Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already conquered the comedy categories, revealing our selections for Supporting Actress, Supporting ActorLead Actress, Lead Actor, and Comedy Series. And today we move on to the women of drama, specifically, those in the supporting category.

Editors' Note: You may notice that some of our nominees don't match up with the official Emmy ballots. That's not a mistake; we've taken a few liberties because we're only "dreaming" about the 10 "major" categories, and we didn't want to leave out deserving performers based simply on their submission strategies and our coverage plans. In come cases you may see folks from the miniseries and guest-star races in our lead and supporting wish lists.

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY ANNET MAHENDRU: Da, a thousand times da, Nina Sergeevna! Annet Mahendru is another classic case of a TV show only booking someone for a short arc—but after seeing what they bring to the role, keeping the character around for much longer than initially planned. The actress was wholly deserving of her promotion to series regular in The Americans' second season, bringing an incredibly complex character to life as Nina rose to double-agent status and cunningly played multiple cards—in multiple games—at once. Mahendru's got one hell of a poker face; yes, it's gorgeous, but it also proved to be an invaluable asset in the game of Cold War spying, as she portrayed a raw, endlessly compelling mix of human emotion and needs, cunning survival instincts, and a TCB attitude toward espionage. It'll be a true shame if this is the last we've seen of her on the show. — Jen Trolio

WHY MAE WHITMAN: If Kristina's cancer storyline was Monica Potter's crowning achievement on Parenthood, then Amber's complicated relationship with Matt Lauria's Ryan and the emotional roller coaster the couple experienced in Season 5 is what will play during Mae Whitman's highlight reel. As a young actress starring on a show that boasts one of the largest and most talented ensemble casts on TV, Whitman could easily let her elders do the heavy lifting, but she's proven on more than one occasion that she's not only capable of carrying her own weight, but that she can tackle serious and emotional storylines even better than some of her castmates. The actress showed impressive range as Amber worked through the spectrum of human feeling, from euphoria to sadness to fear and anger; she took what was written on the page and elevated it in a way that made it palpable, sometimes making viewers cry with just a tremble of her lip. It could be that Parenthood's writing is just that good, but I'm pretty sure Whitman deserves most of the credit. — Kaitlin Thomas

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actress in a Drama?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Anna Gunn- Breaking Bad
Melissa McBride- The Walking Dead
Christine Baranski- The Good Wife
Annet Mahendru- The Americans
Kiernan Shipka- Mad Men
Emilia Clarke- Game of Thrones

Flag
Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Hayden Pannettiere (Nashville)
Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men)
Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones)
Christine Baranski (The Good Wife) - I put her for lead but since she's probably in this category, I'll go with it.
Meaghan Rath (Being Human)
Flag
JUST NOMINEE JENNIFER CARPENTER FOR GOD' S SAKE

Flag
I love her so much.

"Shit a brick and fuck me with it"
"Thank the sweet fuck of baby jesus"
"I would rather put a campfire out with my face"
"Mother Fucking Suck Bag, Fucking Fuck Nugget" http://youtu.be/PZfhlBOHHYs

Sorry, too much love for Deb. One more:

"Do you really want to play the "what if" game? What if you wasn't a serial killer? What if Harry had left you in that fucking box? You know what, El Sapo's not the first person I fucking shot, Dexter and he may not be the fucking last. Anything can happen in this hellhole that is now my life. Your gift to me, Dexter."
Flag
Fatherf*****g asshats! They should have given her an Emmy already!
Flag
She should have won several times already. It's absurd that she was never even nominated, not even for the good seasons.
Flag
Maisie Williams or Sophie Turner (GoT).

Maisie Williams, for her laugh.

Sophie Turner, because although I knew she was telling a lie, she fooled me. (GoT)
Flag
The girls from Grimm.
And Kenzie from Lost Girl, she's ace!
Flag
I doubt that Amy Acker will ever get nominated for an Emmy. I mean she wasn't even considered which is blasphemy, because her acting is top notch.
#AnEmmyForAmyAcker
Flag
Who goes on the ballot isn't determined by the same people who vote for the nominations and the winner. She could have just told them that she wanted in (OK, maybe there's also a form to fill out or something), and she would have been on the ballot.

If she had been on it, she would have been my favorite to win it. It makes me sad that she didn't submit, or that the producers or whatever didn't submit her. I wonder if the other POI actors submitted themselves, or if someone like Jonathan Nolan did it for them.
Flag
I think if Anna Gunn just submits that picture the staff used in their picks she'll win.
Flag

Maisie Williams - Game Of Thrones
Emilia Clarke - Game Of Thrones

Emily Bett Rickards - Arrow
Alona Tal - Burn Notice
Kim Rhodes - Supernatural
Meaghan Rath - Being Human US

extra...
Frances Conroy - American Horror Story

Flag
Michelle Fairley 24
Flag
Tim watches Nashville? Ha ! And Hayden Panettiere really should be nominated for Actress not supporting Actress.

