Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday, we spouted off on the topic of who deserves the title of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy, and now we'll wrap up the week by pontificating on which show should earn this year's Outstanding Comedy Series crown.

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

THE NOMINEES: 30 Rock, The Big Bang Theory, GirlsLouie, Modern FamilyVeep

RECENT WINNERS: In the last six Emmy cycles, only two shows have won in this category. Modern Family's had a lock on the title since 2010; if wins again, it'll have four wins in as many seasons. Before ModFam started hogging all the statues, 30 Rock won three years in a row, from 2007-2009.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: I've been over Modern Family for years now. And I'm not sure how Parks and Recreation and New Girl didn't make this year's cut. But because they didn't, this year's contest is between Veep and Louie. And although nothing would please me more than to give it to Louie, I laughed harder at Veep.

TIM: Louie. Not even close. 

JEN: I loved the way 30 Rock ended, but in this race, it's This vs. That: Veep or Louie? This is a tough one for me. But Louie's beautiful observational dark comedy edges out Veep's biting political humor for the win. 

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

117 Comments
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Fuck off modern family, you're shit
Flag
Sorry, something was wrong with the embed.
Flag
As long as "Girls" doesnt win i'm cool. Who even watches that show anyway? No offense...
Flag
The only time Girls ever made me laugh is when Tina Fey made a joke about the show.
Flag
C'mon people, PARKS AND REC! Vote Leslie Knope!
Flag
Dexter should win after this hilariously bad final season
Flag
What about Parks and Recreation? This show is always overlooked.
Flag
How I Met Your Mother and it's not there !!! :@
Flag
Veep and 30 Rock were amazing, but I really feel the Emmy belongs to The Big Bang Theory this year.
Flag
as to how they've never given the emmy to TBBT in the past astounds me. they should really let the masses of people who watch television decide upon who gets the awards...
Flag
Zzzame ole Zzzame ole group of nominees year after year. I nominate The Emmys as the yearly Best and Most Enduring COMEDY bar none-period !
Flag
TBBT is the only option here...
Flag
Community is easily the best comedy on television. It's the new Arrested Development - funny as hell but most people have never seen it... yet.
Flag
I'm gonna reply to myself here since I can't edit my post - yes, season 4 of Community was its weakest due to Dan Harmon not being showrunner, but he's back for season 5 woohoo! I wouldn't nominate Community for season 4 either - but 1-3 are truly brilliant. Louis and Veep are both on my list of shows to catch up on so I guess I'll piss some peeps off and go with BBT - regardless of its popularity it's relatively smart and consistantly funny. I don't know why people say it has a laugh track - it's filmed in front of a studio audience - it's not a laugh track. Perhaps the laughter is enhanced in editing - but i've seen the audience and they are real.
Flag
Wow how surprising pretty much the same nominees as last year, why do they even bother?
Flag
Wow, I can't believe the big bang theory is even nominated... actually, any show that still uses a laugh track shouldn't be in the running.
Flag
BBT is filmed in front of a live studio audience. Maybe they should announce it before every episode the way Cheers used to. Now MASH - that was a laugh track.
Flag
I don't think he was being necessarily specific about whether it has a laugh track or is filmed in front of a live audience....they both amount to the same thing. Perhaps the best term would be multi-cam sitcom. But I do agree, Catz, I have a hard time watching any multi cam sitcom. They are generally formulaic (set up, then zinger, rinse and repeat) and I don't care to be told "this is where you should laugh" or "this was a really funny joke, just listen to that audience!" Personal preference, I suppose, plus I tend to like the drier sort of humor that lends itself better to subtlety rather than the obvious hit-you-over-the-head humor found on CBS.
Flag
Wouldn't be actually nice if this year best comedy series was the actually FUNNIEST tv comedy around and not what the Academy wants to win?! Yes! I am talking about The Big Bang theory. On and a side note to that, for once I would actually like to see popular shows winning and not the same old, predictable shows.
Flag
Is irony when you use predictable and The Big Bang Theory in the same comment but you're not using the former to refer to the latter? I misplaced my dictionary.com.
Flag
The Big Bang theory is an immensely popular show with over 20 million viewers per episode and it does not win the awards it should. The dialogues are always brilliantly funny and smart and as far as I remember the series as a whole didn't win best comedy so far, and was nominated for best comedy just for 2012 and 13. So NO. It's not ironic when I am not calling TBBT predictable choice for the Emmy Awards. Get your facts right.
Flag
You missed the point. The Big Bang Theory is entering season 7, and as with all shows that have been on the air that long you pretty much always know what's gonna happen next. It deserved awards. Four, Five and Six seasons ago, but now it has lost a step. It's basically followed the same arc as HIMYM but a couple years newer. In two years we'll be begging for Sheldon to get married so the series can end.
Flag
Your statement has zero grounds. These two shows are completely different. The one is about a father telling his kids the story of how he met their mother and it ridiculously lasted for 8 seasons and we still don't know how he met her. It's a show that misguided its focus a long time ago and focuses more on Barney's life instead of Ted's. On the other hand, TBBT is a show ACTUALLY about a group of friends who are smart nerds/scientists and their lives. A show that had its actors been nominated and even win Golden globes and emmys and it becomes better as it goes. By far the last season was the funniest and best in character development.
Flag
This is what Louie thinks about the poll..

