Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

More than any other major award, the Emmys trick us into thinking that our favorite performers, creatives and shows have a chance to sneak onto the final ballot. With the Oscars, we know the kind of films that are going to get nominated every year. With the Grammys, well, it's the Grammys. Nevermind. Part of this stems from the sheer amount of time we spend with TV shows or characters; we're more invested in them, and thus their success (however ephemeral that may be), and maybe we convince ourselves that TV is more populist than film so our favorites can make some noise. Point is, there seems to be a prevailing thought every spring and summer that if just enough people blog or tweet about this one performer, on this one show, that groundswell will get to Emmy voters. Your Buffys, your John Nobles, your Communitys, what have you. 

But the reality is that the Emmys are just as rigid, if not more rigid, in their processes. At least the film academy attempts to make some generalized "statement" with their nominees each year. With the Emmys, it's mostly the familiar names and faces getting repeated over and over, with the occasional (and fleeting) glimmer of hope. 2013 is really no different. Let's break down some of the bigger snubs, and some of the moderate surprises, in this year's class of nominees.

I Guess The Multiple Clones Thing Split the Vote, Huh?

This is the one that everybody's going to be talking about, if only because Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany was this year's Person the Internet Gets Behind. Buzz had been building for the very-deserving Maslany, including some nominations and wins in other awards races, and there was hope that she'd break through at the Big Show. Alas, no dice. Worst of all is that the Lead Actress in a Drama Series category ballooned to seven nominees and Maslany still couldn't get in. Orphan Black is not the kind of show Emmy voters pay attention to, no matter how much we wish they did. Maslany turned in one of the five best performances on television this year. 

Emmy Voters: Still Mad About the Cold War, Weirdly Hate FX Dramas

I try not to get mad about the Emmys anymore, but the overall snubbing for The Americans, the best new show of the 2012-2013 season, got my blood boiling quickly. In my predictions piece, I noted that the show had only an outside chance to sneak into the series race, but I still expected Keri Russell and/or Noah Emmerich to get nominated (Matthew Rhys deserved it, Lead Actor is just too stacked). And yet, The Americans scored a total of two nominations, including one for Margo Martindale. 

I guess it's not surprising though, considering that Emmy voters seem to, for whatever reason, be less interested in FX dramas than we are. Tim ranted about this last year when Justified and Sons of Anarchy were mostly shut out, and it's the same story this year. Both of those shows went without a single nomination. So if you're scoring at home, Liz and Dick scored as many nominations (admittedly, in so-called minor categories) as those three shows combined. I guess FX has to be happy that American Horror Story: Asylum scored so many nominations, but the lack of love for the network's better shows (and I like AHS) is unsettling. 

Hannibal Goes Hungry

Bryan Fuller's Hannibal surprised many of us by being one of the season's best dramas, but I can't imagine too many people are surprised that the show was unrecognized by the Emmys. I didn't expect much for the show in the big categories, but to be completely shut out, especially in the technical categories, is a bummer. No love in Art Direction, Cinematography, nothing. Some Emmy love would have certainly helped the show in the run up to season two. 

New Girl Disappears 

New Girl scored a few high-profile noms last year with Zooey Deschanel and Max Greenfield and critical acclaim for the show only improved in its second season. Jake Johnson was the star of Season 2 and he made a bold choice by moving into the Lead Actor race and unfortunately, it didn't paid off. But it didn't stop there. Both Deschanel and Greenfield were booted from their spots and New Girl finished with zero nominations. Leave it to the Emmys to stop recognizing a show once it grows into something great. 

The Slew of Depressing—but Predictable—Snubs for Great Individual Performers 

It's nothing new for people like John Noble (Fringe), Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation), Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter), Emmy Rossum (Shameless) and Gillian Jacobs (Community), who have been doing great, unrecognized work for years now. It's a shame that John Noble never scored a nom for his Fringe work, but we couldn't have guessed that the Academy would acknowledge him now. But this year, folks like Monica Potter (Parenthood) and Michael Cudlitz (Southland) actually gained some steam among critics and other voting committees, again tricking some of us (read: me) into thinking they had a shot to make into the field. They did not. There are so many names I could list that deserved a spot in their respective races, but the space isn't there and voters aren't flexible enough.

