Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday we told you who we think should win the Emmy for Supporting Actress in a Comedy. Today we're bringing you our picks for Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

THE NOMINEES: Ty Burrell (Modern Family), Adam Driver (Girls), Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), Bill Hader (Saturday Night Live), Tony Hale (Veep), Ed O'Neill (Modern Family)

RECENT WINNERS: The only Modern Family man who's not nominated this year, Eric Stonestreet, took home the award in both 2012 and 2010. Ty Burrell won in 2011.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Sigh. This category! Can I just erase it and start from scratch? I've got to give props to Girls' Adam Driver for sneaking into a race that's been dominated by Modern Family for years, but nothing would make me happier than to see Tony Hale win for Veep.

TIM: Who cares if he's just Buster Bluth in the White House? Hale's Gary showed major growth in Veep's second season with the addition of a girlfriend and a sweet handbag. And while his talked-about greatest hits come from scenes that center on him, his under-appreciated genius manifests in his hilarious background work. The man takes hand-acting to a whole new level.

JEN: I refuse to vote Modern Family anything (I still watch and enjoy that show, and the performances are still solid, but they're not the best). With that said, Bill Hader, Adam Driver, and Hale are all worthy candidates, and Hale is the easy winner in my book.

thekaitling:list:emmys-2013-who-should-win-for-supporting-actor-in-a-comedy/

The 2013 Emmys will air Sunday, September 22 on CBS.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/18/2016

Season 68 : Episode 1

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Please give it to Tony Hale, he is such a pleasure to watch (in AD and Veep). Adam Driver is also brilliant but unfortunately I don't think he has a chance, and if it's gotta be aaanooother Modern Family win, it should be Burrell over the others, he is hilarious!
Flag
Adam Driver just over Ty Burrell for me
Flag
Jesse Tyler Ferguson is totally underrated. From the nominees, he should be the one to win.
Flag
What? No Rick Hoffman???!!??
He should be best supporting actor in every category
Flag
My choice is again none of these and Simon Helberg instead.
Flag
Ty Burrell is the new Bryan Cranston, or the old BC! Whatever!
Flag
The category nominations are a joke. 3 nominations for Modern Family, a show that had a great first season and got worse ever since with over stereotyping and lame jokes.... Seriously, who is in charge of the nominations?

VEEP is a show that keeps getting better, so Tony Hale 2013 all the way.... Well, not POTUS all the way...
Flag
Michael C. Hall.

Sorry, Mikey, your show is a joke.
Flag
i like RAJof the big bang theory
Flag
tough category to call overall. I, too, admire Adam Driver's work on Girls, but also gotta give Modern Family it's props, along with Bill Hader.
Flag
Tony Hale is long over due an Emmy!
Flag
I'd say it's between Ty Burrell and Tony Hale. I'd like the winner to be Hale just for the sake of the Emmys doing something different, but despite my fondness of Modern Family decreasing by the season, Ty Burrell is still as good as ever... ESPECIALLY when it comes to small sample sizes (one episode... or 3 in this category) considering ModFam's biggest problem is just each episode being too similar.
Flag
No one I whould not even conisder this shows as comedy
The only real comedy on tv today is the big bang
I only fell sorry for Ed Oneill How the mighty have fallen
(from Married with children to this so called comedy)
Flag
How any of the guys from New Girl arent in the running befuddles me

Tony Hale hopefully wins
Flag
Staff
Jake Johnson submitted as a lead this year, but you're right, the lack of love for New Girl is ridiculous.
Flag
Tony Hale to win!... But obviously a Modern Family man will win.
Flag
Ugh Modern Family. Obviously want Hale to win, but anyone that's not on Modern Family will do.
Flag
Are you serious? These are the nominees?! Tsk, tsk, three guys from the same show, and one from SNL? Is this a sign of how far comedy has declined? There are so many comedies out there, some of them are even popular, if those are the ones the Emmy voters go for. Out of all of those one should be able to pick six men from six different shows. I haven't watched Veep much, but apparently Tony Hale is good. However, I'll vote for Driver, because his character is...interesting. He puts a crazy spin on a comedy role.
Flag
I just want an Emmy nomination to Jason Gann or Elijah Wood
Flag
My first reaction is Ty Burrell, his material is written a bit one-note this season but his range still comes through in select scenes, and he actually shows restraint at times.

I can't say I'm familiar with Adam Driver's work on Girls, and I haven't seen Veep so I'm probably selling Tony Hale short by not nominating him.

As for Modern Family, I think it gets nominated so heavily by the academy of television arts and sciences because it's the best sitcom on NETWORK, and the industry still has a thing for network being the top of the food chain.
Flag
Staff
I would argue that the best comedy on network TV right now is either New Girl or Parks and Recreation and NOT Modern Family.
Flag
There was better on network TV last season:
Okay, NOT Modern Family we can agree on.
I won't cry Community because we all know it was the worst season.
But not either of the above (because reasons. also rants).

