now more than ever. I hope the 2 movies following season 4 will be on DVD soon because the cliffhanger in season 4 has me salivating for more Jarod and Miss Parker...not to mention I want to know what Catherine Parker\'s plan was.
  • I want it to come back I need something to watch. NOW!!!!!!

I think that they should bring back Pretender to TNT in the mornings. Cause I need someting to watch something when I wake up in the mornings. I miss waking up to the voices of Pretender.Dang, I want them, no I need them to bring it back. Hey, I have an idea why don\'t we all e-mail the Pretender producers and complain that we want them back. It could work or they could get a restraining order against us but we must keep trying to get it back. Do what ever you can to get it back on. If you really want it back do what you can for them to poll some strings and put Pretender back on TV.

P.S.-try your hardest

Me
  • The show that showed that one person can make a difference.

I so miss this show with every fiber of my being!! I was so upset when NBC canceled this show for arena football.

Jarod on the search for his family and being reunited with them. However, his mom only seeing her at a distance was a tear jerker. Parker and Jarod had so much chemistry on screen.

It was so great to see a modern day hero in these times. Someone trying to right wrongs. Jarod emerged from the evil Centre to make a new life for himself discovering the things we take for granted.
  • Everything about this show was perfect

This show had to be one of the best ever on t.v. I think it had a great story, the only thing that sux is all the open ended questions.

I never did get to see either of the movies which aired not to long after the show was cancled. I have heard it leaves many questions still. There are rumors of them making the 3rd just to answer the q's though. I am just hoping they release them to dvd when season 4 comes out so I know a bit more.

The show itself was great. I love the fact they crossed over Pretender and Profiler too. Since they are both great. It is a shame it only lasted 4 seasons though.

How could one go wrong having a show about a genius who had a horriable life going around and seeing the good in everything?????And making the world a better place!!
  • ...

An amazing show that is something you can watch with the entire family. I still watch at least one episode a week and hope that the creators come back and finish the storyline. A very talented group of actors and superb directing make this an instant hit with everyone who sees it.
  • I feel sorry for the ones that cancelled the show.

This is (was) the greatest show that I have ever seen. It has inspired me to in so many ways. I have taped every single episode including the the following movies and I am only sad that WB didn't continue with it throughout the entire contract.

I think that many of us recognized them selfs in Jarod and what he had expirienced in his free life.

Simply perfect in every aspect.
  • this show is awesome. such good actors and actresses they make you feel that you are really there, experiencing everything that they are. wonderfully put together and is quite awesome.

the story line was pure genius, so much twists to the plot it was great. the characters were very good at what they did. it did need somes work though i must admit that the story was very strange and that the boy grew up never knowing his father or mother then found then and found his sister and brother and learned he had a half brother and sister was very confusing.
  • There are Pretenders among us... Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be... In 1963 a corporation known as the Centre isolated a young Pretender named Jarod and exploited him for their research... Then, one day, their Pretender ran away

Why did it have to go! There were so many questions left unanswered! It is one of the best shows out there! If you haven't seen it, I would highly reccomend picking it up on DVD. If you have Netflix, or something like that, rent it! There are so many twists and turns, and the writing is excellent. The superb acting of Michael T. Weiss, Andrea Parker, Patrick Bauchau, and Jon Gries, as well as the other actors, make the show addictive, and makes me sad when I think that it never got to run it's course... It is one of the best shows of all time, and it is something that everyone should have the pleasure of watching.
  • BRING IT BACK!!! I I really love Jarod & Miss Parker!

Miss Parker was the ultimate 'Bitch'. That coupled up with Jarod it was the perfect team...They need to get the issues resolved!To many open ended storie lines.It was very exciting to see some of the other cast stars making there 'cameo' apperances..I eapecially like the fact that the writers used the (higher-tech clothing.(Black leather coats. Short skirts,etc.)
  • So many unresolved issues remain, but it was incredibly brilliant and especially heartfelt during its time.

