Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday we spread the love around the Supporting Actor category, and today we're moving on to leading ladies! 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA 

THE NOMINEES: Connie Britton (Nashville), Claire Danes (Homeland), Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey), Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), Kerry Washington (Scandal), Robin Wright (House of Cards)

RECENT WINNERS: Claire Danes took home the award in 2012, while Julianna Margulies won for The Good Wife in 2011, and The Closer's Kyra Sedgwick won in 2010.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Seven nominees and not one of them is Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany? For shame! And now that I've got that over with, it's... time for my next rant. As much as it pains me to say this: Connie Britton, girl, what are you even doing here? Nashville is not your best work. Anyway, I really want Elisabeth Moss to get the love she deserves, but this isn't her year (and I'm fairly certain she's a lock for Lead Actress in a Miniseries for Top of the Lake, anyhow). I have eyes and I'm smart enough to know not to vote against the power of Claire Danes.

TIM: There's no standout here like there was in 2012. Danes had her so-called moments in Homeland's second season, but let's honor some fresh blood and hand some shiny things to Vera Farmiga for keeping it creepy all season long.

JEN: I'm inclined to give it to Kerry Washington or Vera Farmiga simply because I'm glad the Emmy voters shook things up a bit by including them. Robin Wright was good, too. But it has to be Elizabeth Moss for me. She's so good on Mad Men and she just don't get no respect. Hmmm, or maybe I should give it to Washington or Farmiga now that Moss has TWO more chances to win. Nah, I'm sticking with Moss. Boss Peggy rules. 

thekaitling:list:emmys-2013-who-should-win-for-lead-actress-in-a-drama/

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Drama?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Drama?

– Emmys 2013: Which Show Should Win for Best Comedy Series?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actor in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

– Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

56 Comments
Comments (55)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"So called moments"? Claire Danes is undoubtedly one of the best actresses on Television and Homeland Season 2 was a lot better than everyone remembers. Sure it wasn't quite Season 1 but that wasn't because of Claire. Her facial expressions are to die for :)
Flag
Forget Connie Britton. Why wasn't Hayden Panettiere nominated for Nashville? Outstanding acting for the entire season!
Flag
How about tatiana maslany? Oh wait.. she didn't get nominated.. stupid emmys
Flag
Sorry, something was wrong with the embed.
Flag
I dont know, I dont watch any of these shows . Darn :)
Flag
I agree, Tatiana Maslany should be nominated, and Jennifer Carpenter. I give my vote to Elisabeth Moss, not for Mad Men, but for Top Of The Lake.
Flag
None of these women deserve Tatiana Maslany's award. The Emmys are going to look really stupid at this award come Sunday. Their best move would be to admit that the nominating comitee screwed the pooch, let Tatiana present Her award to one of these women who wish they put in the performance(s) she did this year and all the nominees should all be wearing clone masks in the audience. Most ridiculous snub of the Emmys this year without question. LET HER PRESENT IT! If they don't even invite her to the party, then this Award has reached a new level of suckiness.

Claire Danes performance went from wonderful in season one to completely laughable in season two. She doesn't hold a candle to Tatiana. Robin Wright was just furniture in ' House of Cards', she wasn't even the best female performer in that show. Elizabeth Moss is a supporting actress, Maslany put in at least 4 performances that were better than Moss's really stupid story arc this season of 'MM' - the fact that performers or producers decide themselves where to submit is absurd. If one of these women has to win - the second best female performance was Emmy Rossum's wonderful 'Fiona Gallagher'... oh wait these numskulls didn't nominate her either and they nominated that lady from 'Spin City'?

Screw this award and the entire tainted Emmy production.
More+
Flag
I also think that Keri Russell ('The Americans') and Ivana Milicivec ('Banshee') who took roles that were so far out of their comfort zones and created two of the most wonderful powerful original female characters presented on television in years deserved nominations as well. Yeah I was right, this category is rubbish....
Flag
Michelle Dockery should win - she's just awesome Downtown Abbey!
Flag
Vera Farmiga should win, amazing performance in Bates Motel

Flag
None of the above. It was the crime of the century that Tatiana Maslany wasn't nominated.
Flag
There was no sight better this summer than a hysteric Norma Bates!!! :)
Flag
Tatiana Maslany
Flag
Dockery, Washington and Britton are wasted nominees
Flag
Claire Danes should not receive any recognition for the, at MOST mediocre season 2 of Homeland.

Plus, she still hasn't shown that she has any range besides "Cry a lot" and "Yell".
Flag
Im sorry Emmy voters but I'm thinking its time for a #CloneClub protest at the Emmys. Connie Britten does not deserve to be on that list and Tatiana Maslany does.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany!!!! ......2nd.Claire Danes
Flag
I would have voted for Tatiana Maslany too! When an episode was playing, I would sometimes forget half of the characters are played by the same actress.

But yeah, so Kerry Washington and Vera Farmiga is a close second.
Flag
Vera Farmiga

And if Tatiana Maslany was nominated i would have voted for her
Flag
couldn't have said it better myself!
Flag
Vera Farmiga. No question about it. "Bates Motel" may not get a lot of love but she is just splendid on it. She carries of that not-quite-right-in-the-head vibe that Norma has about her. You watch ths show and you think, "yeah, I could see her kid turning into a murderer", but you still kinda root for her and her special brand of crazy.
Flag

I don't think any of these women except Claire Danes stands out as someone who should obviously have an Emmy nomination, and I feel pretty strongly against Robin Wright's nomination.

Connie Britton: Yes, she's good. Maybe a nomination is appropriate. But I think I was slightly more impressed with Hayden to be honest. Hayden is also a much better singer.