Flag

This is what I think for Louie
Flag
You stated in the comments that you only watch TBBT.. So nobody cares what you think about a show that you don't even watch..
Flag
Seriously why is 30 rock even nominated?Out of all the comedies i watch 30 rock is by far the worst!!The bbt should def be the winner!
Flag
Parks & Rec should win the Emmy. Dummy Emmy voters
Flag
I only watch TBBT
Flag
Big Bang Theory is seriously overrated. Yes, it started great, but it hasn't been great since the third season, same goes for 30 Rock. How they can be classified as better than New Girl, Parks & Rec, Happy Endings or Community (say what you will about last season, even community at its worst is better than 95% of tv shows out there) is crazy. I think the nominations should've been completely different, but between these shows Veep deserves to win. (Actual Winner : Happy Endings)
Flag
lucdejonge, I think you're dead one with that. IMHO, TBBT is a terrible show that panders to a majority much like shows like 2 1/2 men etc. 30 Rock was hilarious in the first 3 seasons, but steadily became stale. Mod Fam hasn't been as good since it's amazing first season. Unfortunately, it's these shows that always get nominated. I think Veep is funny, but something is missing from it that i can't put my finger on. I think I prefer The Thick of It... maybe that's it.
Flag
I agree about some of the points you made and yes, Happy endings should have been all over the emmys and definitely NOT cancelled, but The Big Bang theory is seriously hilarious, especially the last season! I can't remember an episode which I thought it was just ok. Also, 30 ROCK needs to be respected cause it was actually pretty awesome and one of the most unique comedies around - All seasons.
Flag
I agree with everything you said!
Flag
Maybe TBBT is hilarious, but it's a 7/10 at this point. Let's say there are no 10's on the air right now, because some years that happens. There should be a whole list of 8's and 9's before you get to Big Bang.
Flag
The critics you praise so much have the same criteria for aesthetics and performance as the Academy that awards the Emmys. You are completely clueless and you still insist that you know everything about the subject. You base your opinions on unrealistic facts based on nothing true.You stick to your own moronic and stubborn ideas and don't stop for a minute and think what you are actually saying is clearly stupid. This is the last comment you'll get from me as you have no argument and clearly you're not worth my time.
Flag
Nope, don't think I know everything, just the same base level of knowledge as most frequenters of this site. I can't believe you're still supporting that position. It's not like you have to look far to hear critics say the exact same thing about the Emmys. Try this very site less than a week ago: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-primetime-emmy-awards/community/post/emmys-2013-who-should-win-for-lead-actor-in-a-comedy-137892062252/
Flag
Well you're not one of them cause it seems your mind has the capacity of a teaspoon and can retain only so much... Hence, it's not able to comprehend the difference between what is truly real and factual and what is simply a figment of your imagination.
Flag
If you don't know that awards shows are a trailing indicator of quality and that they award past performance more than current work, you must be the worst media studies student ever, and everyone who has ever picked up a trash entertainment rag is one of them.
Flag
Excuse my language but that's bullshit. The critics and commenters? Says who? You? I am in my final year for my film and television degree and I know more than your profound critics and commenters. Dude, had enough of your crap. Say what you want to say, or better yet, write whatever the hell you want to write. Don't care if you are wrong.
Flag
Oh good, you read the sentence as I meant it to be read: People who know more than you.
Flag
And the fact that the show has been only nominated for best comedy in the Emmys in the last 2 seasons, what does it mean? Usually great shows are only nominated for their first seasons and not the latest two. Also, "the writings of many who write about the show", really? Very specific.
Flag
Critics. Commenters. People who know television.