While I watched this show when it first aired on NBC, I completely forgot about it after a while, even missing the last one or two seasons. That was, until TNT started picking it up, and even made two made-for-TV movies for the fans.

In case you are new to the show, The Pretender is a drama with a man named Jarod at its core. Jarod is a genius "who can be anyone he wants to be," who became a pet project for organization called The Centre that stole him as a child. He was taught to do simulations by a man called Sydney, a genuine person at heart, the results of which were sold to the highest bidder, no matter what his intentions were. When Jarod learned that many of these simulations, which he was told were to benefit mankind, were really hurting people, he ran away. And that is where the show begins. He runs, and The Centre chases. But really, that's only what it is about on the surface. Along the way, he helps people who are just as helpless and lost as he once was. And through it all, he's looking for his family, and helping one of The Centre's employees chasing him, Miss Parker, discover the truth about hers.

After four full seasons and two made-for-TV movies, the show ends abruptly. As I said before, I was a fan of the show at the beginning, but it got lost in the mess of my teenage life and didn't resurface until I caught Island of the Haunted on the very last night it aired (before it was added to syndication as well). And, yes, I got hooked...again. I started watching from the start and grew to care more and more about the characters. Then...it just ended. What happened after they got off the island Carthis? We'll never know because no one is giving it a chance to finish! How did Jarod and Miss Parker's mothers know each other? Is Mr. Raines really Miss Parker's father? And will Jarod and Miss Parker ever kiss as adults? (I was so peeved that the darn blind lady Ocee barged in on them in Island of the Haunted, breaking up what would have been a most joyful moment in Pretender history.) While these questions are sure to remain unanswered except by speculation, I still continue to enjoy watching the regular series episodes, as each has so much depth that I am continually recognizing new things. Also, the emotional depth of Miss Parker is something worth seeing, as she can be cold and malicious one moment, and then heartbroken and endearing the next. Her friendship, so to speak, with Jarod, existing over telephone lines and during desperate situations, always kept me tuning in, and I hope that, had the show continued, they would have ended up in a wonderfully romantic relationship.
  • More questions than the X-files

Well while the 2 movies answered a few questions, it inevitably raised even more. The cast has been quoted as saying they would happily love to finish the show, but it's in the hands of the TV execs who (& let's face it) don't care about what the viewers think.
    The creators of the show have said that they have the answers but are not saying a thing, as I guess they live in hope that one day this show will come back.
    Come on people, the DVDs are selling great, maybe a couple more movies to help generate interest & finish the story would sell even MORE of them? Of course it would. I guess there's still hope for this show, but I doubt it will ever finish..... sad really.....
  • The Pretender can be called Many things, but the nist important is that it was utter Brilliance!

I never thought I would find a show that no matter how many times I saw it I would love it. But I have found it. The Pretender has mystery, action, drama and ohh so much more. The characters are so complex and the storylines are full of intrigue and mystery. Andrea Parker is one of the most under-rated actresses around today. She brings life into the character of Miss Parker like no one else ever could. She is menacing, nasty, and cruel as well as being curious, compassionate, and undoughtedly loyal. I have never seen a character like her on television. I don't think that I ever will.
  • I loved all of the story lines..

They need to bring this show back. I loved watching it. I loved watching Jarod staying one step ahead of the \"Centre\". The story never ended.... I am curious about Parker\'s mother and Jarod\'s mother and how Mr.Raines is involved. I would love to see it come back & finish it.
  • There are Pretenders among us. Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be In 1963, a corporation known as the Centre isolated a young Pretender named Jarod and exploited his genius for their research.

