Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Over the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already worked our way through most of the comedy categories, having revealed our selections for Supporting ActressSupporting ActorLead Actress, and Lead Actor—so all that's left to discuss before we move on to drama are the shows themselves!

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY ENLISTED: Enlisted is ridiculous. It's a show where, in any given episode, characters might recreate a stage from the Donkey Kong, square off against poo guns, or deal with a commanding officer who wants Annie Lebovitz-esque photos of himself. All of it's funny in a madcap way that could likely satisfy on most other shows, a sort of early M*A*S*H for the contemporary sitcom audience. What elevates Enlisted for me is its eagerness to tackle Army-related drama without sacrificing the humor, something that later M*A*S*H sometimes struggled with. Episodes like "Pete's Airstream" dealing with PTSD and "Vets" dealing with other repercussions of war find comedy in the grief while never diminishing the actual grief. It's a tricky balancing act, but it's one that Enlisted manages to pull off, and with real panache... sort of like its characters' ability to find a moment of victory in sweeping up horse poop. — Noel Kirkpatrick

WHY SILICON VALLEY: My response to most network comedies is a resounding "NO THANKS." Cable, which is already home to television's best dramas, has been making big strides over the last few seasons to catch up on the comedy side of the spectrum, and in short order has left broadcast sitcoms in the dust. Meanwhile, HBO has finally figured out how to do funny, and Mike Judge's Silicon Valley—to borrow an oft-used phrase from the tech world it satirizes—killed it in its first season. The show bounces between biting, smart parody of an industry that's begging to be mocked and epic dick jokes that satisfy the sophomore in all of us. Like its Sunday-night schedule partner Veep, the show tells serialized stories that we need more of in comedies, and the jokes start with an amazing cast, led by Thomas Middleditch's breakout performance. It's utterly ridiculous and incredibly funny. — Tim Surette

What shows would YOU nominate for Outstanding Comedy Series?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/20/2015

Season 67 : Episode 1

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Louie- FX
Veep- HBO
Orange is the New Black- Netflix
Sillicon Valley- HBO
Enlisted- FOX
Parks & Rec.- NBC

Flag
Re-watch the David Lynch arc of Louie, if you are still an idiot and think Modern Family or BBT deserve anything. Then again, stupid is.
Flag
And not a single New Girl mention, it's quality dropped oh so much this season.
Flag
As I want OITNB to win all the awards I'm going to ignore the fact that Netflix thinks its a comedy, because it's clearly not.
Flag
Sirens
Silicon Valley
Episodes
Ground Floor
The Crazy Ones
Enlisted
Flag
The Middle
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Enlisted (RIP)
Trophy Wife (RIP)
The Big Bang Theory
Parks and Recreation
Flag
Orange is the New Black
The Mindy Project
Parks and Rec
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Silicon Valley
Modern Family

I LMAO at Silicon Valley, but I'd be okay with pretty much anything off this list winning.
Flag
Veep, The Mindy Project, Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation, Community, Inside Amy Schumer
Flag
Silicon Valley, Community, The Middle, East Bound & Down, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Workaholics. Also I'm throwing in there Happy Endings even though it missed the cut off date by a month.
Flag
actually the only comedy that makes me laugh for real these days is modern family,... but haters gonma hate,...
Flag
I don't think Orange is the new black is (still) a comedy. I've only watched two episodes from this second season and it's more drama than I can handle.
Flag
It's a shame that Shameless must be included in the comedy category, but it would be even more shameful to exclude it from the nominations :P
so I'd say
Shamelesss, Veep, Big bang, Orange, Louie +another random.
Flag
For a comedy series to get a nomination, it has to be, first and foremost... funny. That's really all I care about.

Let's be real here: as a whole, season 4 of Louie wasn't really funny. Yes, it was weirdly interesting, but, compare to its previously seasons, the comedy was just not there... right until Pamela Adlon showed up, and, man oh man, she didn't just bring the funny, she brought the hilarious! Here's a lady who really should get a nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. As for the rest of Louie... bof. I'll check out anything C.K. does, but, if he tried to pull off something like 'Elevator' again, please try to at least make us laugh. That's all I'm asking for.

Review made me laugh. A lot.

Community
made me laugh.

