Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each day for the next two weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. We're starting with comedy categories; let's begin, shall we?

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

THE NOMINEES: Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory), Julie Bowen (Modern Family), Anna Chlumsky (Veep), Jane Krakowski (30 Rock), Jane Lynch (Glee), Sofia Vergara (Modern Family), Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie)

RECENT WINNERS: Julie Bowen in 2012 and 2011, Jane Lynch in 2010

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Julie Bowen's time as queen has come to an end. Actually, I'd say it came to an end awhile ago, but Emmy voters have a love for Modern Family that I simply don't understand. And as great as Mayim Bialik is on The Big Bang Theory—and I mean itshe's probably the best thing that could've ever happened to that show—this award belongs to Merritt Wever and Merritt Wever alone. I will fight to the death (or at least until lunch) for her honor. She's the best thing about Nurse Jackie, and she has been for quite some time.

TIM: On Nurse Jackie, Merritt Wever does exactly what a supporting character should do. She strolls in, says a funny line without breaking a sweat, makes you want to see more of her, and then gives up the stage to the lead (in this case, Edie Falco). This isn't the strongest field, but Wever is clearly the one who deserves the recognition, so hand her the trophy already!

JEN: I'm familiar with Merrit Wever from her guest stint on New Girl (where she's excellent), but since I haven't seen much of Nurse Jackie, she's not a contender for me. And while I loved 30 Rock and Jane Krakowski's Jenna until the end, I'm between Anna Chlumsky and Mayim Bialik on this one. In the end, it has to be Bialik, because even though The Big Bang Theory isn't as critically acclaimed as some of the other shows represented in this category, her performance as Amy Farrah Fowler has been a consistent standout.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

46 Comments
Comments (46)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
We are #TBBT fans! So of course it should be Mayim Bialik!
Flag
Since Amy Farrah Fowler is the best thing that happened to BBT in a looong time, Mayim would totally deserve an award for saving the show.
Flag
Jane Krakowski FTW!
Flag
I would have love to see Zosia Mamet from Girls nominated, but my vote goes to Jane Krakowski, it's way over due...
Flag
What about Martha Plimpton from raising hope?!?
Flag
Really..? Mayim Bialik?

She is so annoying in TBBT. No way she should win..
Flag
Oh, I love her. I don't find her annoying at all.
Flag
I don't watch Nurse Jackie, so Anna Chlumsky is my choice...
Flag
When have people stopped loving Sofia Vergara?
Flag
When did people ever love her? I'm not partial to her either way, but pretty much since the beginning of Modern Family her and her character have been touted as a one-dimensional stereotype with an extremely distracting accent. She's definitely better than Bowen though.
Flag
None of these, instead Eliza Coupe
Flag
None of the above
Flag
I would have any of the three actresses from Happy Endings, Eliza Coupe, Casey Wilson, and Elisha Cuthbert, nominated over these people.
Flag
Vergara has to get it coz she is paid the most!
Merrit is on Nurse jackie which is NOT a comedy show!
Mayim is my chouce coz she is deadpan and sarcastic, and really none of the others merit, except Bowen, who really is a cool , funny woman!
But who really cares!!!!!!
Flag
I really struggle to understand how Julie Bowen has won two years in a row, especially with Sophia Vergara in the same category. In a perfect world Anna or Merritt would win but it will be Julie or Mayim - maybe Sophia. The Emmys love MF and TBBT and seem to forget any other actors/shows exist when it comes to comedy.
Flag
Hmm, none of the above.
Flag
Wow, looks like a blowout of Mayim. I agree. She is the best part of BBT these days to me. Her presence just lights up the show.
Flag
This is TV dot com so I guess the Emmys are pertinent news, but I don't care. Awards shows are not necessarily accurate and most of these people are worthy. I really don't care who wins, but I voted for Mayim, although I do think Sophia is worthy of some love. She's cracked me up on every show she's been on.
Flag
Jane Krakowski was very good on 30 Rock but not consistently. Anna Chlumsky is definitely underrated and so is Veep overall, but I don't think she should win. Julie Bowen does make me laugh, but I just don't see her in a top spot for this. For me, I will have to echo what CrazedTvHead said and go with Eliza Coupe as the best supporting comedy actress. Personally I think she's the lead actress but whatever, she's amaze-balls funny.
Flag
Been a Merritt Weaver fan for a while. Give her the credit!!
Flag
I love Merritt Wever on Nurse Jackie, she is the heart of the soul, and always makes me smile. Personally I don't understand how Nurse Jackie is classified as a comedy though.
Flag
I am familiar with Merritt Wever from one of her first film stints, "All I Wanna Do" aka "The Hairy Bird." I knew then she was incredibly talented. She was also great in Tiny Furniture. I never got into Nurse Jackie, but I agree that she was a bright spot in the few episodes I watched. My second choice is Mayim Bialik because, come on, what a great character and very different from the other "funny" women on TV. Jane Krakowski is pretty good, she would be my third choice.
Flag
I threw my vote in for Anna Chlumsky. I think her role in Veep is too underestimated and think she does a great job there. Actually I love the whole cast of Veep.