Oh, how could they possibly leave us hangin\' like this. They need to just bring it back. Or at least give us one more movie that sums everthing up cus this is wrong. This is like one of the best shows ever and I really, really want it back NOW!!
  • This is the best show that I ever have seen. The story lines from episode to episode work on each other to reveal mystery after mystery about Jarod, his family, and "the Centre". The writing in this series is supurb and I would recommend this show to an

This is the best show that I ever have seen. Even though it only lasted 4 seasons, plus 2 T.V. movies, it was worth every episode. The story lines from episode to episode work on each other to reveal mystery after mystery about Jarod, his family, and "the Centre". The writing in this series is supurb and I would recommend this show to anyone. The show has done of actions and remains exciting at all times.

The best part of the show is how intelligent the writing is. It really makes you think about all of the characters and everything that is happening.

I didn't watch this show until it was on re-runs on TNT, but the show will convince you to watch within minutes. It is really the best show especially for a gifted mind.

By far, the best show ever created. Michael T. Weiss, Andrea Parker, Jon Gries, Jamie Denton, and all the other actors (especially the actors that play Sydney, Mr. Parker, and Mr. Raines) are excellent in these roles.

The only down side of watching is that you will be hooked and have to see every episode before and after the one that you saw, plus the 2 movies, to truly figure everything out.
  • This series was cancelled before it could reach its full potential.

This series was a very unique creation which spotlighted the horrific occurrences surrounding the “Centre”; more specifically surrounding the “Pretender Program” and a one-of-a-kind-genius named Jarod. Though Jarod was always the main character, the story line allowed the viewer to see (and feel) that in actuality the “Centre” stole from everyone. It was a proverbial black hole; no emotion; faceless; darkness! It was the epitome of despair. The highlight of each episode was Jarod’s calling card, which was dispensing “like justice” for “like crime“. One example of this dispensation was in Season 2 Episode 14 “Amnesia (a.k.a. Unforgotten), when Jarod tied the drug running- murderous-truck driver to the front end of his own Semi-Truck. It was nice to see the episode end with Jarod smiling (behind the wheel of the big rig) and the “jerk-du-jour” tied to the front…screaming into the night. What was hard to watch about the show was the constant agony that Jarod was put through. The actor portrayed the character’s compassion to a fault. His facial expressions imbued the tortured state of the character’s soul; from his constant search for his family to his endless fight for all others in need.
  • A genuine tv classic-full of fascinating writing,excellent stories and compelling performances.This is surely one series from the 90s which should endure.

I missed this show first time round somehow,and am currently viewing re-runs.I've found all it needs is for you to watch one episode and you're hooked.The writing in this series is of a continually high standard-clever,witty and yes sometimes profound.
    The series is formulaic,and the show probably got too bogged down in the mysteries surrounding "who is really related to who",and "what were the Center up to when this happened" plots in the later episodes,but these slight reservations aside,as with all great drama,it's not the fact that you're working within certain pre-set conventions that matter-it's what you do with them,and "the Pretender" strives to and achieves excellence within its set perambeters.Jarod is a little like Dr.Kimble in the 60's series "the Fugitive",a hunted man,moving around the country,doing a range of different jobs,helping the various people that he becomes involved with,but dogged by relentless(though not evil)pursuers,always moving on,always he remains the outsider.
    Despite his brilliance,Jarod never becomes conceited and irritating,a "know all" type.Apart from the superb way Michael T. Weiss plays the character,one of the methods the writers use to keep us on side with him are those moments when he shows a wide eyed innocence about relatively commonplace things he missed out on in all his years at the Center-his not knowing about Spiderman,the Beatles and just about anything asssociated with popular culture;and the genuine altruism of his motivations-this must owe a lot to the influence of his mentor Sidney during his captive decades.
    There are so many more good things you want to say about this show,but I'll just have to limit myself to few of them.
    Andrea Parker as "Miss Parker"-amazing!She just burns up the screen when she's on-this apparently heartless character slowly reveals her more human side as the show progresses,but she never loses that acid laced sarcastic wit and fiery personality-you would never want to be on the wrong side of a furious Miss Parker!She has some of the best lines in the show,and they're frequently worthy of "The Simpsons"-
    Broots-.."it's in France..."
    Miss Parker-"So is the Jerry Lewis fan club,but I still wouldn't want to join it!"
    Around the character of Sidney(Patrick Bauchau) revolve some of the most serious moral issues of the show.The viewer is left asking,how has this good,even noble man, been involved in something so morally dubious as the Center,keeping children locked up,isolated and under surveillance,and exploiting their abilities.As the series goes on,and more and more of the Center's nasty secrets are unveiled,we see him coming to the realization that he has lived a lie,and spent his career serving very dubious masters and ends.
    For pure evil,we have firstly the "Nosferatu" like Mr.Raines(Richard Marcus),cadaverous and breathing with the aid of a portable oxygen tank-"The Center's Dr.Mengle" as Jarod describes him-and he certainly deserves that comparison.Yet even Mr.Raines,the man at the core of the Center's most sinister secrets,is allowed some degree of sympathy-especially in the episode when we learn that his daughter was kidnapped and murdered years earlier;and secondly there's "Brigitte"(Pamela Gidley),a slinky leather clad blonde assassin and all round villainess,who's genuine immoral and opportunistic character is in contrast to that of Miss Parker,whose hard boiled outer shell hides a soft center(the two naturally loathe eachother).
  • The Pretender. This show was mainly about a young boy named Jarod who was stolen from his family and used for the Centres evil ways. While growing up in the Centre there he was getting smarter only to escape eventually.