Broad City
too.

Legit
... goddamn did that show made me laugh. FXX is going to regret letting Jim Jefferies go, just went it was about to go from very solid to straight-up great.

Shameless is funny as hell... but way too hardcore to be viewed as a simple comedy, which is why it will never win the Emmy for it. They should definitely give nominations to the casts, though - Emmy Rossum should have got one since last year.

Archer
and South Park were probably the funniest programs on television in 2013-2014, but they're probably going to try to get the Best Animation award, which, frankly, is really a stupid, short-sighted decision, but whatever...

Brooklyn Nine-Nine was funny; New Girl and The Mindy Project definitely had their moments.

Nothing on CBS was remotely funny. Seriously - Person of Interest had funnier moments than the whole of their sitcoms.

Lots of programs, when all is said and done... but, weirdly enough, it's still feel like not that much. Didn't we used to have more grand-A comedies on the air?
More+
Flag
FXX should change their f'in minds about 'Legit' or some other network should pick it up. It was brilliant its sophomore season and to get canceled after everything that show did to make it get better its second season is bullsh$t. The entire cast is gold.
Flag
Veep
Community
Looking
Parks and Recreation
Louie
Orange is the New Black

with Veep ultimately winning.
Flag
Louie
Review
Community
Silicon Valley
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Modern Family
Flag
More shameless emmy nods!!!
Flag
Archer, Community, Trophy Wife, and 3 others.
Flag
What is with you critics and your similar opinions around the board? It seems as though peer pressure forces you all to think alike, or you really do all like the same things. One would think critics would all have drastically different taste from one another, one bringing up things the other might scuff at and vice-versa, but these lists show the non-differing taste critics share. And I'm not sure I'd even count OITNB as a comedy either...

For me, it might infuriate people with two laugh-track CBS sitcoms, but the comedies I have enjoyed this year are HIMYM and Mom. The former I thought had a well-written finale that tied up the loose ends, and the latter was a breath of fresh air from all the crude humor and gags (mostly) and explored in a serious fashion people trying to get their lives back on track. It was a redemptive show.

Flag
Staff
I don't consider OITNB a comedy either, but Netflix does, and so we're treating it as such for these purposes.

I enjoyed Moms a good deal (Farris and Janney were both on my acting nominations) but it was basically it or The Middle for me, and I went with The Middle on a coin toss... JUST LIKE REAL EMMY VOTERS.
Flag
I think you'll actually find there's far more variety here than with actual Emmy voters. :)

I'd go Veep, Louie, Orange is the New Black, Broad City, Parks and Recreation, and Shameless (which really fits better in drama).
Flag
Emmy voters are made up of people who don't watch that much TV (working 12+ hour days will do that to you.)
With Oscars, you can watch all the nominees for a category in a long day. Not so much with TV... so people vote the shows they know. So Jim Parsons wins, even though his performance is largely one-note. I don't mean to suggest that he isn't giving a good performance, just that he isn't having to show the range he's undoubtedly capable of.

I kind of wish they'd break off separate categories for "broadcast" and "non-broadcast" performances.
Flag
I *love* that idea, even though it's unlikely to ever happen.
Flag
Shameless all the way!

Flag
Shameless deserves best comedy AND best drama.
Flag
The lack of Parks and Recreation love on this site is criminal. Tim's reaction to network sitcoms is the same thing that's killing off all of the good ones and letting crap like Big Bang Theory continue to grow in popularity. It's silly to discount a show simply due to what station it airs on. A show does not need to be able to have jerk-off jokes in order for it to be funny. Shows like Enlisted, P&R, Community, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine prove that.