Right Show, Wrong Performer

Sometimes, the voters do the right thing by acknowledging a good show, but they pick the wrong castmember to do it. That happened a few times this year. I think it's safe to say that we all love Peter Dinklage and his work on Game of Thrones, but Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was better this season. However, Dinklage is, weirdly, one of the yearly Emmy locks. Also on Thrones, I have no real idea why Emilia Clarke was nominated this year, especially over Michelle Fairley. Dragons are cool, I guess? 

Finally, while the internet's collective love for Dinklage is perhaps only matched by its collective love for Connie Britton, she simply wasn't the real leading lady of Nashville this year: Hayden Panettiere was. I know that Hayden was in Supporting Actress and Connie was in Lead Actress, but it's still worth noting that the former was better than the latter. 

Somebody in the Academy Saw the Turtle

We're still smarting over Enlightened's cancellation, but it was nice to see that Emmy voters gave the show a few pity nominations on the way out. Laura Dern scored a much deserved spot in the competitive Lead Actress in a Comedy race and Molly Shannon grabbed a nomination in the Guest Actress category. Two is certainly better than zero, but I'm greedy and I wish that Mike White would have been celebrated as well, either for his writing or for his performance. 

Netflix Makes A Splash... Sort Of

You're going to read a bunch of stories about Netflix "Changing the game," or "Making waves" in the next few days. And to be fair, the streaming platform scored 14 nominations, which is an impressive number in its first big year of original programming production. The nominations for Kevin Spacey, David Fincher and House of Cards were expected, but will still help Netflix attract new clients (and hopefully for them, subscribers). Yet, Arrested Development, once a substantial Emmy player, only received three nominations and was shut out of the Comedy Series race and 14 total nominations still pales in comparison to HBO (108), Showtime (31), FX (26) and AMC (26). Heck, Lifetime received 12 nominations and Sundance Channel received 10. Don't buy into those EVERYTHING IS CHANGING thinkpieces folks. 

And the Rest:

I mean really, this could go on forever: Zero nominations for Happy EndingsSuburgatoryThe Middle, WilfredParenthoodDexter, SuitsRectifySpartacus, Grey's Anatomy, Person of Interest or The Vampire Diaries. No love for Mad Men's Vincent Kartheiser, Southland's Regina King or House of Cards' Corey Stoll. The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies got knocked out of a race that she won just two years ago. Survivor and Shark Tank left out of the big reality series categories. And so on and so forth. 

Hey, but on the bright side: Louis CK scored six noms for Louie and four for his stand-up specialVeep's Tony Hale it made into the tough Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series race! Kerry Washington! Zachary Quinto! Bobby Cannavale! It's not all bad. I think. Maybe.

What do you think the Emmys got wrong this year? What'd they get right?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

143 Comments
Comments (142)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think your commentary is spot on. The emmy voters are locked in to the safe choices. While the nominees are deserving individuals who give solid performances, there were many other better performances that have been overlooked and some deserving individuals like John Noble have been overlooked for years. It is also sad that great performances and great shows are overlooked because the themes are objectionable, depicting mental illness, explicit bloodletting, or are too complex for some people to grasp in one sit down. Innovation has been rewarded in the past, but it should be rewarded every year. Unfortunately, I think the emmy voters run into the same rut as the rest of us, they tune in to their favorite shows and never flip the switch to see what else is playing. In this age of DVR's and streaming on demand, it is a shame that more people don't even want to try something different.
Flag
I believe Shark Tank was nominated
Flag
I agree with pretty much all of this.
Flag
I read that said BBC America didn't put as much budget into Emmy promotion as other channels, and it likely disadvantaged Tatiana Maslany.

It sucks that marketing dollars matters so much, but the analysis feels right to me. Especially since Orphan Black is still relatively unknown. When I recommend it to friends who love Emmy-fodder, most have never even heard of it.
Flag
BBC America is a disgrace to Auntie Beebs. It is chock-a-block with faux reality shows that only the mentally deficient watch, and it does nothing to promote its one good show, Luther, with the very excellent Idris Elba. Didn't see that nominated, did we?
Flag
Definitely needed to be some Suits nominations! and The Killing!
Flag
I've always thought, and even with my love of Netflix I say this, that subscription TV channels should not ever be included in the Emmy's. Keep it to the major networks and if you must, cable. But channels like HBO, Showtime, Stars..etc. Should have a different category or not be counted at all.
Flag
Lol
Flag
Monica potter really deserved an emmy nod she was absolutely terrific on parenthood this past season.

