Sunday 8:00 PM on CBS

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already conquered the comedy categories, revealing our selections for Supporting ActressSupporting ActorLead ActressLead Actor, and Comedy Series. Yesterday, we highlighted the talented Supporting Actresses of Drama, and today we're moving on to their male counterparts, generally the toughest race of the Emmy Awards.

Editors' Note: You may notice that some of our nominees don't match up with the official Emmy ballots. That's not a mistake; we've taken a few liberties because we're only "dreaming" about the 10 "major" categories, and we didn't want to leave out deserving performers based simply on their submission strategies and our coverage plans. In some cases you may see folks from the miniseries and guest-star races in our lead and supporting wish lists.

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY JOSH CHARLES: Knowing that Josh Charles was leaving the show, the writers and producers of The Good Wife crafted a hell of a swan song for him (and for the character of Will Gardner), a capstone to a five-year performance that has somehow only netted him one Emmy nomination to date. Throughout Season 5, Charles dug deep into Will, finding intense vulnerability and anger (hello "Decision Tree"!) in Will's hurt and rage at Alicia's defection, while never making him seem like the bad guy. While the Emmy is technically only awarded for an actor's performance in a single episode, a win here would feel like well-deserved recognition for those five years of soulful eyes, cockiness without annoying arrogance, and the deadpan humor Charles would break at just the right second by unleashing a rakish smirk. — Noel Kirkpatrick

WHY DYLAN O'BRIEN: When Teen Wolf called for a darker version of Stiles Stilinski in Season 3B, Dylan O'Brien fearlessly rose to the occasion, having already quietly usurped the position of series lead from his co-star Tyler Posey with his fan-favorite performance. Stiles is a character who's known for his sarcasm, wit, and humor, and most people don't think of him as a dramatic figure, but O'Brien's work as the character dealt with some issues showcased his range as an actor, pointedly drawing our attention to the fact that his talents go way beyond perfectly delivered quips and sarcastic remarks. No longer just a sidekick, O'Brien seamlessly oscillated between the spastic but lovable Stiles, a character who couldn't sit still if his life depended on it, and the subtler and more calculated movements of the evil nogitsune who took his form. He carried much of the weight in Teen Wolf's third season, and it'd be a shame for the Emmys to ignore his performance simply because he stars on a supernatural drama on MTV. — Kaitlin Thomas

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actor in a Drama?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/18/2016

Season 68 : Episode 0

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jeffrey Wright (Boardwalk Empire)
Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
Peter Dinklage (GoT)
Johnny Ray Gill (Rectify)
Michael K. Williams (Broadwalk Empire)
Dylan O' Brien (Teen Wolf)
Flag
I like the recognition of Michael Kelly. But all in all, I'd say that Peter Dinklage or Dean Norris deserve it. Peter for the amazing work he did in the latter half of this season. Dean because he managed to steal a few scenes from Bryan Cranston which is a huge feat.
Flag
Paul, period!
Flag
Tough choices here. I think either Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones), Walton Goggins (Justified) or Luke Mitchell (The Tomorrow People).

Why those last two ? Even though I didn't like Justified's last season and I thought The Tomorrow People pretty much ran itself into a wall, I think those two actors were still really entertaining to watch. For a teen show, Luke Mitchell was really good at playing a guy marred with many moral qualms (unlike TVP or PLL stars). It's too bad that the writing of that particular show wasn't up to par with his talented interpretation of the role.
Flag
Peter Dinklegh should win every time is on screen he is astonding
Flag
i can only think about one person: MADS MIKKELSEN?! DUH [if you consider him as supporting actor of course]
Flag
Staff
He submitted himself as a lead!
Flag
Josh Charles! Pedro Pascal! Luke Mitchell!
All of them so good. Nice choices.
Flag
Josh Charles should really get nominated at least and recognized for the good job he done for 5 years.

• Josh Charles (TGW)
  • Peter Dinklage (GoT)
  • Michael K Williams (Boardwalk Empire)
  • Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
  • Walton Goggins (Justified)
  • Michael Kelly (House of Cards)
  • Joseph Sikora (POWER)
Flag
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Tim Surette's list too! I don't always see eye to eye with his reviews but we can agree here:-)
Flag
Lets see???

1. Blake Ritson - 'DaVinci's Demons' - (Girolamo Riario) - I could probably watch him and Tom Riley (Leonardo DaVincii) play checkers together and it would be awesome.
2. Torrence Coombs - 'Reign' - (Sebastian 'Bash' DePoitiers)
3. Matthew Lillard - 'The Bridge' - (Daniel Frye) For the problems that 'The Bridge' had throughout its first season run what always stood out as the best part was the work done by Lillard in the great part he got to inhabit. Best work I've ever seen from him.
4. Seth Gable - 'Salem' - (Cotton Mather) - Again, this is the best work in the best role Seth Gable has ever been given. Poor Mariana....
5. John Slattery - 'Mad Men' - (Roger Sterling) As 'Mad Men' jumped back to first season excellence Slattery's 'Roger' has been given a lot to do and has been his usual excellent self in each performance.
6. Ron Perlman - 'Sons of Anarchy' - (Clarence 'Clay' Morrow)
There are too many great ones -

If they could pick 7 = 7. Zach McGowan - 'Black Sails' - (Captain Charles Vane) Who would have thought 'Jodi' - (Shameless) would be the best pirate!?!?