Claire Danes: She was fantastic this year. She's the only person here that I can say with confidence belongs on this list. She has to win this.

Michelle Dockery: I have only seen two seasons, so this comment may be not be accurate. I think she's good, but doesn't have to do a lot of acting. She doesn't stand out as an obvious Emmy candidate. It's also questionable if she can be considered a lead actress.

Vera Farmiga: I haven't seen Bates Motel.

Elisabeth Moss: She's OK. Don't know what else to say. I've never been a big fan of Mad Men, and never really cared about her character.

Kerry Washington: She's at least as good as anyone else on this list except Claire Danes, but I'm not sure she would make it into my top 7.

Robin Wright: Her nomination doesn't make any sense to me. She plays her character well, but that character is very boring and doesn't really contribute to the quality of the show. She's definitely not the lead actress, or the best actress on the show. Both of those titles belong to Kate Mara. KM was great and is definitely much more of a lead than RW. I would prefer to see her nominated. I like her more than any of the nominees except Claire Danes.

Jennifer Carpenter: She should win this, or the supporting category, but as usual she isn't even nominated.

Tatiana Maslany: I don't think it's obvious that she deserves a nomination just because she can play several different characters well, but after seeing this list, I can at least say that I think she is more worthy than most people on it. She was kind of bad as the German clone, but she's really good as Alison.

Anna Torv: People were saying that she should be nominated years ago. I didn't really agree with it then, but honestly, I think it's because I never thought about it hard enough. Maybe I just didn't realize how much weaker the women's category is than the men's. I like her much better than many of the women on this list.

Ivana Miličević, Kerri Russell, Katey Sagal are also good candidates. I'm sure I'm going to realize that I'm forgetting someone really obvious right after posting this.

The Game of Thrones actors and actresses are at a severe disadvantage, since all of them are considered "supporting". But if Michelle Fairley, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Diana Rigg, Natalie Dormer, Rose Leslie and Gwendoline Christie are all "supporting", then aren't Michelle Dockery and Robin Wright supporting too?

By the way, I like all the GoT actresses I mentioned here (and some of the ones I didn't mention) better than most of the nominees.
More+
Flag
You should watch Bates Motel to know how great Vera Farmiga is in it, i mean that women is just a genius
Flag
None of the above. I agree with a few of the comments that suggest Tatiana Maslany should have been one of the nominees.
Flag
Crazy Face Danes!
Flag
Claire Danes... obviously,,, (she's AMAZING !! O_o_O)

but she will not win...

my bet ???

Vera ... yep ..

connie is nominated... lol ... very funny ... she has no charisma .... she exudes nothing (yeah ... i watch nashville)

also ... I don't understand how tatiana maslany didn't get an emmy nomination when she plays like 8 different characters on one show... -_-

Flag
Tatiana Maslany for the write-in win obviously.
Vera comes in second followed by Robin.
Flag
Seven of Maslany's characters in Orphan Black should be nominated instead of these ladies, which are fine, but not f*cking genius as she is.
Flag
I would say Vera Farmiga should win this category.
Flag
^ yes!
Flag
This is a perfect example of the splintering of American TV habits. Of the nominees, I have only heard of Claire Danes. . .and I have never seen any of the shows mentioned.
Flag
From this list, probably Claire Danes or Michelle Dockery, but I don't believe in Emmys anyways - if they were what they should, Maslany would be in the list.
Flag
i think Michelle Dockery is being overlooked big time.
Flag
DON'T DISS CONNIE! I watched every episode of Nashville, and she's fantastic on it!!
Flag
Staff
I absolutely LOVE Connie Britton. If this was a retroactive award for her work on Friday Night Lights or even American Horror Story, I'd be screaming her name as loud as I could. But Nashville is not her best work. It's not her fault, of course. The writers just aren't giving her the material she's worthy of.
Flag
I really disagree, I thought it was a really great show!
Flag
You're wrong
Flag
Out of this list, Vera Farmiga wins for me. - crazy and able to switch emotions at the drop of a hat

The bubble burst on Homeland, which hopefully means Claire Danes doesnt win (ok actress, but her crying face really annoys me)

Mad Men is boring to me (so i stopped watching)- style over content in a show which is basically about an advertising executive having a mid life crisis...the irony - and Peggy did not stand out in it.

I dont watch Scandal or Downtown so i dont know much about the actresses

Robin Wright - good performance, but not as good as Vera Farmiga's

Connie Britton - Does not belong on this list for Nashville

Personally i dont understand how Michelle Fairley or Julianna Margulies arent on the list
Also i would of had Anna Gunn here instead of the supporting nominees
Flag
Did you just call Claire Danes an OK actress?! Are you high?
Flag
and i would add Tatiana Maslany
Flag
Claire Danes will, and probably should, have this for as long as Homeland is on the air. I like Elisabeth Moss but I don't think that this was the season she should win for. And Connie Britton for Nashville? She wasn't even the best female on that average show...I reckon that the Emmy voters are regretting never letting her win one for Friday Night Lights...
Flag
I know its not on this list but fucking BREAKING BAD FOR EVERY CATEGORY THIS YEAR!!
Flag
Season 5b isn't eligible for Emmys this year, but will be next year. So fucking BREAKING BAD FOR EVERY CATEGORY NEXT YEAR!!!!
Flag
Ooooh....this one is hard for me.....it comes down to Kerry Washington or Robin Wright. I would cross my fingers for a tie!! But I would be happy if either one of them won.
Flag
Season 2 of Homeland may not have been as strong as season 1, but Claire Danes was still excellent. The interrogation scene between Carrie and Brody was one of the best scenes of the year, she's my choice for Lead Actress.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members