Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each day for the next two weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. We're starting with comedy categories; let's begin, shall we?

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

THE NOMINEES: Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory), Julie Bowen (Modern Family), Anna Chlumsky (Veep), Jane Krakowski (30 Rock), Jane Lynch (Glee), Sofia Vergara (Modern Family), Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie)

RECENT WINNERS: Julie Bowen in 2012 and 2011, Jane Lynch in 2010

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Julie Bowen's time as queen has come to an end. Actually, I'd say it came to an end awhile ago, but Emmy voters have a love for Modern Family that I simply don't understand. And as great as Mayim Bialik is on The Big Bang Theory—and I mean itshe's probably the best thing that could've ever happened to that show—this award belongs to Merritt Wever and Merritt Wever alone. I will fight to the death (or at least until lunch) for her honor. She's the best thing about Nurse Jackie, and she has been for quite some time.

TIM: On Nurse Jackie, Merritt Wever does exactly what a supporting character should do. She strolls in, says a funny line without breaking a sweat, makes you want to see more of her, and then gives up the stage to the lead (in this case, Edie Falco). This isn't the strongest field, but Wever is clearly the one who deserves the recognition, so hand her the trophy already!

JEN: I'm familiar with Merrit Wever from her guest stint on New Girl (where she's excellent), but since I haven't seen much of Nurse Jackie, she's not a contender for me. And while I loved 30 Rock and Jane Krakowski's Jenna until the end, I'm between Anna Chlumsky and Mayim Bialik on this one. In the end, it has to be Bialik, because even though The Big Bang Theory isn't as critically acclaimed as some of the other shows represented in this category, her performance as Amy Farrah Fowler has been a consistent standout.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/25/2014

Season 66 : Episode 1

46 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 5:30 pm
    Thursday Night Football
    CBS