My choices would be

1) Annet Mahendru (The Americans)
2) Bellamy Young (Scandal)
3) Lena Headey (GoT)
4) Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
5) Robin Givens (House of Cards)
6) Olivia Munn (The Newsroom)

Flag
Robin Givens? I think you mean Robin Wright, and she's in the Lead category.
Flag
Oops...why was I thinking of Givens? Ha !
Flag
She's not on her, but I'd nominate Lana Parrilla.
Flag
I'm digging the love for Annet Mahendru, and of course Tim had to have Amy Acker on his list. My dream ballot would be:
  1. Caitlin Fitzgerald (Masters of Sex)
  2. Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
  3. Annet Mahendru (The American
  4. Lena Heady (GOT)
  5. Sophie Turner (GOT)
Flag
Kiernan Shipka - she's only been in 1 episode this season, maybe 2 but not for long.

Lara Pulver - Da Vincis Demons
Emily Bett Rickards - Arrow
Flag
Laura Pulver had such a great storyline this year on 'Davinci's Demons' and the editors here never mentioned that show. She was fantastic. I knew i forgot a great one.
Flag
In no order:

Ivana Milicevic (Banshee)
Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Lena Headey (GoT)
Sophie Turner (GoT)
Maisie Williams (GoT)
Melissa McBride (TWD)

Flag
Hayden Panettiere, Hayden Panettiere, Hayden Panettiere. She slays it every week.
Flag
But really...
1) Hayden Panettiere (Nashville)
2) Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
3) Annet Mahendru (The Americans)
4) Bellamy Young (Scandal)
5) Megan Follows (Reign)
6) Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Flag
Amy Acker - Person of Interest
Jennifer Carpenter - Dexter
Lena Headey - Game of Thrones
Emilia Clarke - Game of Thrones
Anna Gunn - Breaking Bad

I always liked Sophie Turner as Sansa. Interesting to see her on one of your lists.

Flag
Seriously not a single one of you picked Tatiana Maslany?
Flag
Staff
She's a lead actress. Not a supporting actress.
Flag
Sure, Sarah is, but what about Alyson? :D
Flag
Staff
Spoiler alert: I considered making Tatiana Maslany every one of my nominees for Lead Actress (which will go up on Friday, I believe), but I felt like that was sort of cheating.
Flag
you are my kind of people :)
Flag
Alison would win.
Flag
Amy Acker. She is phenomenal in POI

A distant second would be Annet Mahendru.
Flag

This one is so tough this would be my dream ballot:

1: Megan Follows - 'Reign' (Catherine de Medici) - if she doesn't at least get nominated then BOOO.

2: Ivana Milicevic - 'Banshee' (Carrie Hopewell/Anastasia)

3: Annet Mahendru - 'The Americans' - (Nina Sergeevna)

4: Katheryn Winnick - 'Vikings' - (Lagertha)

5: Elise Eberle - 'Salem' - (Mercy Lewis)

6: Maggie Siff - 'Sons of Anarchy' - (Tara Knowles-Teller)

HM: Lili Simmons, 'Banshee' (Rebecca), Katie Sackhoff, 'Longmire' (Vic Moretti), Caitlin Stasey, 'Reign' (Kenna), Ashley Madekwe, 'Salem' (Tituba), Maisy Williams, 'Game of Thrones' (Arya Stark), Lana Parrilla, 'OUAT', (Evil Queen/Regina), and Mackenzie Davis, 'Halt and Catch Fire' (Cameron Howe) - maybe I'm just admiring the commitment to the Mary Stuart Masterson 'Some Kind of Wonderful' hairdo?

Flag
Ivana Milicevic is lead. Yeh nice 1 with Caitlin Stasey :-)
Flag
She submitted as Supporting this year, lead last year. Strange as she is the female lead but she was real good again when she was around. I thought it was odd as well.
Flag
Anna Gunn? The show ended in September 2013... so even going back exactly one year from today I doubt that's very many episodes. How much was she really in them?

I know show had some powerful "freak out" scenes when she thought Walt killed Hank, and their conversation in the finale was decent. But I don't think she had a lot of airtime towards the end.
Flag
The eligibility period for the Emmys is June 1 - May 31. All eight episodes of season 5b aired during that period, and according to Imdb, she appeared in all of them.
Flag
This is very difficult. I want Amy Acker to win, but she didn't submit. I would consider Uzo Aduba (Crazy Eyes), but apparently that's a comedy. (WTF?). I would consider Kathy Bates, but apparently that's a miniseries. Oh well, this is the dream nomination anyway, so I'll start with...