Jane Krakowski was quite funny though on 30 Rock (if not too outlandish) and I kind of feel bad not voting for her since her big show is done now. But I thought Anna was funnier on Veep.

Mayim... she's hilarious and I thought the 50-Shades-Of-Sheldon episode was a hoot. But I find her role to be a bit too both repetitive and depressing. Honestly her character deserves better than throwing herself at a guy who can't reciprocate her feelings... and constantly trying to stay in Penny's graces. She should stand up for herself more.

The rest... I haven't watched their shows at all or in years. But back when I used to watch S1 of Glee (and her appearances on 2.5 Men) I thought she was quite funny.
Flag
I'd love to see Jane Krakowski win for the final season of 30 Rock. If not her then Mayim Bialik.
Flag
Good choices. I am not entirely sure of Jane Krakowski for that season of 30 Rock though, it wasn't her finest work (due more to writing and directing than talent, I believe, but that's still part of it) and I simply don't know Merritt Wever's work.

I'm voting for Mayim Bialik in this one because the question is "who should" and her role in TBBT has stepped up in so many ways this last season. They've asked a wide range of material from Amy Farrah Fowler and Ms. Bialik has delivered across all of it, even to audience discomfort, without breaking character once.

The idea that Julie Bowen's time has come to an end is almost not fair this time, the last season gave her a lot more nuance than previous. That said, I'm not sure it was better than the other performances either.

Once again, Jen and I end up on the same wavelength, stop stealing my brain! ;-)
Flag
Who SHOULD win and who WILL win are two totally different things.
Flag
Staff
So true. Cory's gonna predict who actually WILL win closer to the actual telecast.
Flag
That and a dime...
Flag
Who SHOULD win? None of them

Who I think will win? Bowen again.
Flag
If none of these, then who?
Flag
Poll

You know who should win? Eliza Coupe, Happy Endings. Dig it.
Flag
I voted for Eliza Coupe, just because I love an underdog.
Flag
Eliza Coupe vs. Elize Coupe is a tough choice. Both are phenomenal actresses. A lot of people seem to be voting for Eliza Coupe, but I'd go in the other direction and vote for Eliza Coupe. I'm not saying that Eliza Coupe doesn't deserve the award, she is great, but out of those two options Eliza Coupe is still a little bit better.
Flag
I dig it.
Flag
I'm going to take a dumpsky if Anna Chlumsky doesn't win.
Flag
Somehow I have a feeling she wouldn't find that as flattering as you intended it.
Flag
I will slap a beaver if Merritt Wever doesn't win.
Flag
Staff
@Lo....st and @ted: Please continue to express your choices rhyme in the comments of each of the next nine stories. :D
Flag
Follow this Show
Members