Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards. 

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too! 

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We're starting with comedy categories, so let's begin, shall we?

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY CHELSEA PERETTI: Damn, Gina! Lest you write off the Nine-Nine's civilian administrator as just a run-of-the-mill weirdo, allow me to praise Chelsea Peretti's excellent portrayal of a character who, underneath all that bizarre bluster, is surprisingly sharp. Yes, Gina is loud, strange, and extremely narcissistic—but she's also caring and a bit of a savant, and Peretti does a bang-up job of marrying Gina's more off-kilter qualities with genuine emotion and confident physical comedy. It all comes together in a compelling combo of resident eccentric, sassy sidekick, prolific friend, and lovable odd bird. — Jen Trolio

WHY MICHAELA WATKINS: The thing about Trophy Wife's cast is that everyone is
(/was :(((() so comically gifted, with such great timing, and in their own weird ways, that it's hard to name one standout performer. And then we remember Michaela Watkins' work as the air-headed, well-meaning Jackie. It certainly helps that Watkins got to spend a lot of her Trophy Wife time working alongside our generation's best comedic force, Albert Tsai, but she also made an annoying character type as loving and bearable as possible. Remember Jackie's fling with Sad Steve? The mini-golf trip with Tsai's Bert and Bradley Whitford's Pete? Annnnnnnd now I'm just sad that there isn't going to be more of this glorious show, or Watkins' warm, hilarious performance. — Cory Barker

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/18/2016

Season 68 : Episode 1

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Merritt Wever! She's the singular reason for watching Nurse Jackie!
Flag
Stephanie Beatriz (B99), Anna Chlumsky (Veep), Mayim Bialik (TBBT), Chelsea Perretti (B99), Gillian Jacobs (Community) & Beth Grant (Mindy Project)
Flag
Kristen Wiig? I would expect Tim to know the difference between a series and a mini-series.
Flag
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series -
Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
Kate Mulgrew (Orange in the New Black)
Amy Schumer (Inside Amy Schumer)
Allison Williams (Girls)
Christine Woods (Hello Ladies)

Guest Actress in a Comedy Series -
Uzo Aduba (Orange is the New Black)
Kristen Bell (Parks and Recreation)
Linda Cardellini (New Girl)
Laverne Cox (Orange is the New Black)
Taryn Manning (Orange is the New Black)
June Squibb (Girls)
Flag
Amy Schumer is a supporting actress on the show named after her?
Flag
Yup, just went back and checked that I wasn't being thick, and I'm not.
Flag
No Alison Brie?
Nomination fail.
Flag
I think she should have won for seasons 2 and 3. Now I don't care much. She's on the ballots at least, unlike Amy Acker.
Flag
Stephanie Beatriz, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Allie Grant, Suburgatory
Chelsea Peretti, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Eden Sher, The Middle
Melissa Fumero, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Zoe Lister-Jones, Friends with Better Lives
Flag
By any chance, are you a fan of B99?
Flag
Actually, it isn't even my favorite comedy, though it is definitely a good one, but it has a fantastic cast, so that is why 3/6 of my nominees are the three B99 women.
Flag
What about Uzo Aduba? Crazy Eyes was a great character in OITNB Season 1, but in Season 2... man, her performance was so amazing!
Flag
Beth Grant? She maybe had two lines an episode. All the women on Mindy Project are completely underused/shoved to the side from bro-antics. So, I mean she's a talented actress but did she even have enough screen to be considered a supporting actress candidate? But other than that, Tim's selections are my favorite, especially Taryn.
Flag
Orange in the New Black and Nurse Jackie are comedies? Really? Since when?
Flag
Hey, that's what I said. :)
Flag
Since always. Showtime has a tendency to air shows as comedies that come across as dramas (see also The Big C, United States of Tara and Weeds) The creator of Weeds is the Creator and writer of Orange is the New Black. These shows are always in the comedy category during emmy season
Flag
Sure, I understand that technically they run in the comedy category. But I see this as a technicality used by producers to get away with easier competition for certain names, avoiding the heavier opponents in the drama category. in a series named "If TV.com Ran the Emmys" a site with the reputation of tv.com could go for what a show truly is, not follow artificial rules established for the convenience of producers.
Flag
Chelsea Peretti. Why? The show wouldn't work that well without her.
Flag
Bleh... Aside from Anna Chlumsky from Veep, I guess I'd go with all Orange is the New Black actresses... but Laverne Cox?! She's had like 5 lines this whole season, 3 of which were about hair.
Flag
I could see Laverne Cox being nominated just for the sake of being the first transgender nominee...but I don't see her winning.
Flag
Seriously?!? Watkins over Marcia Gay Harden?!?
Flag
Allison Janney - hands down!
Flag
The emmys.com web site is saying something about online voting. Anyone know what that's about? I hope they're not leaving the nominations or anything significant to the internet. That never ends well.
Flag
Staff
Academy voters are able to submit their votes online. Not the public. Don't worry!
Flag
That's a relief. I was thinking that My Little Pony was going to win best drama series. :)
Flag
My picks:

Kate Mulgrew (Orange is the New Black)
Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
Miyam Bialik (The Big Bang Theory
Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
Natasha Lyonne (Orange is the New Black)
Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation)
Flag
I do not watch enough comedies but here goes

1) Alison Janney (Mom)
2) Christine Woods (Hello Ladies)
3) Tamsin Greig (Episodes)
4) Emma Kenney (Shameless - she plays Debbie Gallagher and this season she had much more material to work with and she was great)
5) Shanola Hampton (Shameless)
6) Ellen Wong (The Carrie Diaries)

I always feel award shows are nice to have but definitely not autharative. We all have our favorites depending on what shows we watch and did not watch. The judges have their own bias too.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think they are going with Lead Actress?
Flag
Well since I don't watch a lot of comedy I rarely pay attention to the comedy categories, but this year with OITNB and Shameless I think I can fill up the six spots:

• Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
  • Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie)
  • Emma Kenney (Shameless)
  • Kate Mulgrew (OITNB)
  • Laura Prepon (OITNB)
  • Danielle Brooks (OITNB)
BTW Tim, you know that Laverne Cox and Taryn Manning were submitted as Guest Performers and not Supporting.
Flag
Staff
We gave ourselves a little leeway with some performers because we loved them so much. In other categories you'll see we've also included people who are from miniseries because we're not doing miniseries ballots.
Flag
Staff
Some of us gave ourselves a little leeway. Some of us stuck to the ballots. ;)
Flag
Staff
I just really like [REDACTED]!
Flag
This year is the first time that I find the female categories more interesting than the male. Lead actress in a drama will be the most interesting one, at least until the actual nominations come out, and make us all vomit at the same time.
Flag
Orange is the new black isn't a comedy, and neither is Nurse Jackie*. I know that Nurse Jackie has been nominated for comedy awards before, but I have always found it ridiculous.

*) I have only seen the first season.
Flag
I do not find OITNB funny enough to be a comedy too but again I do not see it as much of a drama. There are others who describe such shows as dramedy like Desperate Housewives but I think the Emmys are not "progressive" enough.

Full disclosure: Not a fan of OITNB (big fan of weeds). Managed to drag myself through season one and still stuck on episode two in season two.
Flag
I don't think how funny the show is is what determines if it's a comedy or not. It's more about the general style of the show. Breaking Bad is funnier than both OITNB and NJ, and Supernatural is much funnier than BB. But no one considers them comedies.

What would OITNB be if it's not a drama? That term includes pretty much everything that isn't comedy. I suppose the original definition also includes comedy; it's everything that involves acting. I'd say that in this context, comedy shows are certainly not drama, but everything from Nashville to Game of Thrones is.

There are a few "dramedies", that don't fit squarely in one of these categories. Entourage is a dramedy that I would rather describe as comedy than drama. (It certainly made sense to nominate Jeremy Piven as a comedy actor). Girls is a dramedy that I would rather describe as drama.
Flag
If it hadn't been so ridiculous to consider Orange a comedy, I would have agreed that Taryn Manning should be nominated. I'd like to see her nominated for best supporting actress in a drama.
Flag
I'd go with Kristen Wiig for the mostly-unseen Spoils of Babylon. There's an actress who was up for doing anything.

"You'll also have access to a company car. A company plane. Three company bicycles. You'll have a lifetime supply of beef. After five years of employment, you will also be entitled to a small beach shack. You will have fresh orange juice delivered to you every day. Free child care for your friends only, not for you. After ten years, we will pay for any hair transplant surgery you wish to get."
Flag
It was such a perfect spoof of those 80's mini series where everything that happened to the lead characters was misery piled on top of more misery - and absolutely every character had secrets. She was phenomenally funny, good, in the part. Just thought more of it as an event rather than a series.
Flag
My list:

I think the TIME HAS COME TODAY - MS. PAMELA ADLON (Marcy Runkel, 'Californication'. This hysterically funny woman has been around for what seems like forever. Constantly working and giving all the men around her the perfect comedic foil. Be it her voice work (She's done everything - personal favorite of many Bobby Hill) or her many characters she is always at the top of her game. She's been playing Marcy Runkel for the entire 7 year run of 'Californication' and she's been so gdamn good in the role as Charlie's (we love Evan Handler as well but we'll always love 'Marcy' more) on again off again wife. She's won awards for her voice work as 'Bobby Hill' and for her writing 'Louie' - About time she got one for her great acting and flawless timing. I think David Duchovny, Evan Handler and Stephen Tobolowsky would agree she deserves an Emmy for 'Marcy'. Mayim Bialik's years dragging on ONE NOTE performance doesn't even register when compared to Adlon's. (Guess 'same old' popular taste is why the Emmy's suck so bad.)