1. Amy Acker.

After that, I'll stick to people who are actually on the ballot. But first a few comments: Ivana Milicevic and Laura Fraser had most of their good stuff last year. Morena Baccarin was hardly even in this season. I've been saying for years that Jennifer Carpenter should win this, but it would be ridiculous if she gets her first nomination for the year of the lumberjack.

I see that no one has mentioned Lauren Cohan (TWD's Maggie). Maybe I'm the only one who thinks she's more than a pretty face. Melissa McBride (TWD's Carol) is very good too. Lili Simmons (Banshee's Rebecca) is great, but the writing has been so weird that I still don't understand her character well enough to understand Lili is doing it right. Annet Mahendru has a bit of the same problem. It would be easier to judge her performance if I understood why Nina Sergeevna is doing the things she's doing.

2-6. (In no particular order) Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Bex Taylor-Klaus, Annet Mahendru, Lauren Cohan.

Just off the list: Sarah Rafferty (Suits), Lili Simmons, Bellamy Young (Scandal), Katey Sagal, Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey's Anna), Ivana Milicevic, Lana Parilla, Laura Fraser (Breaking Bad's Lydia...wouldn't she be better off in the "guest" category?), Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Natalie Dormer, Melissa McBride.

I'm sure that I will already want to change my selection an hour from now.
More+
Flag
Since this is the dream nomination, I'm going to pay no attention to the fact that Orange is the new black has been mislabled as a comedy. So I'm also adding Taryn Manning and Uzo Aduba. But I'll increase the number of people on the list, so that I still have 6 eligible candidates on it.

I'm very torn about whether Jennifer Carpenter should be on the list. The fact that she never got nominated is probably the biggest snub in Emmy history. The only one that can compete is John Noble. Jennifer should have won several times already. But the final season was awful, and she didn't have many really good scenes in it. It seems weird to reward as season like that. Still, if you look only at her performance, and ignore the stupidity surrounding her, I think she delivered. Ahggh...OK, what the bleep, I'll include her. Her position on the list reflects the role of Debra Morgan in the final season. If I had considered the entire series, she would have been at the top.

I also want to put Joanne Froggatt and Ivana Miličević on the list, but then I would have to move other people off it, and I'm not sure who. I guess it would be two of the last three. How do I choose which three to keep of Bex Taylor-Klaus, Annet Mahendru, Lauren Cohan, Ivana Miličević and Joanne Froggatt? Arghh...this is super hard. OK, I'll just swap Ivana for Annet, and leave Joanne off it. But I may change my mind again in five minutes.

1. Amy Acker*
2. Taryn Manning**
3. Hayden Panettiere
4. Uzo Aduba**
5. Jennifer Carpenter
6. Olivia Munn
7. Ivana Miličević
8. Bex Taylor-Klaus
9. Lauren Cohan

*) Not on the ballot.
**) On the ballot in another category.

More +
Flag
OMG I forgot Anna Gunn again. She has to at least be mentioned as a contender, and maybe she should be on the list. But I'm not going to spend any more time thinking about this.
Flag
Annet Mahendru - absolutely!
Flag
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -
Erika Christensen (Parenthood)
Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Annet Mahendru (The Americans)
Hayden Pannettiere (Nashville)
Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men)
Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones)

Guest Actress in a Drama Series -
Gillian Anderson (Hannibal)
Alexandra Daddario (True Detective)
Allison Janney (Masters of Sex)
Julianne Nicholson (Masters of Sex)
Hetienne Park (Hannibal)
Diana Rigg (Game of Thrones)
Flag
Why Alexandra Daddario? I didn´t notice much acting (she didn´t have much space) - just nice boobs and I don´t think people get Emmys for that :D
Flag
She had a couple of good scenes with Woody Harrelson and the Guest Actress in a Drama Series category wasn't particularly strong...
Flag
Christine Baranski must get this!! She was so freaking awesome this season!
Flag
- Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)

- Bellamy Young (Scandal)

- Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)

- Amy Acker (Person Of Interest)

- Olivia Munn (The Newsroom)

- Mae Whitman (Parenthood)
Flag
Olivia Munn :-)
Flag
Kathy Bates, Sophie Turner and Amy Acker.
Flag
Her?
Flag
interestingly, with respect to other categories where the nominees are quite scattered, here there are two names that appear in all lists (Mahendru and Gunn).
I'd like to see Mahendru, Gunn, Shipka, Baranski, Hadley +1 another.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members