The Pretender

The Dragon House (1)

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM May 17, 1997 on NBC

• A man breaks out of prison and it sparks a memory for Jarod. He knew this man from when they were kids. They were friends inside the Centre. He goes to investigates and discovers more than the expects.

This is a classic episode. I loved the contrast between Kyle and Jarod. It's mentioned that Kyle is a sociopath; yet, we see that he does care for someone. A random kid he runs across. He protects the kid simply by threatening the kid's father, who may or may not have been abusing his son. The simple threat done by the father to the son was enough to produce Kyle's rage. Yet, he never harms the man or kills him. Not a trait of a sociopath.

Jarod knows Kyle hasn't killed anyone, but he still buys into the fact that Kyle is a psychopath. I liked that he thought this because it really shows how much he listens to Sydney. Jarod should know better, but he takes Sydney's opinions over forming his own.

I got the feeling that Kyle was more threats than action, and found it strange all the characters thought the opposite. But then, it just shows how tragic Kyle's life was. The scene of the two pretenders, as kids, says it all. Kyle's handler, Mr. Raines, encourages Jarod to pour the 'fake' acid onto Kyles' hand. It turns out to be real, and Raines is pleased. Sydney is outraged. If this is infront of others, one can only imagine the horror Kyle faced alone.

This episode gets the imagination running, and surprises us in many ways. First, by revealing things about Jarod's family, then by telling us about Kyle's identity. I loved the shocked expression on Jarod's face at the end.
  • This two part episode, the season finale for the first season, is one of the most classic episodes in the entire series of the Pretender. Jarod finds his brother, discovers his families past, and much much more.

Jarod sees his mom and sister, but has to escape at the last second. Raines is shot and catches on fire. Mr. Lyle is mentioned for the first time. More action, more discovery, but even more mysteries have started!