It also bugs that the middle gets no emmy love it really is one of TV's most underrated shows.
Flag
Michael Cudlitz not being nominated was a blow. Not often in a television show does a scene stay with me, but the last scene of Cooper is still etched in my head....that's dang good acting. Almost like the scene in The Wire when Russell "Stringer" Bell met his end by Omar. That scene stayed with me. The absence of Justified and SOA is still crazy to me. IMO, Jennifer Carpenter better be nominated next year along with Tatiana Maslany...the emmys just lost loads of creditiability.
Flag
right... its like I know the Emmys don't really matter and all that, buts its still like, what the fuck. And I don't think Id care too much, (I mean I don't as long as they don't), but still Jennifer Carpenter.... But I do have a question, does the Dexter cast still get considered if the show ends this September.? Ugh, but really who needs their consideration.... I kinda wish the people , the people who KNOW better, could get together and deliver a truckload of awards to their set. I mean realistically speaking and all.
Flag
agreed for Hayden Panettiere....she deserves it!!! so many nominees for major categories but its all just very boring....still can't believe that Hannibal wasn't recognised for anything :(
Flag
And I also may be in the minority here, but I think Peter Dinklage deserved this.. Everybody's saying that Nikolaj Coster Waldau deserved it more, but how can he? He had less than half the screentime of Dinklage and he was only exceptional in 2 episodes, maybe 3. Don't get me wrong, Nikolaj did a fantastic job, he probably won over the majority of the fans this year. But if Nikolaj Coster Waldau deserves it more to be nominated or to win an emmy, than Peter Dinklage probably deserves a statue as big as himself.. If it was up to me, they could have both won, but I definitely don't agree that Nikolaj deserved it more than Dinklage..
Flag
Why do you name Gillian Jacobs as the one who deserves a nomination for Community..? This could just be me, but imo she is the least talented cast-member of the show..
Flag
not just you. the way they changed her role in the show especially in Season 4 killed it dead for me. in fact everything about Season 4! her character worked great as a foil or Jeff/ somewhat subtle background character, then they turned her into a performing seal.
Flag
Sorry, without Tatiana Maslany, I can't even pretend to read the rest of the nominees. I know, it's an Internet stereotype, but that omission invalidates the whole list.
Flag
agreed! OB was amazing.
Flag
Why don't they just nominate everyone
Flag
And give everyone a gold star. They're all so deserving. Honey Boo Boo can get the biggest and brightest gold star, because hey, she DOES have her own show, right?
Flag
same shit different year
Flag
nobody has seen Rectify? i know it's on Sundance, but if you try real hard you'll find the channel!
Flag
I agree with most of the remarks of the article. For example, Fairley better than Clarke, Coster-Waldau better than Dinklage in the last GoT season.

Some snubs are really infuriating. The classic ones: the Americans left out everywhere, Tatiana Mosleny, Emmy Rossum, some Hannibal.
The absence of The Ghost is Seen (Enlightened) in the writing nominations is objectively horrible, as well as the lack of Mad Men costumes.

Flag
Seriously? You people still care about the Emmys?
Flag
No, but what else are we going to talk about?
Flag
Award shows are either elitist trash or populist pap, I don't think there is a single one worth a damn at the moment.
Flag
Yes, but the dresses are soooooooooo purty.
Flag
Am still furious about the Tatiana Maslany omission considering the performance delivered is on par with Claire danes but to be kept out by Michelle Dockery, Connie Britton & kerry Washington is silly.

Notable snubs includes Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy, Rebecca Hall(Parades End), Noah Emmerich, Keri Russell, Mathew Rhys, Joke Johnson, Zoeey Deschanel and Lily Rabe.

And i dont get the emmys obsession with Downton Abbey which is a good show but nothing spectacular to the more deserving shows missing out.
Flag
I like Louie, but seriously, it is not a real comedy! And CK is cool but in the show he is not a rip roaring funny guy!
There are many other bonafide comedy shows that are damn funny and get zilch!
Bottom line, can u stick a laugh track on any and would they fit a little bit? Not Louie!
Flag
Emmys are a joke, just like the Oscars and GG... Can't believe Mad Men & Hamm get nominations after this awful season.
Flag
I agree. every year the same nominees and winners. it`s as if they watch shows every five years and then just repeat the nominees.
except for dexter. where the F/&$(%nugget is jennifer carpenter!
Flag
*sarcasm on*

The much more talented Laura Dern was justifiably nominated instead.

