Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday, we weighed in on the Leading Actress in a Comedy nominees, and today we'll be discussing their male counterparts.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY

THE NOMINEES: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Louis C.K. (Louie), Don Cheadle (House of Lies), Matt LeBlanc (Episodes), Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

RECENT WINNERS: Jon Cryer somehow took home the Emmy for Two and a Half Men in 2012 (even HE was surprised!), while Jim Parsons won in both 2010 and 2011.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: I'm over Alec Baldwin. I'm over Jim Parsons (at least the winning-the-Emmy part of Jim Parsons). And because Jake Johnson was somehow not nominated for his stellar work in New Girl's second season (WTF, guys?), I'm going to go with Louis C.K. for obvious reasons.

TIM: I'd like to see C.K. get an Emmy, but he deserves it more for writing, directing, and editing than he does for acting. However, even though he's better at those other jobs, not only is he worthy of an Emmy nomination, he deserves this thing.

JEN: Like Kaitlin, I'm still smarting from the diss of New Girl's Jake Johnson in this category. And I'm admittedly having a tough time separating performances from material—there are definitely a few instances here where the actor did a fine job with only so-so stuff. I'm tempted to give it to Louis C.K., but like Tim said, he deserves the honor more in other categories. So I'll choose Alec Baldwin—his IRL crazyness be damned—for the final season of 30 Rock. (Also, shit, I still need to catch up on Episodes Season 2.)

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

40 Comments
Comments (40)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jim is so incredible! No one could speak all-this-crazy-science-stuff language so brilliantly! #TBBT family rocks!

Flag
This just came to me as I'm re-watching How I Met Your Mother: How is Josh Radnor not nominated for "The Time Travelers" episode? I know the show itself is nominated a few times but there were a few outstanding performances last season (including Alyson Hannigan in the rooftop scene in "Band or DJ?"). Is the show too 'old' to get a cast nomination these days?
I know I'm rambling, but I just had to share it.
Flag
I really wanna see Baldwin win, he's done a brilliant job over the years in 30 Rock! He deserves an Emmy. Wouldn't be upset if Bateman or CK won but it will probably go to Parsons because of the shows fantastic writing for his character.
Flag
If Louis CK doesn't win is a shame
Flag
I'd probably go with either Matt LeBlanc or Jason Bateman. (Season 4 of AD was great.)
Flag

The League---nothing???????? The worst guy is funnier than any of these!
Flag
Sorry, CK is just not that funny ON THIS SHOW!
LeBlanc is funny, deadpan funny! Him or Baldwin still deliver the lines!, Parsons is just written to be funny, without his writes he is nothing. I like Cheadle, but this is not that much of a comedy show.
Again, shows are not what they seem, and NO ONE FROM THE LEAGUE????
Kroll or Scheer are way funnier, but get no love!
Flag
Only one of these shows I watch is House of Lies so Cheads it is
Flag
You should watch the other shows, they're MUCH better than House of Lies.
Flag
Having recently rewatched the 4th season of AD, I have to give it up for Jason Bateman. His downward spiral on this season, from the most responsible Bluth to one of the most disastrous Bluths, was both entertaining and impressive. I can't help thinking of him explaining to airport security that he was mistakenly voted out of a 4-person housing situation. Classic.
Flag
And yet again, I don't watch any of the shows listed. Where are you, New Girl and Modern Family???
Flag
Jake Johnson! oh wait...
Flag
Michael C. Hall.
Flag
Really? You hate Dexter this much?
Flag
I don't watch Louie, so I would have to choose between Jim Parsons and Alec Baldwin, who have both been putting forward the same performances for a while now. I do prefer 30 Rock and Alec Baldwin though, so I'll go for him...
Flag
Just so Alec Baldwin lovers know, he apparently submitted a terrible choice of episode for voting. He seems to do that on purpose, so don't blame the voters when he doesn't win :P

Meh. I'll go with Jim Parsons.
Flag
What a bizarre thing to do. I wonder why he does it?
Flag
Mostly, I think it's his way of saying "Award shows suck."

He also seems like the kind of guy that goes out of his way to make people think he doesn't care about things, especially trivial things like awards shows. He's not exactly wrong, but it also seems pretentious.
Flag
These nominees are probably the worst example of the Emmy's habit of rewarding past excellence. Jake Johnson and Louis C.K. were a clear top two and they somehow managed to screw that up.
Flag
I don't entirely agree, except for Jim and Jason... MAYBE Alec. At least it's not full of "Modern Family" actors.

