Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS
poll
Comments (19)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
As I'm sitting here reading through the choices, trying to pick which one I thought was worthy, I found myself comparing everything to the shows that I think are better - those with shorter seasons. It was really difficult to actually force myself to compare the shows to each other only and not those with shorter seasons.
Flag
Elementary my dear Watson !
Flag
SVU is the only show I watch .
Flag
>18 episodes? So that means 19 episodes or more. Then why is Smash on the list? It only had 17 episodes in season two. Or am I not supposed to take the title that literally? Maybe "long form" just stands for "all sorts of shows that are clearly intended to play as a full season, i.e. autumn and spring, and/or are not mini-series or cable channel type of 10-13 episode shows". If that's the case, then I guess Smash can fit the long form category.

I voted for Beauty and the Beast. Haha! Poll ruined.
Flag
Nice catch, my apologies. I thought the season finale was actually two episodes which would have made it 18 for the season (I was shooting for 18 or more). Burn Notice was also only 18 episodes for the previous season. 18 feels like a good cut off point for the short/long form. What do you think the cutoff should be if this actually existed?
Flag
If it were a real category, I'd probably prefer the cut-off at 15 episodes, i.e., short-form would be anything through 14 episodes, long-form ≥15. When you're talking narrative structure, it seems like most shows fall into three categories: (1) around 6 episodes (or around 6 hours), often foreign imports or adaptations; (2) 11-13 episodes over 3-4 months, most commonly serial dramas whose quality benefits from a tighter storytelling format and generally less fat to cut over the course of a year-long production schedule; and (3) 19-23 episodes over 8-9 months with a lengthy mid-season hiatus, which may be heavily serialized but also often more or less procedural. Barring production interference, such as a writer's strike, most shows with more than 14 episodes have more in common with their longer counterparts.

I like the division, though. Undoubtedly, it's one predicated on the business patterns of show orders and season production more than any perceived artistic ideal, but dividing the eligibility pool would allow the Emmy's to recognize the strengths of each.
Flag
The finale was two episodes, and so was the season opener too. But it was still seventeen episodes. Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, just being a little picky today.

If a line had to be drawn, I think 18 episodes would be fine for a cutoff point. Most seasons that are naturally perceived as "long form" are 18+ episodes, while most seasons that are considered "short form" are less than 18. Nevertheless, wherever the line is drawn, there will always be exceptions; some seasons one would like to see defined as "long form" are kind of short, and some "short form" seasons are kind of long. Examples of this are for example Rizzoli & Isles and Covert Affairs, both with 16 episode seasons this year. Are they longer short seasons or shorter long seasons? I guess one just has to draw the line somewhere, and live with the outcome.

In my mind what should be considered when making the decision is also when the show airs and if it's on cable or a network. If a show starts airing its season in the autumn, has a autumn and spring schedule with a winter break in between and airs on a network, it's clearly a long form show, regardless how many episodes it has. Rarely though does a season of this type have less than 20 episodes, so one never really has to think about weather a show of, say, six autumn episodes and six spring episodes is a long or short form show. And rarely does a cable show fit this profile, in most cases a cable season is 10-13 episodes. Walking Dead does this with its 8+8 autumn-spring combo, but I would still consider it a "short form" show which is just extended from a typical 10-13 episode cable season to 16 episodes because of popular demand.

A show beginning in the summer should on the other hand be considered "short form" regardless of how many episodes it has. I have no rational reason for thinking that summer shows are any different from the ones airing during the school year, but they just feel different. However, they rarely push past 16 episodes per season, so one never really has to think about weather a summer show is long or short form. Most of them are like cable shows, 10-13 episodes. If they are a little longer, they are still short form in my mind (like Rizzoli & Isles and Cover Affairs). Burn Notice could be an exception to that. 18 episodes is quite something for a so called summer show, so I guess it could be seen as having a "long form" season.

[What is happening, why am I writing this much? Got to lay off the alcohol for a while...and also: I do consider Smash a "short form" season; it only aired during the spring for 15 evenings, and therefore felt like a slightly extended short season.]
More +
Flag
Staff
Can't wait...on;y a week away.
Flag
house allways house
Flag
I love this idea. It would be an awesome category to have and I think if it really existed more networks would see the wisdom of moving to shorter seasons...
Flag
Am I missing something? No Homeland, no The Newsroom, no Mad Men, no Rectify, House of Cards, or Orange is the New Black?
Flag
Read the title of the article!! This poll is for anything over 18 episodes a season!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members