KATIE ASLETON (Jenny McArthur, 'The League') - She's beautiful, she's working on a show with for the most part all boys, can't make it much easier when one of the boys is your husband (See also 'Kaitlin Olsen') on a cable show where 90% of the material is blue and she can give as good as she gets. Being the lone female working in a predominantly blue comedy .... that doesn't win you many awards or get your performance noticed but it really should. Especially when your character seems a lot more like someone you might meet on the street or who you've met than many of the 'television characters' listed here. This is the USA, who doesn't love a funny beautiful woman who knows/loves football and who can beat the crap out of the boys?

DORIEN BROWN (Kristen Newman, 'Wilfred') - This part as sister of the show's co-star has been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over again but never as sharply on the mark and disturbing and different as Dorien Brown's work on 'Wilfred'. She and Elijah Wood have gotten so good developing this dysfunctional relationship of two siblings using one another and hurting one another to make themselves feel better. Its an exceptionally dark sibling relationship which is virtually non-existent on tv comedy cause it makes people think. Its been as fun as watching Jason Gann and Elijah Wood together. The acting is just superior to most similar work on television. She's brilliant and she and Wood have been brilliant together.

MERRITT WEAVER (Zoey Barkow, 'Nurse Jackie') - Now everyone's on to her great performance in this great role. Its about gdamn time.

KAITLIN OLSEN (Sweet Dee Reynolds, 'Its Always Sunny') - SOMEONE, ANYONE OPEN UP YOUR EYES TO THE WOMEN BRINGING LAUGHS TO THE COMEDIES ON FX(X). She's been working for years, never a flaw in her performance, always willing to give everything to get the joke. Never afraid of how she looks in a scene as long as you're laughing. TIME TO NOTICE HER.

MAGGIE LAWSON (Juliette, 'Psych') - If anyone was going to get a one for the road Emmy - Ms Lawson grew into a pretty good comedic actress in her years working alongside Roday, Hill, Bernsen, Kurt Fuller, Kirsten Nelson and Tim Omundson. I'd much rather see her win one than a lot of others mentioned.

(If it were at all possible - JESSICA WALTER (Malory Archer, 'Archer') - There may not be a funnier or more powerful female character on any television comedy. Malory could kill ever character any of the editors mentioned. Her exquisite voice work that brings Ms. Archer to life each week is a performance that rivals the best of them. Great character, definitely a Jessica Walter role - she should get an Emmy.)

More+
Flag
Bellamy Young who portrays Mellie Grant on Scandal deserves a nomination. Her work is superb.
Flag
I wouldn't mind seeing her nominated for best supporting actress in a drama, but Amy Acker should win that category.
Flag
Staff
Acker doesn't appear to have nominated herself in Supporting or Guest, actually, which is a little surprising based on the reaction to her role. Sarah Shahi did nominate herself in Supporting, however.
Flag
That's too bad. "Guest" would probably have been more appropriate than "supporting", now that I think about it. How do you know who made the submission? Do actors and actresses usually submit themselves?
Flag
Thanks. Those ballots made me freak out a little, because it took me some time to find Keri Russell in there. But it was my mistake. She's right where she should be. But Amy Acker is not, as you said. That really bugs me. I checked both the "Performer" and "Guest Performer" documents, and she's not there.

Flag
Staff
The nominating ballots are made available for all to look at/analyze/whatever at the Emmys website.

And, yes, it's self-submitting. There may be strategies on part of the person/show/network/studio to maximize the chances of winning, like Anna Gunn putting herself as Supporting Actress as opposed to Lead Actress for Breaking Bad. Just sort of depends on the situation. Sometimes you're limited by where the show itself is nominated, so all the folks for Fargo are in the miniseries categories because that's where the show is competing.
Flag
Laverne Cox, Kaitlin Olson, Kate Mckinnon and Gillian Jacobs for sure! Would also add Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Rec) and Judy Greer (Archer).

Mayim Bialik though? Really? Big bang theory is the laziest comedy out there on all fronts.
Flag
Anna Chlumsky and everyone from Orange Is The New Black.
Flag
Especially Taryn Manning
Flag
Follow this Show
Members