Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already conquered the comedy categories, revealing our selections for Supporting ActressSupporting ActorLead Actress, Lead Actor, and Comedy Series. Now we're working our way through the drama categories; we've highlighted our picks for Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor, and today we move on to leading ladies.

Editors' Note: You may notice that some of our nominees don't match up with the official Emmy ballots. That's not a mistake; we've taken a few liberties because we're only "dreaming" about the 10 "major" categories, and we didn't want to leave out deserving performers based simply on their submission strategies and our coverage plans. In come cases you may see folks from the miniseries and guest-star races in our lead and supporting wish lists.

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY TATIANA MASLANY:I'm a relatively new Orphan Black fan—I marathoned Season 1 over the course of a few days in the lead-up to Season 2—and while I wouldn't call myself a diehard, there's no denying that what Maslany has accomplished while singlehandedly portraying every member of the Clone Club is pretty dang astonishing. And it's not just the feat of keeping the various storylines straight, or the crazy amount of work that playing several different characters (sometimes in the same scene) entails. Maslany is the sole reason that Orphan Black's themes of identity and nature vs. nurture are so compelling; she is playing multiple wholly different people, seemingly unique individuals with different motivations, challenges, aspirations, and needs. In the hands of a lesser actress, the show flat-out wouldn't work, but thanks to Maslany's nuanced, extremely layered performances (just the thought of playing one clone impersonating another one makes my head spin), it's actually pretty easy to forget that a majority of Orphan Black's cast literally has the same face. — Jen Trolio

WHY ALLISON TOLMAN: Raise your hand if you knew who Allison Tolman was before seeing her play Molly Solverson on FX's Fargo. *Allison Tolman's mom raises her hand* Yep, that's it. Tolman was unemployed when she auditioned for the part, working as a post-production manager at a photography studio when she landed it, and now she's not only acting alongside A-listers like Martin Freeman, Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks, and Kate Walsh, she's more than holding her own. Thanks to a combination of vulnerability, determination, and an elastic face in the role of Molly, Tolman is easily television's brightest new star—and she's just getting started. — Tim Surette

Who would YOU nominate for Lead Actress in a Drama?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

87 Comments
Comments (87)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I just love that you used different pictures of characters Tatiana Maslany portray. Give the goddamned award to the woman already!
Flag
The one and only: Tatiana Maslany!!
Flag
Tatiana Maslany,
Tatiana Maslany,
Tatiana Maslany,
Tatiana Maslany,
Tatiana Maslany and of course
Tatiana Maslany
Flag
Claire Danes- Homeland
Allison Tolman- Fargo
Tatiana Maslany- Orphan Black
Vera Farmiga- Bates Motel
Lizzy Caplan- Masters of Sex
Julianna Margulies- The Good Wife
Flag
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black)
Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)
Kerry Washington (Scandal)
Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter)
Christine Baranski (Good Wife) - know technically she's not the lead, but the character of Diane with Baranski's portrayal is what held my attention
Abigail Spencer (Rectify)
Flag
My picks are:

Allison Tolman (Fargo)
Kerry Washington (Scandal)
Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex)
Robin Wright (House of Cards)

Flag
Tatiana Maslany, Allison Tomlan, Julianna Margulies, Robin Wright, Lizzy Caplan, Elizabeth Moss, Keri Russel. (yeah, it's seven names - because snobbing any of these actresses is not an option)
Flag
Taylor Schilling - Orange is the New Black (I have no idea why this is considered as a comedy show. Schilling is fantastic.)
Jessica Lange - AHS (Screw it. I won't be commenting on miniseries posts anyway)
Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black
Allison Tomlan - Fargo
Jennifer Carpenter - Dexter
Gillian Anderson - The Fall

I think Nina Dobrev is a good actress, but haven't seen the past two seasons of TVD. Good to see her get some recognition though. Now, time to see the rest of the shows on these lists that I haven't caught up on yet!
Flag
I have binge-watched Orphan Black's first season and then kept up with the second, and I'm highly impressed by Maslany. Totally. But Keri Russell and Lizzy Caplan were so amazing this season. Why can we give them all emmys?
Flag
I like how each of Tatiana's photos is a different character.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany hands down.
Flag
ok... my turn :