All that aside, the best comedy this year was obviously Rick and Morty though like most people, I guess we are ignoring animated shows when we talk about 'Outstanding Comedy Series.'
Flag
Staff
Fun fact about Emmy rules: If an animated show, like Ricky and Morty submit in Outstanding Comedy Series category, you cannot submit in Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour) category (the reverse is also true), where you will have a slightly better chance of winning.
Flag
That seems fair... but can it go both ways? Could Community win in the animated category for G.I. Jeff?
Archer would totally win for best comedy, if they hadn't stopped "phrasing".
Flag
Staff
Excellent question! Here's why "G.I. Jeff" gets to skate by on that front: The nominating ballot for Animation reads "For a single episode of a series or for a special." So "G.I. Jeff was likely submitted as a "special" as opposed to a regular episode, allowing it to be nominated in both places.
Flag
This is obnoxious that it's a rule in the first place (keeps animated shows in their own little ghetto), but also ingenious on the parts of the Community producers that they were able to get around it.
Flag
Staff
"it" being Community, not "G.I. Jeff."
Flag
what about episodes. I like it a lot
Flag
Damn you are correct. How could anyone forgot about the great season they just had.. Oh that's right they don't know 'Episodes' exists around here. It was so f'n hilarious this season. LeBlanc should at least get a nomination or Kathleen Rose Perkins for her hilarious turn as 'Carol Rance' this season. She's always been real good and very funny but this season was hers.
Flag
And yet again "it's always sunny in philidelphia" gets completely ignored by the industry!!
Flag
I don't think "five critics on tv.com" is equivalent to "the industry." No offense to them.
Flag
The Best this Year:

'Shameless' Showtime TIME HAS COME! TIME HAS COME! TIME HAS COME! Best season, best ratings in show history - time to reward this show and its creators and cast and pretend its just a comedy.

'Key and Peele' Comedy Central

'Louie' FX

'Legit' FXX Show put together a second season that improved on its first and really gave this show's lead Jim Jefferies the opportunity to show how good he and this ensemble that they put together for this show really were. Jim Jefferies, Dan Bakkedahl, D.J. Qualls, Mindy Sterling, and John Ratzenburger were the best ensemble in any comedy that aired this year. They worked together 2 years and in its second season appeared they had been together for much much longer. A true ensemble with a great lead playing a character that we loved watching make mistakes. Best addition to cast for a few was George Lazenby, my favorite James Bond, as Jim's dad. Gift from network for pulling this off and making the show better - cancellation. ???

'Veep' HBO

'Wilfred' FX

HM: 'Archer: Vice', 'Kroll Show', 'Californication' (Which has been quite excellent in its final two years.) and "Nurse Jackie' which continues to find deeper holes for Edie Falco's Nurse to dig herself into. Miss the hell out of Eve Best but it has done fine without her.

More+
Flag
Comedies:
Orange is the New Black
Shameless (US)
Louie
Review
Silicon Valley
The Goldbergs
Flag
Enlisted!!!!
Flag
I usually prefer dramas over comedies. But, the comedies I did actually enjoy this past season were Veep, Awkward, Faking It and Modern Family.
Flag
My picks for best Comedy Series are:

Orange Is the New Black
Shameless
Wilfred
Workaholics
Modern Family
Silicon Valley
Parks and Recreation

Other honorable mentions: Community, Californication and Inside No. 9

Flag
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Modern Family, Community, Veep, Louie, Trophy Wife
Flag
Enlisted, Brooklyn 99, The Mindy Project. That these are all on FOX is a mere coincidence.

Enlisted and B99 are similar - both are 'workplace' comedies, and feature a strong ensemble cast that has tended to be better than its goofy man-child lead actor. They also have a clear voice and identity for what is essentially their freshman season. Too bad FOX has decided not to renew Enlisted.
Flag
It seems TV.com shares one thing with The Emmys, the criminal under-appreciation of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Their parody of the fact they never get nominated for Emmys (or any awards) was an especially hilarious episode, totally ripping into the standard comedies on TV.

Don't get me wrong these are better but seriously the show is a brilliant comedy, you just need to watch a few and get into it for maximum payoff (true of all comedies and realistically all TV shows).
Flag
Staff
Kaitlin Olson was in my dream nominees for Supporting Actress. But this was a tough year with the addition of Shameless to comedies, Silicon Valley and Enlisted as new series, and I know that if I didn't recognize Looking no one else would. It's Always Sunny continues to delight, though.
Flag
Brilliant? Seriously? The first 3 seasons were funny, the 4th was lame, 5th was good again, and then it's been a steady decline ever since. While I love the first three seasons, they were far from brilliant. LET'S ALL YELL OVER EACH OTHER AND IT'LL BE CONSIDERED GENIUS!!!!!!
Flag
I don't understand the whole yelling argument, it is most commonly said by those that don't watch the show or have only seen a couple of episodes. This is clearly not the case for you, each to their own but yes for me it is brilliant and is up there with my favourite comedies of all time. Not least of all because the stars are the writers and that shows.

