Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday we discussed dramatic leading ladies, and today it's the headlining guys' turn.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA 

THE NOMINEES: Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Damian Lewis (Homeland), Kevin Spacey (House of Cards)

RECENT WINNERS: Damian Lewis for Homeland in 2012, Kyle Chandler for Friday Night Lights in 2011, Bryan Cranston for Breaking Bad in 2010 (and 2009, and 2008... dang, Mr. White!)

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Last year, Damian Lewis's big win was a welcome surprise, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who thought it was a mistake; he turned in outstanding work in Homeland Season 1. That being said: We're all in agreement that Season 2 was not on the same level, right? So this year, I want to see this award go back to Bryan Cranston. It's science. (P.S. I'm really sorry, Jon Hamm.)

TIM: All these nominees are kinda, "Fine, I wouldn't be upset if they won." But no one is like "HELL YEAH MY BOYYYY!" The first half of Breaking Bad's fifth season was the series' worst, but Cranston still showed he had room to take Walter White to a new place. Yes, he's been better in other seasons, but he's still ahead of the rest of this field.

JEN: I find Damian Lewis's performance as Nicholas Brody pretty transfixing. But he's up against some tough competition here. Kevin Spacey's the man. Jeff Daniels can be pretty transfixing himself. And I so want to see Jon Hamm win one of these. But I can't not give this to Cranston. And in the meantime, I'll just cross my fingers that Mad Men's stupid two-year final season leads to a Hamm-filled 2015, 'cause next year's race already belongs to Heisenberg.

thekaitling:list:emmys-2013-who-should-win-for-lead-actress-in-a-drama/

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Drama?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Drama?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Drama?

– Emmys 2013: Which Show Should Win for Best Comedy Series?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actor in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

63 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bryan Cranston for the emmy? You're god damn right.

Flag
If ever there was a time for Bryan Cranston this was it, and he did not win. How SAD.
Flag
"We're all in agreement that Season 2 was not on the same level, right?".

Yes, but it was only marginally inferior. Can everyone stop acting like it's no longer one of the best shows on Television?

Anyway, this year's award should go to Timothy Olyphant. It's pretty obvious he's going to be another John Noble/Anna Torv. Well not quite, he did at least get nominated for season 2, I guess that should suffice... but it doesn't. Justified get's consistently better every season, not many shows can say the same.
Flag
Wow what a group of brilliant actors, I think Jon Hamm really deserves an Emmy for all his fantastic work in Mad Men. Gotta say Jeff Daniels and Kevin Spacey also gave fantastically riveting performances.... but Bryan Cranston has delivered the most amazing character portrayal I have ever seen on a television screen and anyone who has watched Breaking Bad will agree that he definitely deserves this Emmy. All hail the king!
Flag
Bryan Cranston could have won the Emmy every single year he was eligible and I wouldn't have had the slightest problem with it. And this is coming from a guy who worships the ground John Noble walks on.
Flag
Even calling BB's season 5a the worst isn't THAT terrible. A bad season of BB is still miles better than 90% of everyone else. It's like being the weakest batch of blue meth Walter makes; it's still the best stuff around.