1. Sarah Paulson : supporting actress ??? yeah... sure ... (AMAZING ACTING by the way)
2.Claire Danes
3.Juliana Margulies
4.Tatiana Maslany
5.Elisabeth Moss
Flag
My nominees are:
Lizzy Caplan
Claire Danes
Vera Farmiga
Juliana Margulies
Tatiana Maslany (*)
Keri Russell

But, Tatiana Maslany for the win!!! (Canadians unite!)
Flag
1) Juliana Margulies (TGW)
2) Titiana Maslany (Orphan Black)
3) Keri Russell (The Americans)
4) Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)
5) Mireille enos (The killing)
6) Lizzy Caplan (Master of Sex)
7) Gillian Anderson (The Fall)
Flag
Tatiana Maslany gets my vote. Last year when everyone was going 'OMG she has to win she has to win." I didn't get it because I had never seen Orphan Black now that I've see it I get it.This chick is the shit! The way she plays each character so seperately from the other is amazing to me. I honest to God, hand on a Bible forget that Alison, Sarah, Helena, Rachel and Cosima are played by the same actress. So yeah shine up that award and give it to Tatiana Maslany.
Flag
If my vote counted for anything it would be for Miss Maslany. Whereas Allison Tolman plays a very good part in the excellent Fargo Miss Maslany plays excellent multiple characters in a very good show. She doesnt just put on different outfits and scream 'im using a different name, so obviously i'm a different character for this scene'
Flag
Did anyone notice that Keri Russel has been nominated by everyone above
Flag
Yes. Nothing weird about that. What's weird is that Tatiana Maslany and Lizzy Caplan only got 4 out of 5.
Flag
I'd say Tatiana Maslany has more than earned a nomination, so has Vera Farmiga.
Flag
It would be nice to see either Lizzy or Keri Russel to get nominated and hopefully win.

Flag
I know we don't want to hear this but Orphan Black had a really shitty season this year. It was entertaining but just too silly to be taken seriously.
Flag
Wasn't season 1 just as silly? (The people with "modifications", the scarf incident, etc). I have never been a superfan, but I have always found it enjoyable.
Flag
Hahaha - I love how you chose a different clone for every Tatiana Maslany nominated above :-D

Maslany and Lizzy Caplan would be in my list for sure, but all the others I see are very good too, all deserving of nomination. Most surprising would be Nina Dobrev, but still, she has done a very good acting job in TVD, specially until Katherine died.
Flag
Thank you Noel Kirkpatrick. I agree with your slate.
Flag

TATIANA MASLANY
Flag
ALLISON TOLMAN
Flag
Diane Kruger or Allison Tolman or Lizzy Caplan. They all impersonate both vulnerability and unwavering determination in their respective roles...and they did so in miniseries!

I'm over the identity thing already (Orphan Black and The Vampire Diaries lead actresses).
Flag
I have a thing for Vera Farmiga and I love how she portrays Norma but I have to say Tatiana Maslany has got to be the hardest working actress on tv right now.
Flag
I hope Lizzy Caplan or Keri Russel win this year.They gave two of the best performances and deserve recognition.
Flag
Tatiana hands down. I don't really know how it works but can a newbie be but in this category if so than Eva Green (penny dreadful)
Flag
Sadly, Eva Green and the rest of the cast in Penny Dreadful won't be eligible for the Emmys until next year
Flag
What a shame.
Flag
I don't even watch the show and I believe she's been amazing for the promos and short clips alone!
Flag
Not that I ever care about these popularity contests called awards shows, but you all have some very good prospects. Of course, I would go with Juliana Margulies every time, but the others are all deserving as well. Allison Tolman reminds me so much of Ellen, it's not funny, and Tatiana is also quite wonderful. And it won't piss me off if Keri Russell gets the nod. Oh, and is Homeland still on--ho hum?
Flag
Nina dobrev ...

lol

she can't compete ...
Flag
Staff
Emphasis on the DREAM right?
Flag
I'd say this for Nina Dobrev: she's pretty.