Best Supporting Actor in a Show that is otherwise a complete mess: James Purefoy - 'The Following' - Joe 'The Beard' Carroll

HM: Manu Bennett - 'Arrow' - (Slade Wilson/Deathstroke) - As 'Arrow' moved past its first season to become appointment television in its second - it was due largely in part because of Manu Bennett and his great performance in ill-fitting suits, Noah Emmerich - 'The Americans' - Stan Beeman, Hoon Lee - 'Banshee' - Job, take your pick from 'Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage ('Tyrion Lannister'), Charles Dance ('Tywin Lannister), and of course Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) (Rory McCann did not submit his name but how great was Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane this season?) too tough to pick one because they were all phenomenally good this season, Bailey Chase - 'Longmire' - 'Branch Connally' Last season through this season Chase (my lone Whedonverse submission this year) has done a superb job. Branch has had a great story and Bailey Chase has been fun to watch. And finally Jon Voight - 'Ray Donovan' (Mickey Donovan) He hasn't had a role this good on TV since his days on '24'
More+
Flag
Peter Sarsgaard is a good one - he was excellent in The Killing.

And then I'm going to take two others that have no chances at all:

Aidan Quinn
Jordan Gavaris
Flag
Staff
Jordan Gavaris definitely deserves some Emmy love.
Flag
I know that no one from The 100 submitted themself for nomination, but Isaiah Washington deserves this award so much
Flag
Agreed. But who would vote for the poor dude, great actor who has had to pay for a mistake he made on a set years ago that was blown sooooo far out of proportion and out of context?
Flag
What, no love for Charles Dance. That guy deserves some recognition for playing Tywin.
Flag
Are you sure Breaking Bad actors aren't running on the comedy category? Perhaps musical? Or miniseries? You know, anything is possible these days.
Flag
In no order:

Jeffrey Wright (Boardwalk Empire)
Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
Colin Hanks (Fargo)
Charles Dance (GoT)
Peter Dinklage (GoT)

Flag
The Fargo actors are in the miniseries categories.
Flag
It's confusing how they have that. True Detective isn't, but Fargo is? Anyway, if that's case, swap Hanks out for Michael K. Williams or Michael Shannon from Boardwalk Empire.
Flag
Tim Surette's list- Perfect. Every choice for nomination, be it from breaking bad, homeland, and ESPECIALLY game of thrones. Pedro Pascal deserves recognition for his great performance. And whoever has Peter Dinklage in the list, he feels WAY more than a supporting actor.
Flag
Agreed. If Dinklage is a supporting actor on GoT. Then who is the lead actor? Not sure who has more screen time than him.
Flag
Game of Thrones has no lead. Every character gets like five minutes of screen time because they have to fit such a vast landscape with such a massive cast into 60 minutes each week. Peter Dinklage wasn't even in the finale until the last 10 minutes.
Flag
There's no lead in GoT - way too many storylines, characters and settings to expect one main guy to be the focal point of it all.
Flag
I don't think Peter Dinklage should get nominated. They should just give him his own Emmy for just being f'ing brilliant. Then you have a slot open for someone else like say Hoon Lee from Banshee.
Flag
Go 'Job'!!!! Hoon Lee should get one for his show-stopper in the finale alone performing 'Sylvester James epic disco classic 'You Make Me Feel' (Mighty Rea)l'.
Flag
Kaitlin Thomas for the win--Dylan O'Brien made the second half of Teen Wolf's third season, and he absolutely deserves some credit for playing two characters with such subtlety and confidence. Naturally, the Emmys, in their stuffy ways, will never give him the nod, but it's good to see that at least someone knows he deserves it.
Flag
I never understood why the Emmy's was based on single episodes rather than a whole season. Isn't that what sets appart TVshows/Miniseries from the movies? The ability to carry out your acting/writing performance for a full season rather than an an hour and a half? So therefore shouldn't you be judged accordingly? That's how the viewers do it.

I'm guessing its just to make it easier on the pertitioning of shows and the judges who would only watch the epsidoes that were petitioned. Which just makes this stuff even more bogus.
Flag
And while s.f./fantasy drama shows get short shrift if they don't have "Game of Thrones" in the title, I'd put up Mark Sheppard for Supernatural. This year was really a tour de force for him.

Not sure if Michael Emerson is a lead or not on Person of Interest.

Silas Weir Mitchell on Grimm also comes to mind.