• Matt LeBlanc made it there for Episodes... not for his past work on Friends. He's actually very solid on that. He's playing a charicature of himself on there, and only a little bit of "Joey" ever shows his face. Episodes earned him his spot fair and square.
  • Louise CK is just a comedic genius so as long his quality stays strong I'm OK with him going up there.
  • Alec... probably go a lot of favor because this was his last season on 30 Rock. I don't want to say a "sympathy vote" because he was very good... but I'm sure that played into it.
  • House of Lies was only on season 2 this year so it's not like Don had a lot to back him up. That being said, I enjoyed S1 a lot more than S2.
  • Jim Parsons... he's alright but honestly I've grown tired of him. With a couple of minor exceptions of his character growing this year... one episode's Sheldon is the same as another. Same voice, same superior attitude, and same scathing comments.
  • Jason... I thought this year's Netflix-hosted Arrested Development was good... but not great. So I'm a little surprised he made it on there. Perhaps because, as you say, they're rewarding his past work instead of the current stuff.
More +
Flag
You're right about Matt LeBlanc... he's definitely being rewarded for re-inventing himself, which few sitcom stars do.

But I think you sell my "rewarded for past excellence" argument well when it comes to Alec Baldwin (being rewarded for 30 Rock's full run), Don Cheadle (being rewarded for his movie work), Jim Parsons (for past TBBT work), and Jason Bateman (for the entirety of his Arrested Development effort more so than season 4).
Flag
I think some past years and other categories have been worse examples... namely when the category is 80% full of Modern Family stars after a luke-warm season.

I agree with Jason and Jim though. I don't feel they were worthy of anything this year and people are just voting on "BBT is cool" and "Remember Arrested Development? Let's reward that guy"

I don't think Don's movie work got him in, I think it was House of Lies. While I don't think this year was as strong as last year, that's just me... and I still think this year was good. BUT it's possible that's the case... he HAS been in a lot of movies so he may be permanently burned into their minds.

Alec, I think it was his work on 30 Rock this year... but they "bumped it up" another 10% or so because it was the final year. As opposed to "well every year is good so let's bump him this time too" BUT that's just my opinion.

Flag
I've never seen anyone on this website say anything nice about House of Lies, so I doubt any of them would praise Cheadle's performance for that show and that's ok, but some people (myself included) do like that show!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I want Louis CK to win, Louie is phenomenal!

If that doesn't happen I hope Jason Bateman to Matt le Blanc.
Flag
I watch only TBBT from these shows, so I'll go with Jim Parsons.
Flag
Tough call, it a close race of Louie vs Matt vs Alec for me... and I voted for Matt LeBlanc

Matt LeBlanc... believe it or not I think "Episodes" is an incredible show and he's a large reason for it. I'm not a "Friends" fan-boy so this isn't just me voting due to old work. Honestly his Episodes stuff has been great and I think he deserves the win.

Louie CK is awesome every which way... some would say he's the number one comedian on the planet and he's actually smart instead of just telling fart jokes. He does everything: writing, directing, stand-up, etc and it's always awesome... except for maybe Pootie Tang but I'm one of the few people that dug it. But this year I liked Episodes more than Louies show-stuff... even though his stand-up was awesome-sauce.

Alec was great on 30 Rock and I would love if Alec and Tina both won their respective categories. Jack D is one of the iconic characters who I will continue to imagine and quote whenever something comes up about capitalism or Regan.
Flag
For me, this is a toss-up between 2 performances that elevated from prior seasons.

Louis CK's acting stepped up quite nicely in last season, he was a more rounded character performance with nuance and humor and pathos, the ability to focus on subtlety and broadness altogether makes him very worthy.

Meanwhile, Jim Parsons is my other choice, and I feel like his previous wins weren't as easily justified as a win this season would be. Sheldon got to do more and feel more and be more challenged on TBBT this last season, and Parsons got to spread his acting wings in the part without feeling like "A THESPIAN!" performance.

I'm voting Louis CK because of the nuance part, it elevates his work just enough that it brings out true empathy in the audience. I picture his earlier acting and it's clumsy by comparison, here I imagine just his eyes for a lingering moment on "Louie" and I remember all sorts of actual acting talent coming out of the screen.

--

I can't see Alec Baldwin deserving an emmy this season for 30 Rock, his performance felt like it was on autopilot and the writing rarely gave him anything to do other than be Alec Baldwin.

I'd love to see Arrested Development earn an Emmy in any category this year, but nothing I saw from this year's Arrested Development is worthy of winning one. Any other season of AD, I'd argue for Jason Bateman's emmy, but not this one - it was hammy and silly and over the top and out of character and awkward.
More+
Flag
I voted fro Jim Parsons because his character has developed, but is still exceptionally funny
Flag
The irony would be if he didn't win this year for backlash on winning 2 and 3 years ago, because this season clearly had superior performances from him.
Flag
Alec Baldwin is just a great actor. I think he deserves it this time.
Flag
I agree he's a great actor, but I don't think that season's work was the performance he should be recognized for. It's like Lord of the Rings: Return of the King winning Best Picture, the Lord of the Rings series was great, but that movie was the weakest of the trio.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members