All the yelling doesn't matter when the parody or satire is great, I agree it hasn't maintained it's level of the first few seasons but few shows do and it still regularly makes me laugh a lot. The most recent season I thought was a real return to form after the previous being one of the less brilliant. But yea I do love the show and do think it is brilliant.
Flag
Comedy Series -
Enlisted
Hello Ladies
Orange Is The New Black
Parks and Rec
Silicon Valley
Veep
Flag
I really don't get Veep, it's cringing at best, pathetic most of the time, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is ok i guess, she is just there, I don't really see all the fuzz... But I didn't get Modern Family either, or Arrested Development, I don't like "comedy" shows where there is no likable characters, where people are just plain horrible, I just wan't to slap them, I feel like Louie watching real people in real life, I find it oppressive and annoying, it get me angry, so I just can't watch.

But I love sitcoms I have to say, there I can laugh, The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, Mom, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, or shows like Louie, Portlandia, even Girls is way funnier in a non-funny real life pathetic people way. Yeah, whatever, I don't like Veep.
Flag
Booooo you.
Flag
I found that Mom was a very good comedy. OITNB is also good. I don't watch most of the others, so no list for me.
Flag
Archer
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Franklin and Bash
Louie
Orange is the New Black
The Wrong Mans
Flag
Wait a sec. Is Franklin and Bash supposed to be a comedy.
Flag
Louie, and The Mindy Project. Comedies were shit this year.
Flag
You are correct.

Louie and Veep, that is all.

Big Bang Theory and Modern Family, shit shows both, will win everything.
Flag
Veep, Louie, Parks and Rec, Broad City, Orange is the New Black, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Flag
Enlisted, don't get me wrong I enjoy it very much. "Outstanding Comedy Series" is a tough sell for me. Hill Bros are great and the Cadets are hilarious. I just don't know about it.

Silicon Valley, another good comedy. I was iffy on it at first. The cast is very funny (they are comedians so of course they are). Maybe.

I thought Trophy Wife and Back in the Game were great shows. The Millers scene with the parents breaking up had me laughing out loud, The Crazy Ones scene with Robin Williams and SMG. Robin pushes on the elevator trying to get her to go on a vacation and saying "Have I ever you down?" and just she gives a look and he replies " Oh your mother." Just so perfect. Everything about it. Even Mom had a great joke taking a shot Religion about wanting her baby raised by homosexuals than religious nut jobs.

And of course TBBT and MF have won awards so they're overrated and internet people hate that.
Flag
The Mindy Project.
Flag
Veep

Brooklyn 99

Parks And Recreation

The Mindy Project

Modern Family

The Big Bang Theory
Flag
None of the above
The winner should be Sheldon Copper from the big bang
Flag
Staff
I enjoy The Big Bang Theory, but it doesn't need anyone's love for Emmys.
Flag
How so many people can still like that sh*t? Unbelievable
Flag
Because it's about the stories and characters and not about the "gags"? It's actually usually a sign of a bad sitcom when the characters personalities cannot carry a show and have to load them down with gags or shock humor, no matter how sophisticated the show. Big Bang is about relationships, between the roommates (Lenard, Sheldon, Penny, Howard, Raj, ect.) and the natural humor that arises from them. If you watch enough you will see that characters have grown since the first season, which I think all the haters base their opinions off of. Lenard has grown from being a "nerd" to dating the woman who was once out of everyone's league, and becoming more the "straight man," Raj has more confidence with women, Howard has gained independence, and even Sheldon has shown growth. It's funny because all of the haters who criticize the show all think things like LolCats are funny, while criticizing the show's humor...
Flag
Isn't it?
Flag
How many people really like the sh*t listed above
I really don't get American sense of humorx
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I don't get how so many people actually think shows with laugh tracks or live audience laughs are funny, they're basically forcing you to also laugh at that exact moment.
Flag
I really tried to force myself to even just smile
on all the show mention above but nothing came out I cant believe this show are even considered as a comedy
Flag
I meam humor
Flag
Follow this Show
Members