And that's about it (please, nominate real actresses for this)
Flag
Allison Tolman, Tatiana Maslany, Keri Russell, Eva Green, Claire Danes
Flag
Here's hoping they don't overlook Tatiana again this year, because shit she deserves this!
Flag
Tatiana has huge fan support, but I am very happy to see some weight behind Nina Dobrev! Too bad that the nominators will probably overlook The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, and others for the fact of their cheesy-ass names.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany all the way. I honestly can't fill six slots for this. Tolman is a miniseries lead so she can't qualify, Taylor Shilling is considered a comedy actress, Anna Gunn is considered a supporting actress along with the GoT actresses, and Claire Danes was given such bad material last season, I didn't think she was all that good, and a far cry from season 1. I guess the only other person I could put in this category is Eva Green for Penny Dreadful.
Flag
If I had my way, I would nominate Nina Dobrev for Best Guest Star in a Drama Series for her portrayal of Katherine only.... because Elena is just dead weight, but Katherine was amazing!
Flag
She can't be nominated as a guest star for Vampire Diaries. She is the lead actress of that show.
Flag
But when I think about it she must be an amazing actress considering how much I hate Elena and adored Katherine. Whenever Elena was on my screen I could break something and I cheered whenever Katherine arrived. And then I remembered, damn! They're played by the same actress.
Flag
These lists have all been missing some SPARKS. Where is Lily?
Flag
I think you mean: Where is Price?
Flag
He would nominate the whole cast of The Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Teen Wolf only.
Flag
We are fortunate to have a bevy of talented female leads. Out of all of them Tatyana leads the pack, mostly because she is playing multiple roles and is doing such a fantastic job doing so. But she is followed closely by Russell, Green and Caplan. Russell still surpasses with every outing, I just never thought of her as much of an actress, but she takes a tough role and makes it her own. Green conducts an acting class every Sunday Penny Dredful is on. She is naturally what "actresses" like Angelina Jolie try so very had to make people think they are. Caplan is in her breakout role. Her poise and demeanor on Master's of Sex is only eclipsed by those above.
Flag
Very well stated. How can Eva Green not make one of these lists when she is putting forth a tour-de-force on 'Penny Dreadful'? What do we see that these editors didn't? - she's putting it all out there every Sunday.
Flag
Penny Dreadful is not eligible this year, since most of the episodes aired after the May 31 deadline. But I expect her to steal the award next year.
Flag
I love how you used different clone's photo for each time any of you would nominate Maslany.
Flag
Yeah, and I was hoping that they'd put Keri Russell in a different wig each time they nominated her as well..
Flag
I think Allison is feeling a bit left out. You might wanna avoid wearing scarevs in the kitchen. :)
Flag
I'm mentally disqualifying Cory for being the only one not to nominate Tatiana Maslany. Tatiana looked over for Nina Dobrev? No.
Flag
Ok, that explains it. Poor Corey was sleeping. (See comment below). I think Ms. Trolio is making him work too hard with no breaks.
Flag
Staff
zzzzzzzzzzz
Flag
Maslany, Margulies, Russell, Moss. Plus other two. I would vote against Danes and Washington though.
Flag
Cory clearly doesn't watch Orphan Black.
Flag
Staff
I do (though I'm behind). It's fine. She's good. But why put her on there when everyone else is going to?
Flag
uhh.. because she deserves it?
Flag
Staff
I'm going to pretend that the respective Maslany pictures you chose, Kaitlin, reflect your perception of the respective writer. I mean, we all know that Jen's a total Rachel.
Flag
Staff
Oh my god, TIm is such a Helena.
Flag
Staff
I'm just glad you think I'm Cosima and not Alison. ;)
Flag
Staff
Hey, anyone would be lucky to be Alison. I mean, she is highly skilled with a jackhammer AND a glue gun. She cares about the arts. And she knows how to use a gun. She seems to like Dexter, though, so she does have that going against her.
Flag
High functioning sociopath? Is Alison Sherlock?
Flag
The incident she mentioned (divers finding bodies dumped from the boat) happened at the start of season 2. Everyone with taste liked Dexter back then.
Flag
Maybe she stopped watching before the last season?
Flag
Staff
She's also a high-functioning addict with anger issues. :-P
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Continuum is only in season 3.
Flag
Noted: But that wasn't my biggest mistake, I forgot 'Helena' and also my Number 1 because of a brain fart.

Lets try this again...

