Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards. 

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too! 

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We're starting with comedy categories, so let's begin, shall we?

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY CHELSEA PERETTI: Damn, Gina! Lest you write off the Nine-Nine's civilian administrator as just a run-of-the-mill weirdo, allow me to praise Chelsea Peretti's excellent portrayal of a character who, underneath all that bizarre bluster, is surprisingly sharp. Yes, Gina is loud, strange, and extremely narcissistic—but she's also caring and a bit of a savant, and Peretti does a bang-up job of marrying Gina's more off-kilter qualities with genuine emotion and confident physical comedy. It all comes together in a compelling combo of resident eccentric, sassy sidekick, prolific friend, and lovable odd bird. — Jen Trolio

WHY MICHAELA WATKINS: The thing about Trophy Wife's cast is that everyone is
(/was :(((() so comically gifted, with such great timing, and in their own weird ways, that it's hard to name one standout performer. And then we remember Michaela Watkins' work as the air-headed, well-meaning Jackie. It certainly helps that Watkins got to spend a lot of her Trophy Wife time working alongside our generation's best comedic force, Albert Tsai, but she also made an annoying character type as loving and bearable as possible. Remember Jackie's fling with Sad Steve? The mini-golf trip with Tsai's Bert and Bradley Whitford's Pete? Annnnnnnd now I'm just sad that there isn't going to be more of this glorious show, or Watkins' warm, hilarious performance. — Cory Barker

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/25/2014

Season 66 : Episode 1

49 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 5:30 pm
    Thursday Night Football
    CBS