I will say 5a didn't give Cranston as much range as some other seasons but he's still the one to beat. Even if he loses, he's pretty much a lock for next year anyway.
Flag
Kevin Spacey is awesome is house of cards. I know we all love Heisenberg but he will win next year for the second half of season 5. Spacey should win this time.
Flag
Bryan Cranston ofcourse who else???! People who consider someone else are either retarded or completely mental
Flag
Is this even seriously up for debate? Have you seen Bryan Cranston this season in Breaking Bad? Case closed hands down - everyone else should just start congratulating him now. Bryan Cranston for the win!
Flag
The choice is Bryan Cranston, 5a wasn't the best of Breaking Bad, but this field is surprisingly weak without Timothy Olyphant...
Flag
I'm a little sore that Timothy Olyphant didn't get nominated (again), but this is a pretty strong group of actors. For me, it comes down to Lewis and Cranston. They were both terrific this year, but I'm going with Cranston to win. His work on Breaking bad over these last several years is some of the greatest I've ever seen. He deserves to win it every year.
Flag
I was so mad Timothy Olyphant wasn't nominated!
Flag
Yeah 5a is not the worst of Breaking Bad, what does everyone else think? ID say 2 is the worst. Its still amazing but compared to the rest of the show its not as good. Id say
5b>3>4>5a>1>2
Id like to hear everyone else's opinion.
Flag
5a<1=2=3=4<5b
Flag
That's not an equation anymore but you'll know what I mean.
Flag
Give it to Spacey.... Cranston deserves it next year, when they're judging 5b!!
Flag
I want Kevin Spacey to win but I think Bryan Cranston will though I think he had already won enough. I agreed Aden Young did a fantastic job on Rectify and should have at least got a nomination !
Flag
Season 5.1 one was the series' worst? WRONG!
Flag
I agree, it wasnt the best, but it was better then 1 and 2.
Flag
The best drama in my opinion has been RECTIFY. Aden Young should be nominated, and probably win the Emmy. His portrait of Daniel Halden is electrifying good. Brian Cranston has been repeating himself for the last two or three seasons, and he is not giving us anything we have not seen before. Yes, BB is a great TV show, but I don´t think BC deserves the Emmy. While Aden Young, his work was unique in RECTIFY.
So when he is not among the choices, I five my vote to Jeff Daniels for Will McAvoy in Newsroom. Also a unique job there.
Flag
I think there was a typo where it said that Season 5a was Breaking Bad's worst.
Flag
Haha ya I can't believe Tim said that. It's much better than season 1. Also, I enjoyed watching it more than season 4, but I like seeing Heisenberg as king.
Flag
I feel like it should be Damien Lewis but I'm going with Bryan Cranston because I want Homeland writers to be discouraged from featuring Brody's family so much. Why is there a storyline about teenage sexting on Homeland?
Flag
Hands down
Spacey
Flag
The problem with these is that it doesn't take into account the episodes that these actors and actresses submitted. Emmy voters are supposed to vote based on the episode(s) submitted, not necessarily the whole body of work, because most of the voters don't watch EVERY show. So whole body of work, Bryan Cranston should win. But Cranston didn't have that much acting to do in 5a -- he pretty much had the same arrogant expression the whole half-season, so despite the voters having 3 episodes to watch (there are 4 nominees from BB, but Cranston and Banks submitted the same episode) I don't see Cranston taking this one.

The thing Homeland actors has going for them is that because the show has more insane and wild plots, it gives the actors more chance to show their acting range. They're sad, they're angry, they're scared, they're crazy... all in the same episode. And so based on their seasons (or half-seasons) I think Damian Lewis should and will win. I love both Cranston and Lewis so I'll gladly be wrong about this.
Flag
Where do you find out what episodes each show/ actor submitted to the Emmys? I'd love to know what voters are basing their opinions on. Like you said, most wouldn't watch every show - they only get a glimpse of each.
Flag
GoldDerby.com has a lot of stuff on the Emmys (and other award shows).

http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/288/

That should be the list of Drama submissions... but there's a row at the top with the other categories you can click (Comedy Acting, Comedy Series, Drama Series, and Reality/Variety.
Flag
It's hard to choose this one. My first thought is Bryan Cranston, but I think we're all a little under the influence of "Ozymandias", which isn't at all relevant to this year's Emmys. I think Bryan has to win again next year (for season 5b), but I'm not 100% sure that he should win this year (for season 5a).

This is an incredibly tough field. If anyone doesn't belong there, it's Hugh Bonneville. He's very good too, but his part just doesn't call for acting at the same level as Bryan Cranston or Damian Lewis. He's more replaceable than any of the others. (Full disclosure: I have only seen two seasons).

Jon Hamm has proved that he's an incredible actor, but I don't remember the latest season of Mad Men as particularly interesting, or his part in it as particularly challenging.

Damian Lewis was fantastic in Homeland season 2. Maybe even better than Bryan Cranston in BB5a, but not better than Bryan Cranston in BB5b.

Jeff Daniels have created a character for this show, and absolutely nailed it. But his job is just to keep doing the character. It doesn't require the emotional range of Walter White for example. I guess the same goes for Hugh Bonneville, Kevin Spacey, and this year's Jon Hamm.

This is really, really hard. After Ozymandias (which shouldn't influence us at all), it's hard to not say Bryan Cranston, but I'm going to. He can and will win again next year, it's a joke if he doesn't. But this year, I'm going with someone else. Uhh...I think it's either DL or JD. Damian for an incredible performance, Jeff for an incredible character.

It's still really hard to choose. I think I will invoke a tie-breaker. Since Damian Lewis won last year, and Jeff Daniels won't win next year, I'm going with Jeff Daniels.

But I'll add that I'm very much OK with either Damian Lewis or Bryan Cranston winning this. I just hope that they're not going to give it to Bryan now and then next year go "it's time to let someone else win". I'll also add that it would surprise me if Jeff Daniels wins it, because neither Hugh Laurie nor Michael C Hall ever did, and those two got their characters exactly right too, and were at least as irreplaceable as Jeff Daniels.