Best Lead Actress Drama or If Dreams Came True

1. Adelaide Kane 'Reign' (Mary Queen of Scots) One of the absolute best female roles ever created by this network really found the perfect lead. (So did 'The 100' with Eliza Taylor)
2. Tatiana Maslany 'Orphan Black' (Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Rachel, and Tony)
3. Rachel Nichols 'Continuum' (Kira Cameron) - She's been brilliant playing this part the past THREE seasons (THANKS SLEEPY-SONIC) creating one of the greatest science fiction dramas of all time in lovely Canada and they are competing in the EMMYs this year, I guess SyFy is good for something.
4. Lizzy Caplan 'Masters of Sex' (Virginia Johnson)
5. Keri Russell 'The Americans' (Elizabeth Jennings)
6. Eva Green- 'Penny Dreadful' (Vanessa Ives)

HM: Janet Montgomery - 'Salem' (Mary Sibley), Vera Farmiga - 'Bates Motel' (Norma Bates), Alison Tolman - 'Fargo' (Molly Solverson), and Emily Rose - 'Haven' (Audrey Parker) [reminds me I have to try to start watching that P.O.S show 'Graceland' again]

Now its right.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Can there please be a spinoff where Alison Hendrix is on trial for murder and Alicia Florrick is her attorney? PLEASE.
Flag
Well it appears Cory doesn't watch Orphan Black.
Flag
Lead Actress in a Drama Series-
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) Each one of the clones has a distinct personality & Tatiana brings out each one.
Flag
FYI, this was the easiest list of them all to compile...
Flag
Lead Actress in a Drama Series -
Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex)
Claire Danes (Homeland)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Keri Russell (The Americans)
Flag
I usually don't find this category very interesting, because let's face it, the main characters in the best shows are usually male. But this year, there are three fantastic leading females, and I think that makes it the most interesting category of all. I'm OK with any of these three winning:

1. Keri Russell
2. Tatiana Maslany
3. Lizzy Caplan

I suppose I should mention three more people. That's a bit more difficult.

Hayden Panettiere is on the ballot in the supporting category. This seems wrong, but it's probably good for her, since her winning chances should be better there. Since this is a dream nomination, I will include her here, and expand the list to seven, so that it includes six that are actually on the ballot in the right category.

4. Hayden Panettiere (not on the ballot)

I know that a lot of people like Vera Farmiga, but I still haven't seen a single episode of Bates Motel, so I can't really vote for her. Elizabeth Moss had a lot of difficult scenes this year, and she handled them very well, but I have to say that I'm still a bit reluctant to include her because I find her character a bit boring. I'm also not sure it makes sense to consider Peggy Olsen a main character when Roger Stirling (John Slattery) is considered supporting.

A lot of people like Robin Wright, but her character is definitely too boring for me. I found it absurd when she got a lead actress nomination for season 1. She wasn't the leading female on the show, and she wasn't the best actress on the show. It would have made a lot more sense to nominate Kate Mara for lead actress. (Still talking about last year, not this year). She's been more of a lead this year, so it would make much more sense now. But she's still boring.

Alison Tolman did really well in Fargo, but I'm not sure it was at an Emmy nomination level. She was good, but still kind of replaceable. Kerry Washington is very good, but is she good enough to be included in the top 6? Julianna Margulies is great, but it all seems so routine by now. The same goes for Claire Danes, and I don't want to encourage them to keep focusing on Carrie's mental health issues :).

Nina Dobrev, Diane Kruger and Connie Britton are very good too. So is Jessica Lange, but she's probably in the miniseries category. Hmphh this is difficult, even though I feel that there aren't that many leading actresses to choose from. OK, time to choose...

5. Claire Danes
6. Julianna Margulies
7. Nina Dobrev (I'm including a 7th, since my #4 is not on the ballot)

I may have changed my mind in an hour. The last two spots are especially difficult to choose. I already feel like a bad person for leaving out Elisabeth Moss. :)

More+
Flag
OMG I forgot Taylor Schilling...but wait, she's on the ballot as a comedy actress. That doesn't make much sense. Hm, I included Hayden even though she's "supporting", so I should probably include Taylor as well. New list:

1. Keri Russell
2. Tatiana Maslany
3. Lizzy Caplan
(4. Hayden Panettiere)
(5. Taylor Schilling)
6. Claire Danes
7. Julianna Margulies
8. Nina Dobrev
Flag
On second thought, I would like to move Nina Dobrev down a few notches. I guess I'll go with Elisabeth Moss.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members