*sarcasm off*
Flag
+1. Jon Noble outstanding, truly outstanding. Orphan Black and The Americans should have been well nominated here. they hate Dexter and love Mad Men. pathetic
Flag
What a joke.
Flag
Why do we even bother every year?
Flag
The Emmys are a joke, but I'm still furious that Tatiana didn't get a nomination. Another Anna Torv debacle. At least we know the truth.
Flag
It irks me that AMerican Horror Story can count as a Mini Series and that Modern Family continues to nominate its whole cast for supporting roles. I've given up on the Emmy's when shows like Happy Endings or Community at it's prime don't get nominated. Also, really Michelle Fairley killed it on The Rains of Castmere episode but no nomination crazy.
Flag
I wish Emmy voters cared enough to look into these articles. But they don't. Can't wait till they are all dead!
Flag
Staff
that's pretty #emo bro
Flag
More goth, I think. Also, don't hashtag. But I should have clarified, the Emmy people are all old and almost dead. Hurry up, guys!
Flag
Oh, I just love Peter Dinklage and I think he did great this season. I would have liked Jamie nominated, but I won't complained as long as PD is nominated. But I really think Emilia Clarke didn't deserve it. She has not delivered any awesome performance.
Flag
agree. Pd is always outstanding, but this season has been even more so. As for Emilia, all i can think of is the final scene from season 3 and cringe painfully!
Flag
i would complain but this is the emmys
Flag
The one thing I have learned from these nominations is that, as reiterated by your "Right Show, Wrong Performer" section, is that the Emmy voters are lazy.

It seems like they are not even watching many of the shows for which they are voting.
And, they should be embarrassed by the level of snubbery shown to The Americans and Hannibal, easily the new best shows of 2013 and IMO the best two shows on TV overall.
Flag
i sincerely think they dont watch anything, just click on a couple of websites or blogs and see what the buzz is, and then nominate mad men anyway.
Flag
it just shows that who ever it is picking these nominee's actually has no clue what good television is.
Flag
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau owned this season, same as Michelle Fairley was the key to Red Wedding.

Don't get me wrong, the whole cast is brillian but the Emmy voters clearley must not watch Game of Thrones to make a mistake like this IMO.
Flag
I agree that Nikolaj owned but Dinklage did as well, and since had had more screen time It's only fair he gets the nomination AND the win.
Flag
Actually, Dinklage had about the same screen time as Richard Madden's Robb Stark and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Jaime Lannister.

But Emilia Clark did have more screen time than them so maybe you have a point this is why they were nominated.over more deserving cast member this year.
Flag
Totally agree with your take on Tatiana Maslany and Game of Thrones!
Flag
I'm glad you included The Middle, that show is excellent and never gets the credit its due.
Flag
Staff
NP
Flag
Considering that Netflix only has 4 original series (I think) 14 noms is doing pretty well.
Flag
Staff
Sundance only has two!
Flag
Well Sundance got 10 noms for only 2 series and Netflix got 14 noms for only 2 of its series.
Flag
Best Drama Series: HANNIBAL!!!
Flag
Rebecca Hindle
I really annoyed Mariska Hartigay got snubbed along with SVU don't understand.
Flag
I am so disappointed that Tatiana was not nominated. That really blows my mind as her performance throughout the show has been phenomenal.
Flag
The nominees list is sorta disappointing: I'm skipping the Emmys; I'll be binge-watching a series on Blu-Ray instead...suggestions?
Flag
You should tell us what you have already watched and what you like.

The three best new shows of the past year are Banshee, The Americans and House of Cards. (13 episodes each). The best shows that have only aired two seasons are Homeland (13 episodes per season) and Person of interest (22 episodes per season).