I started watching this show from the first episode to almost the last. I only missed like less then a handful when it was on. This tv show had it all from our hero Jarod trying to become anyone he put his smart mind to someone that was evil and relentless like Dr. William Raines. Id like to say first off since this is my review. This tv show had some interesting characters. That made it something to really enjoy each week it was on. Looking into the characters alittle more. I really liked Miss Parker. Her character was put together well. She was everything from tall and leggy to very combustible at times. A take no nonsense type of gal if you know what I mean. Sydney is jarods docter of choice or his project if you wanna say that. He on one hand wants Jarod to return but I think hes glad Jarod is away from that place. Broots is a cool computer guy who seems to know as much as Jarod does on some things but Jarod seems to be one step ahead of him. Angelo is pretender completely gone wrong. In so many words hes smart but he doesnt wanna let the Centre know that. For Jarods enemys the one that most stands out to me is Dr. William Raines I so cannot stand him. He looks like an old broke down skeletor with an oxygen tank from He-man. Brigitte is a close second. She fits the total blonde thing. But very crafty and smart. Mr. Lyle was just that someone with good intentions but his character seemed to be lacking the right judement calls on several situations. Last but not least are the sweepers which I thought were cool. Sam and Willie were always doing there job just not fast enough. I always wanted to be a sweeper myself. If I had the job Jarod would of been caught by now but im not that bad of a guy. I hope there is a last tv-movie to sum up everything and put the whole Pretender thing to an end. Hopefully will see all Jarods questions get answered.
  • This has to be one of the best shows ever! I watched it when it first came on and am watching the DVD's now. Wish it were back on!

Fantastic show, a must see! The casting is perfect and alhtough I have seen it before, I still wait for Dr. Raines to get his...I missed some espisodes when first aired and I am thrilled I can now fill in some of the blanks. Be sure to watch this series, keep a keen eye out for shady characters, you never know who may be lurking in the halls of the CENTRE! Great combination of intrigue, morality and down right let's hear it for the good guys.
    Wish you were back on, miss you all-well maybe just a bit Dr. Raines)
  • Jarod escapes a prison like company and goes around the world pretending to be other people while helping others. All the while he is tryng to find his family.

This was a really good show in that Jarod was always helping people. He had a good heart, but was abused and held back in the world. The storyline was great. Each week was entertaining in that you didn't know who he was going to be next and what he would do to the people from the center. I also liked Miss Parker. She and Jarod are what made the series great. I was really disappointed with the way the series ended. I think they were thinking there would be a fifth season but it stopped at season four and kind of left it on a cliffhanger.
< 1 2 3