Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS (Returning August 25th, 2014)

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. Yesterday we got dramatic with our unanimous choice for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama, and today we're shifting the spotlight to the supporting guys. 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA 

THE NOMINEES: Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad), Bobby Cannavale (Boardwalk Empire), Jim Carter (Downton Abbey),  Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones), Mandy Patinkin (Homeland), Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)

RECENT WINNERS: Aaron Paul has won twice in the last three years, in 2010 and 2012; Peter Dinklage won in 2011 for Game of Thrones.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: This is by far the hardest category to break into, and once you do, it's even harder to win. Anyone who's ever mentioned Breaking Bad in my presence knows I'm ready to give Aaron Paul every award, even the ones for costuming and sound mixing and stuff. His performance as Jesse Pinkman continues to blow me away week after week. I know history is against him in this race—I'm reasonably sure that no one's ever won this category more than twice for the same character—but there's never been a show like Breaking Bad before. It's a challenging feat to hold your own against Bryan Cranston and his alter-ego(s) every week, but Paul makes it look easy (in that, "Oh God, oh God, he's going to die!" kind of way).

TIM: I would have given this one to Game of Thrones' Charles Dance or Nicolaj Coster-Waldau if either of them was nominated—just sayin'—but since they're not, this is a tough, tough call. I wouldn't say the first half of Breaking Bad Season 5 was Aaron Paul's strongest, material wise, but Jonathan Banks stepped into the spotlight and killed it. Let's give it to Banks by a hair over Paul and Patinkin.

JEN: Oh geez oh gosh oh boy oh man, I don't know who to pick. Jonathan Banks, Peter Dinklage, Aaron Paul, and Mandy Patinkin are all so good! (I haven't watched Boardwalk since Season 1, sorry Bobby Cannavale, and I just don't think Jim Carter measures up here.) I'm fairly certain Paul is a lock for next year, though, so I'm narrowing it down to Banks, Dinklage, and Patinkin. And I'm going with... Patinkin. No, Banks. No, Dinklage. No, Banks. Argh! Patinkin. 

PREVIOUSLY:

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Drama?

– Emmys 2013: Which Show Should Win for Best Comedy Series?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2013

Season 65 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/25/2014

Season 66 : Episode 1

41 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Crossbones Crossbones
    NEW