John Noble for Sleepy Hollow. (And Tom Mison better damn well get the nod for Lead Actor.)
Flag
Silas Weir Mitchell is on the list but not Mark Sheppard who agreed was awesome this year.
Flag
Michael Emerson is on the ballot as a lead actor.
Flag
I guess. I'm not sure PoI has a lead (kinda like GoT), but if it was anyone, it would be Emerson. Even Caviezel was on the back burner much of this year.
Flag
I would consider both of them leads, and all the others supporting.
Flag
I'm sure the Emmys do. And technically they are. But this year it was more of a ensemble.

And lord knows, enough fans complained that Reese took a back burner to Root and Sam.
Flag
Staff
How did I forget John Noble? Oh man. Now I need to redo my entire ballot.
Flag
No love for Dean Norris Under the Dome?
Flag
Loving all the Dylan support! Wish people would take the show seriously; it really is phenomenal television.
Flag
Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Laurence Fishbourne (Hannibal)
Walton Goggins (Justified)

Guest stars:
Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones)
Raul Esparza (Hannibal)
Robert Morse (Mad Men)
Ben Feldman (Mad Men)
Pablo Schreiber (SVU)
Beau Bridges (Masters of Sex)
Flag
I would like to nominate Germany's Thomas Müller and Brazil's Fred.
Flag
Straight up Dylan O'Brien should be nominated, as you pointed out the range he displayed this season was exemplary, in 'Letharia Vulpina' alone he demonstrated how good an actor he is, one 10 second clip towards the end of the episode showed how just the slightest change in his facial expression represented the split persona he was trying to portray. Just as Teen Wolf is underrated, so to is Dylan O'Brien.
Flag
This is one of my favorite comments regarding anything teen wolf ever. The show is wrongly written off, and due to this talents like O'Brien aren't taken seriously. The range he displayed in playing both the second in command good guy and also the big bad couldn't be matched by anyone on television this year. His quick switch to the nogitsune in Letharia was not only my favorite scene of the series, and one that I've watched countless times, but it is in my opinion a clinic on acting. For anyone that has any doubts about O'Brien's talents, please just watch this, you won't regret it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQXcdWFMBM

also this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYEPuK-oAo
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
What about Dean Norris for Under The Dome?
Flag
Under the Dome is in the race for Best Comedy.
Flag
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series -
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Jordan Gavaris (Orphan Black)
Lev Gorn (The Americans)
John Slattery (Mad Men)

Guest Actor in a Drama Series -
Beau Bridges (Masters of Sex)
Raul Esparza (Hannibal)
Harry Hamlin (Mad Men)
Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones)
Ray Romano (Parenthood)
Costa Ronin (The Americans)
Flag
It's interesting to see that the staff picks are so similar. These are my picks:

Aaron Paul
Peter Dinklage
Dean Norris (for Breaking Bad, not Under the Dome, in case anyone is wondering, :D)
Charles Dance
Rory McCann (He's not on the ballot, but this is the dream nomination)
Josh Charles

Just off the list: Hoon Lee (BANSHEEEEEEEEEE), Bob Odenkirk, Walton Goggins, Mandy Patinkin, Pedro Pascal, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Matthew Lillard.

Mandy Patinkin should perhaps have won last year, but his character was pretty weird this year. A good actor needs good writing to look good. Walton Goggins, Bob Odenkirk and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau also play characters who had their best moments in earlier seasons. It's a shame that Bob Odenkirk didn't get nominated for one of them. Walton Goggins got nominated for one of them, as he should, but he lost to Aaron Paul who was the only one I thought was better that year.
Flag
Rory McCann was So F#$%ing Good this year. Such a gentleman to leave his name off the ballot. And damn right Hoon Lee!
Flag
Love your list!!!! Hoon Lee is fantastic!!!!!!
Flag
Walton Goggins, Noah Emmerich, and Jere Burns, yes.
I love Luke Mitchell, but I'm not sure his performance was Emmy worthy, despite him being the real star of the show (along with Mark Pellegrino, of course).
Flag
Jen has my picks nailed.
Flag
Kaitlin, I am soo glad you put Dylan on your list. I have long-since felt that Dylan was the best actor on the show from season 1 and season 3B showed proved that he is......the best....actor...on the show....period....hands down. When he was the nogitsune you could see it in his eyes, his face, his body, his walk, his speech, everything. He deserves a nod.
Flag
- Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)

- Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)

- Josh Charles (The Good Wife)

- Mandy Patinkin (Homeland)

- Jeff Perry (Scandal)

- Michael Kelly (House of Cards)
Flag
I was about to head down here once I read Tim's picks - then I continued on to Jen and Cory's and saw they put Noah Emmerich in there. And, boy, he does! My picks:
Aaron Paul
Jere Noah Emmerich
Dean Norris
Walton Goggins
Charles Dance
Jere Burns

Flag
Peter Dinklage, the guy is just phenomenal.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members