More+
Flag
I could give it to either Kevin Spacey, Hugh Bonneville or Bryan Cranston this year, so I'm okay with whoever wins.
Flag
I vote for the older white guy!
Flag
Jeff Daniels is brilliant in The Newsroom, but the answer is "Walter, Bitch !"
Flag
I'd give award to Bryan Cranston,just based on scene from latest episode,when he was confronted by Skyler and Junior about Hank's fate.
All kinds of emotions,very powerful stuff.
I did vote for Hugh Bonneville,because Downton Abbey has something unique and that is hard to find on tv these days. Show isn't filled with blood,sex,guns,etc yet it still draws me in,even more so than some high ranked shows.
Flag
I agree about that scene, but it won't be relevant until next year when season 5b is eligible for Emmys.
Flag
The first half of Breaking Bad's fifth season was the series' worst...

Wait, what? Surely I didn't read that right.

Flag
there is no series's worst , all seasons are awsome even if compare them to eachother
Flag
I'm curious what season you guys thought was the worst. I'm talking to those of you who are saying (more or less explicitly) that Tim is an idiot for writing those words, WavSlave, mcepin3, klotensen,...
Flag
I would have to say 2 is the worst. Its still amazing, but i just felt it was the weakest. Id rank the seasons
5b>3>4>5a>1>2
Flag
You're not an idiot for having another opinion. But some people could argue that you are an idiot when you miss with every second swing. Strangely Tim is spot-on with all the other swings, so it must be occasional surettes...
In this case, I, personally, tend to not rate breaking bad's seasons. Do you understand me? If you have kids, you don't tell one of them to be your most favorite and the other to BE THE WORST, don't you? Since this metaphor lacks accuracy like every metaphor I need to add that it's alright to rate episodes and so there is a worst episode ever - but seasons? No way. If you do you end up saying something stupid and therefore will be called "idiot" which is normal, not so serious and sometimes healthy. We've all been there, even one of "those"...
Flag
No indeed, I'm not calling him an idiot at all, especially since there is no right or wrong answer. In fact, I wouldn't call anyone -- here or anywhere else -- an idiot even if I thought that were the case (and I certainly don't). I'm not like that. In fact, Tim happens to be one of my favorite folks here and I like his insights and style of writing quite a lot. My opinion just obviously differs from his on this particular point.

I have no idea what season I would call the "worst," since none of them were bad in my mind. But personally, I wouldn't put 5A at the bottom. I think I liked it more once he began to really, well, break bad. I seem to recall not being overly fond of all the at-home, family stuff in its earliest years, preferring the drug kingpin aspects of it more, which was brought much more to the forefront in later seasons.

Flag
I don't know which one was the worst. Season 1? (The season that started it all, and had one of TV's most memorable scenes in episode 2). Season 2? (The season that introduced Saul, Gus and Mike, had a lot of great Jesse moments, and was the season where Walt really broke bad). Season 5a? Maybe 5a was the worst. That doesn't mean that it wasn't great.

Flag
Yeah, in all fairness to Tim, I don't know that the comment was totally "wrong" since it's been five or six years since I watched those earliest episodes and my memory ain't what it used to be. But I've always thought the show improved each and every season, or at least had a greater and greater impact on me as time passed. I do remember thinking at its beginning that it was all good and fine but nothing especially "epic," whereas I have clear memories during seasons 4 and 5A of having watched something truly excellent, affecting and engrossing.

I just picture the "quality graph" of the show's overall run as not being the typical bell curve that most shows have, but rather a continual upward slope (a real TV rarity, to be sure). So with that mental image in mind, I still can't call 5A the worst since some earlier season had a lower "Y" value on that graph.

Meh, it's all subjective anyway.

Flag
I'm surprised as well. I mean yes, technically it was because it was only 8 episodes long and BB takes its time to unfold the plot. So if you'd take any great season and cut it in half, it'd get a similar rating.

But Bryan Cranston... come one! IT'S BRYAN CRANSTON!!
Flag
So season 5a can't be the worst season of Breaking Bad because Bryan Cranston was in it? I see a problem with your argument.
Flag
I cynically envisioned AMC continually splitting the remaining even number of BB episodes into smaller and smaller half-seasons (the last 16 becoming 8 and 8, the last 8 becoming 4 and 4, etc.) so as to milk every last drop of publicity out of it for years to come until they were finally forced to finish showing them all.
Flag
Didn't even read,what that idiot wrote(never do,just skip to voting and comments)...he has no idea,what he is talking about.
I am sorry for insulting idiots,when I called Tim idiot.
Flag
I think the author of those lines had surettes at the time...
It's a medical condition that can lead to serious douchyness if not treated properly.
Flag
No contest here, Bryan Cranston is in different league.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members