Ah, now I see that you said blu-ray. That rules out the new shows. That makes it more important that you tell us what you've seen. You should be able to find the first season of Homeland and Person of interest on blu-ray. If you haven't seen Breaking Bad or The Wire, you need to do something about that. How about the first two seasons of Dexter? Spartacus is excellent too, once you get past a few weak episodes at the start.
Flag
I've seen all of Breaking Bad and The Wire. I'll give Banshee a try since so many of you guys like it and it got no Emmy love...plus it's on Blu-Ray soon like Whedonrules says.
Flag
'BANSHEEEEEEEE' Blue Ray drops July 30th.
Flag
The comments aren't loading on this page: http://www.tv.com/news/if-tvcom-readers-were-emmy-voters-poll-results-137416527088/
Flag
Thanks for the heads up! We're looking into it.
Flag
I'm ambivalent this year because even though they screwed most of it up, it's just so great to see Enlightened recognised, that goes a long way to fixing the damage.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I agree Nina is great, but watch Orphan Black
Flag
Really? I've been told some good and some bad things about that show. I can't decide.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany....I love Vampire Diaries, but Tatiana is phenominal...
Flag
Ali larter played 3 different character on heroes, and i'm agree with you. Nina dobrev is deserves to get it
Flag
Jon Noble was a phenomenon in Fringe, played two different characters but truly poles apart. seems they dont like anything they need to actually think about...
Flag
True. I forgot about John Noble. Fringe was great. Except season four.
Flag
Nina Dobrev, I loled when I read this. Thanks for making me chuckle.
Flag
No love for Hannibal or Justified, only one acting nom for The Americans, Emilia over Michelle, Peter over Nicolaj, no Best Comedy for Parks and Rec (at least Amy got nominated)... I love Downton, I really do, but seriously? Wake up and smell the soap opera, Emmys!
Flag
I know, it makes me want to skip the Emmys altogether (why watch it, when I could read the winners online).
Flag
Justified was truly superb this season.
Flag
The Emmys, the time of the year when Game of Thrones fans are repeatedly disappointed, except for when Peter Dinklage won.
Flag
New girl is a sitcom, it doesn't deserve any more nominations...I like Orphan Black, but I don't love it, it's not that special and a little too bland. But none for Hannibal :S Hannibal has got to be one of the creepiest-gory crime/drama/procedurals, it's less special than Dexter in terms of character roles, but wow, it has close to flawless acting and great pacing... :(
Flag
Staff
??

sitcoms are allowed to be nominated for Emmys?
Flag
For me is it Tatyana and Keri. Tatyana came out of nowhere and is phenomenal, I won't be surprised one day if she wins an oscar. And Keri, I honestly have never really thought much of her. But damn she is doing an amazing job in The Americans.

The rest is kind of expected. This is the Emmy's they are not known for promoting quality above popular.
Flag
Keri Russell was incredible on The Americans this year!

So was her TV husband.
Flag
Tv.com should organised its yearly award and get viewers here to vote. Open it to worldwide audience and have a ceremony as well !
Flag
I'd suggest we respond to this crap by voting with our televisions and changing the channel on Emmy night, except most likely none of us are any of the 25,000 Nielsen viewers, so they'd just assume that we were all watching anyway. Frigginsassafrassagrumblemumblehullabaloo........
Flag
How can you not nominate Mads Mikkelsen!!!!
Flag
I wouldn't nominate him. He wouldn't be my first choice even if I had to replace someone on those lists with someone from Denmark. He's great, but what he's great at is to not ever change the expression on his face. I'm not really impressed by that. Besides, there are so many great people both in the lead and supporting categories that many people who deserve recognition have to be left out.
Flag
whatever I mean who gives a fuck about winning some stupid award that nobody cares about anyway I think it´s more important that the actors know they have a real fanbase In my opinion this is more important then emmy that´s proves nothing because every year some stupid shows or actors wins an award for a show that nobody really likes. It´s like with the Oscars where only movies win that cost a fortune no mather how good they really were. And I think that proves what it´s really worth it to win one of these awards ... nothing
Flag
Mads Mikkelsen is too good for the Emmys, its voters were probably just intimidated by his awesome talent and the Best Actor Award from Cannes sitting on his shelf. That being said, the snubs for Hannibal and Justified are infuriating, as well as The Americans to a lesser degree. Why you hate FX, Emmys?
Flag
" voters were probably just intimidated by his awesome talent and the Best Actor Award from Cannes" - This actually made me LOL :D
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    America's Got Talent Live Show 3
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    Bachelor in Paradise
    NEW
    ABC