The Emmys are a trailing indicator. That's indicative of the show being good 4 and 5 years ago.. This is well known.
Flag
This again is YOUR opinion. Doesn't make it true. Just something YOU personally think which it's based on absolutely nothing of a fact. My comment is based on awards they were nominated for their outstanding work as a comedy show & as a talented group of actors and number of viewers per episode. The latest season was watched by over 20 million viewers per episode. Is that ludicrous enough for you?
Flag
My "opinion" is based on the writings of many who write about the show. Number of viewers is indicative of nothing, as everyone on this site knows by now, especially as a series gets older.
Flag
What are you even talking about? Did you read my comment, or just like to say nonsense? ...Well you think it's a 7/10, that doesn't make it true, just your opinion.
Flag
I was addressing your comment. It may be hilarious, but it's not as hilarious as it was in the beginning, leaving lots of room for other things to be better.

Your idea that it's especially hilarious last season didn't deserve to be addressed. First, there's no basis for comparison. Are you comparing it to the season before? Are you comparing it to the last 3? Are you saying it was the best season? (that would be ludicrous) And second, Sheldon became a parody of himself after a while so no later season could ever be as good as an earlier season.

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Eww. Never Big Bang Theory. This is the first year why I understand Community wasn't nominated, but it should have at least been nominated, if not won, during seasons 1, 2, and 3.
Flag
Absolutely - hopefully it finally will be after Season 5. Community - other than last season - is by far the best comedy on tv.
Flag
I watch Big Bang Theory, Veep, Modern Family and Girls out of these. But, I think Modern Family has gotten less funny over the years. Not to be mean, but they give Lily too many lines. She's just not funny. I'd rather watch the adults on the show, than I would watching a 6 year old.
Flag
30 Rock had a fantastic final season. For the people that chose to watch TBBT during the same timeslot, well, your loss.
Flag
Agreed, I thought 30 Rock's final season was the best in it's entire run.
Flag
Well it looks like I'm one of the very few who thinks Girls deserves the win. The writing is excellent, and I think each episode is better than the last.
But ditto to everyone else to anything but Modern Family!
Flag
I only watch The Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock, and based of off there two seasons I would vote for The Big Bang Theory.

I haven't watched Modern Family for years, but I respect it as a solid sitcom. The same goes for Louie, I respect the praise it gets - but it's just not for me. It's far too depressing for a comedy. I haven't seen Veep or Girls and I'm not really inspired to watch either, unless anyone can convince me?

There are quite a few shows others mentioned that aren't in the nominees How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recreation, New Girl... I watch all three to a varying degree, and again they're solid comedies, but I wouldn't really crown any of these shows as the best comedy of the year. Happy Endings would need to be included to do that.
Flag
Louie is just not that funny! Like Nurse jackie, its a good show but not gut wrenching funny!
Where is The league in all this? Now thats a funny show, but maybe too adult!

Good luck with mediocrity!
Flag
Sure, I'd go with The League over any of those choices. But Childrens Hospital over The League.
Flag
Ha yeah Childrens' Hospital always makes me laugh.
Flag
I'm guessing Under the Dome started too late to qualify, 'cause otherwise it'd be a lock.
Flag
377221 with the Under the Dome burn for the win!
Flag
As long as the heavily favored Modern Family doesn't win, I don't care who does.
Flag
none of the above 2 BROKE GIRLS should have been nominated then given the EMMY hands down
Flag
Louie was very good this season and probably deserves the win the most, though not very "comedic." 30 Rock had a good finale, haven't watched this season much, but it didn't seem too bad. Modern Family kind of feels just "dull" anymore...there's just nothing happening. The Big Bang Theory gets too much hate from the internet, where people think it's "cool" to hate on anything popular, it has decent writing especially compared to other shows on television, and had it's high points this season.
Flag
Louie and Veep deserves it more then any other show there.
Flag
Is Louie really a comedy?
Flag
If it is, it's not a very good one. It often depresses me whenever I'm watched it.
Flag
I refuse to vote, since my TWO favorite comedies of the year, 'New Girl' and 'Arrested Development', aren't nominated.
Flag
Seriously, guys. Seriously. I mean, seriously. TV.com members, you have got to be kidding me. Why are you voting for TBBT? I'm not saying that the other options are the best ones either, but surely TBBT is the absolute last one to vote for out of this selection. I've always trusted your judgement, but now I'm losing faith in you.
Flag
Obviously many people don't enjoy TBBT, and just as obvious is the fact that many people love it. Diversity--it's a wonderful thing when coupled with tolerance.
Flag
Personally I prefer Louie, but TBBT gets huge ratings, and is a much loved show by many - there's no right or wrong in comedy only funny and unfunny and which is which is different for each of us - no need to be snobs about it. My bf for example thinks Dumb and Dumber is the height of comedy, while I find it crass, and I love The Princess Bride, which he finds childish, but we still manage to not think less of eachother.
Flag
fo realz
Flag
Here, let me fix that poll for you:

Poll

Flag
I'd vote for you if you were a show, wind_shadow.
Flag
:-)
Flag
I have never seen Louie or Girls, so I can't consider them. Of the others, I think Veep SHOULD win, Big Bang Theory will PROBABLY win, and if Modern Family wins, I will DEFINITELY throw my remote at my television.
Flag
I don't watch Veep or Louie, and since Parks & Rec isn't nominated I'll go with 30 Rock. They really stepped it up the last couple of seasons.
Flag
New Girl. I don't care what the choices up there say.

In all seriousness though, as long as Modern Family doesn't get it AGAIN, I think I'll survive. Although I might be making some voodoo dolls of Emmy voters.....
Flag
Louie should win. Nothing comes even close.

TBBT will win because the world is just that kind of a place.
Flag
I would be happier with a TBBT win than another Modern Family win.
Flag
I watched 4 of the 6 nominees (all but Girls and Veep, screw you pay cable and your quality shows I can't see) and of them, I think The Big Bang Theory stepped up their game well enough to earn it. There was a ton of funny moments as usual, but also some touching drama without being untrue to itself.

Modern Family really was in a slump last season, not "it's bad now" the way folks are saying, just not "the best of the best". 30 Rock's final season was so sloppy and lazy, if it wins that win will be for its run, not that season. Louie was very good as art but not as tight a comedy series as season 2.

But TBBT's still seen as lesser-than so Louie will take it on the art angle.
Flag
Thank you for your Modern Family comment. I am sick of the constant barrage of hate directed towards a show that may not be as good as it once was but certainly isn't bad. It's like it has become trendy to hate on it. I personally do not care for two of the shows that a lot of the Modern Family haters deem superior (HIMYM and TBBT). I watched a few episodes of each and did not get the appeal (or the laugh track. God, I HATE laugh track). That said, I would have liked to have seen New Girl or Parks And Rec nominated. One of them would have gotten my vote.
Flag
TBBT is taped in front of a LIVE AUDIENCE. Don't believe me? Click this link. http://www.audiencesunlimited.com/fmi/xsl/shows/browserecord.xsl?&Show=big+bang
And just because it has a LIVE AUDIENCE doesn't make it not funny and I hate how people think that.
Flag
It's a "laugh track" in that the studio records the audience's laughter on a separate track and then incorporates that track into the final cut of the show. A "laugh track" can be live or not, it's not automatically saying the same thing as "canned laughter", which is where they use a pre-recorded track.
Flag
I think audiences have given MF the Icarus effect, where they built it up to be too good in their minds, and when it slipped a little they saw it as a mighty fall which it simply wasn't.

HIMYM, MF, and TBBT are all very different parts of the sitcom spectrum, each has its own pluses and minuses but seem about equal in quality to me, just different tastes for each. I don't honestly see that level of quality (or rather, consistent quality) from Parks & Rec and New Girl, which seem to be a pair of darlings this season with buzz, they're not bad but they're not at the level of execution of those others above.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This last season of 30 Rock was amazing
TBBT is vastly overrated
Flag
"Sure... in opposite world" - lazy joke inspired by the last season of 30 Rock.
Flag
Anything other than Bigbang... Anything... Even a non-comedy.
Flag
Thank you. I tried to say this myself, but could not have put it better than you just did.
Flag
You're just jealous that 20 million people don't watch your favorite show.
Flag
Oh, the classic "you're just jealous" comeback. What would the internet be without it? My opinion about who should win an Emmy for best comedy can't of course have anything to do with my wish to reward smart, quality writing, but it must all be based on me being jealous about some ratings which do not affect my life what so ever.
Flag
New Girl all the way, but I guess they couldn't pay the judges off and didn't even get nominated.
Flag
guess louie wins. either the show or the actor. never watched it, but every one who does loves it.
Flag
Tbbt!!!
Flag
Veep, Modern Family doesn't deserve any more awards until one of them goes to Nolan Gould...
Flag
love louie, 30 rock, modern fam & BBT. but i think i laugh the most during modern family
Flag
Follow this Show
Members