Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The Emmys are right around the corner, which means it's time to talk at length about the Emmys. Each weekday from now until the telecast on September 22, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on who we think SHOULD win each award. On Friday we told you which series we think deserves the high honor of being named Outstanding Comedy Series. Today we start dissecting the drama categories, and we're leading off with supporting ladies! 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA 

THE NOMINEES: Morena Baccarin (Homeland), Christine Baranski (The Good Wife), Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones), Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad), Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)

RECENT WINNERS: Maggie Smith took home the award in 2012, Justified's Margo Martindale won in 2011, and Archie Panjabi won for The Good Wife in 2010.

TV.COM EDITORS' PICKS

KAITLIN: Maggie Smith will win because she's Maggie Smith and the world is kind of terrified to vote against her (which, okay, I get it), but this award belongs to Anna Gunn, plain and simple. She's put in her time. She's portrayed one of the most hated characters on television for five seasons (and it's unwarranted hate, if you ask me), and she's done it beautifully.

TIM: We could very well be looking at a Breaking Bad sweep in the acting categories (minus the lead actress), but what if I told you the most deserving of the BrBa bunch was Anna Gunn? Well that's what I'm telling you. That woman can enter a pool like no one else! Don't forget—this year's award is for Season 5A, not the final eight episodes.

JEN: Three's a crowd, I know, and I so want to give this to Christina Hendricks for Mad Men, but she really should've won last year for her standout performance in Season 5, which was absolutely worthy of accolades aplenty (this year's nomination, Hendricks' fourth in a row, is for Season 6). But we gotta live in the now—or at least the Emmys' eligibility window—and Anna Gunn did amazing things with Skyler as Breaking Bad kicked off its swan song. Win it for all the viewers who hate you because they can't stand your character, Anna!

PREVIOUSLY:

– Emmys 2013: Which Show Should Win for Best Comedy Series?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actor in a Comedy?

Emmys 2013: Who Should Win for Supporting Actress in a Comedy?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

23 Comments
Comments (23)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Michelle Fairley shold have gotton the Emmy if not the Oscar
Flag
Christine Baranski is very deserving too !

Flag
Most of the fans here wants Emilia Clarke to win. Me too ! though I doubt it will happen.
Flag
I don't want Emilia Clarke or Morena Baccarin to win - I don't think their characters have had all that worthy material.
Flag
If Anna Gunn doesnt get it this year, she should next year after last nights performance...
Flag
I was so sure that either Lena Headey or Michelle Fairley were going to be nominated but life's not fair as the people of Westeros already know. This should go to Dame Maggie Smith or Anna Gunn, who was amazing. Emilia doesn't deserve it, I'm not saying she's a bad actress,she's great as Daenerys but the material she got is not Emmy worthy.
Flag
I.....don't watch any of these shows.....but a little piece of my heart will always belong to Christine Baranski, so my vote goes to her. ;-)
Flag
For once they chose six great names. But I would go for Anna Gunn. Her performance is great and just a tiny bit above the rest.
Flag
IMO Anna Gunn no doubt... She even submitted the terrific episode fifty-one... If justice exists...
Flag
If the Gods were just, Michelle Fairley would've been nominated.
Flag
From her side, Maggie Smith has a wonderful wonderful scene where she managed to move to tears just with a shot where you don't even see her face. That's class. But she won already and there are other good actresses in the field.
On the other hand, I wouldn't give the award to Christina Hendricks, who impressed me more in other Mad Men seasons, nor to Emilia Clarke, who is very fine but not award-worth (also with respect to other supporting actresses of Game of thrones).
Flag
Khaleeseeeeee!!!
Flag
If Michelle Fairley can't win, Emilia Clarke should.
Flag
Anna Gunn was tremendous last year and is my choice. I think Lena Headey or Michelle Fairley deserved a nod over Emilia Clarke, but either way this one belongs to Anna Gunn.
Flag
Anna Gunn definitely!

I lost some of the little respect that I had for any awards when Emilia Clarke got nominated over Fairley and Headey. Clarke did improve a lot from season 2 but in my opinion her acting still didn't reach the levels of Headey and Fairley.

I'm still bitter over NCW not getting a nomination for Jaime in season 3 (and because Alfie Allen didn't get any nominations anywhere even though his acting was one of the standout performances in season 2).

But yeah... Anna Gunn FTW!
Flag
Lena Headey for best actress!!!
Flag
She should've won last year IMO.
Flag
Emilia Clarke shouldn't have been nominated ahead of other more worthy actresses from Game of Thrones, and whilst I think that Morena Baccarin was surprisingly good in Season 2 of Homeland, I think that the award has to go to Anna Gunn...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members