Happy Endings and Raising Hope were both better than Modern Family last season.
Flag
I love Happy Endings to death, I'm the one who started the "fuck you ABC" movement here on the site over its cancelation, but there's no way it's objectively better than Modern Family last season. The writing is punchier on HE but less even and less approachable. The stories are sillier and have less impact. It's also not as well produced and directed, and that stuff counts. A sitcom isn't only about how many laughs, it's about the entire 30 minutes of experience.

I can't speak to Raising Hope, haven't watched more than a handful.
Flag
I don't buy that metal analogy, The Big Bang Theory is broadly written and yet the most popular sitcom on tv, and also very funny.
Flag
I'm not explaining it very well then. I'll stick with the metal analogy most often applied to comedy: humor that is written broadly is less sharp. Like a very sharp spear point hammered down to be safe enough for a child to practice with.
Flag
Safibwana, that's not fair, that's almost a hipster attitude, shutting it down because it's too approachable and liked. It's not show-by-committee, its showrunners are 2 of the most talented guys in the industry from the last 20 years: Christopher Lloyd (Golden Girls, Wings, Frasier) and Steven Levitan (Just Shoot Me, Stark Raving Mad, Wings as well). And Modern Family has a consistent vision for how it expresses itself that's not at all committee, a pretty funny one I'd argue.

As for "offensive", a large chunk of this country is not so thrilled with the idea of 2 married gay guys raising an adopted child of another ethnicity, yet this show gets away with it easily.
Flag
I'll grant you that it's less approachable. But that almost makes it better by definition. Modern Family is comedy by committee. It is rarely off-putting to anyone and rarely the funniest to anyone. If there isn't SOMEONE who hates a thing for being offensive, it's not pushing the boundaries and it can't be the funniest. I hesitate to even call it comedy.
Flag
Aww yeah, now we've got a conversation! I can't wait to see the counter-arguments.

I'm not trying to bash, but I think Parks & Rec is uneven and gimmicky and soft, it's a smirk here and a chuckle there, a laugh, then an eyeroll. It's also stretching its base premise too far in the last season. And it's shot feeling like a backlot and a rented office space, where Modern Family feels like it's shot in real places.

As for New Girl, it's limited in scope and a bit of a soap opera, its humor appeals to its target audience and nobody else. There's not really a lot of range required of the actors, the material does the same thing over and over and they act it competently and amusingly, but it never feels like it has much to say beyond "hipster Friends, starring Zooey's eyes and bangs and affectations". And I certainly can't see it technically being called out as superior.
Flag
Nothing would be greater than a win for Bill Hader, but if he's to fail, it best be to Hale.
Flag
Tony Hale. I really enjoy Veep and he's a hoot on there... even if it is just like watching a slightly more capable version of his Arrested Development character. He's still hilarious in just about every scene.

Ed O'Neill is a permanent favorite of mine... I can't think of anything I've seen him in that I don't like. However I haven't seen any recent Modern Family episodes so I can't really vote him in without seeing them... and from what I hear lately the show's only been "OK" or "Good"
Flag
Ed O'Neill is still great.
Flag
Tony Hale hands down...
Flag
Why do Emmy voters have such a hard on for Modern Family. Its not that good give it to someone from community or IASIP or New Girl or anything.
Flag
JT_Kirk is pretty much spot on about the show itself. I think the essential part of the voting aspect of it is how it relates to people/voters. I don't have any footing in Hollywood or anything, but I assume the majority of the TV Academy/Emmy voters are 35-60; people who have families or are starting them. Modern Family, for a lot of those people, should be appealing because especially for a "family comedy" it IS smartly written.

I'm below that age range and my family doesn't come close to fitting what Modern Family is portraying, but even I kinda enjoy ModFam. I just find each episode too similar to the rest, so as a whole, it's not as fun for me anymore. But this, of course, isn't a problem for the Emmy voters because the voters essentially watch ONE episode submitted by the actor or director or whoever in that category (because there are three ModFam cast mates in this category, they'll judge and vote based on 3 episodes, 1 from each). In that small sample size, ModFam is fine.
Flag
I just commented on that question in my post above, but I truly think it's because Modern Family is the best of what Network Comedy has to offer right now, it's written sharply but not so smart that it thinks over the heads of the mainstream audience, it's an ensemble show, it's got material at multiple levels, and it's shot very smartly and effectively. It's also an easy Hollywood studio darling, it's got "diversity" without much diversity, it's got a gay couple who aren't too realistic so as to be boring yet aren't cartoonish, it has sex appeal without being overly sexual, it's got cute kids without being saccherine, it's got Priuses. So in terms of what Network has to compete as a show itself, Modern Family stands out, and network is king with academy voters.
Flag
So your saying its good because its perfectly middle of the road in every way that it can appeal to all audiences but its not funny. I thought this was the comedy catigory not the get viewership catagory.
Flag
I didn't say it wasn't funny. It's funny. It's not the funniest thing out there, but for network it's pretty funny while cribbing lots of older beats from past sitcoms and simply sharpening them.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members