Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning August 25th, 2014)

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday, we discussed our picks for for Supporting Actor in a Comedy, and today we're moving on to the leading ladies of laffers.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

THE NOMINEES: Laura Dern (Enlightened), Lena Dunham (Girls), Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep), Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

RECENT WINNERS: Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Veep in 2012, Melissa McCarthy for Mike & Molly (and probably Bridesmaids) in 2011, and Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie in 2010

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: I can see the Emmy going to Tina Fey because it's 30 Rock's last year at the Emmys, but she shouldn't win. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is more than worthy (and has won about a billion times before), but come on, Universe, isn't it about time you rewarded Amy Poehler? It's unthinkable that she still hasn't won for her portrayal of Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation, and I will not stand for it any longer.

TIM: Enlightened's Amy Jellicoe wasn't the best female comedic lead of 2012 simply because of the way she was written. Laura Dern absolutely became Jellicoe and embodied all her awkwardness, and it was one of the most amazing things to watch in all of television. She's got no shot to win (JLD will snag the trophy, no problemo), but Enlightened is no stranger to underdog status, and I'm no stranger to trumpeting its excellence or that of its star. 

JEN: This is a strong group of nominees, and I'd be happy to see Dern, Fey, JLD, or Poehler take home the prize. But what I really WANT is for Poehler—who's nominated for the fourth time in as many years—to finally get her due.

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2013

Season 65 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/25/2014

Season 66 : Episode 1

59 Comments
Follow this Show
Members