The Prisoner Forums

AMC (Mini-Series 2009)

Arrival/Harmony

Stitllams

[1]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 6
    Mixed feeling about this one.

I liked it enough to watch it again but in this day and age it seems a bit silly, it just isn't very believable although the memory thing and the way they have manipulated their minds does help.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Faeriemage

[2]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 7
    I very rarely say anything on the tv.com forums any more. But this gem of a post just begged for a response.

We live in a day when Anything is believable. Look at Fringe and FastForward. Look at Lost for heaven's sake. Lost, which was obviously a tangent from the original prisoner, was believed by millions of fans.

It is neither Special Effects nor story that make a story believable. It is whether or not we wish to believe. This story is easy to believe.

Really, how much control do we have over our lives. How much could any of us do in a similar situation. We "know" that we are right, and yet every person around us tells us we are wrong.

In a classic published work, a man stumbles upon a town peopled entirely by the blind. He spends the greater part of the story trying to convince them that he has sight, and that it is a better nature than being blind. Every piece of logic, every test he tries, fails. He is about to put his own eyes out and join the community when another man stumbles in, also able to see.

This is human nature. This is what the story of The Prisoner gives us. We are social creatures, few of whom are able to stand to our beliefs in the face of overwhelming opposition.

That is why the story is both plausible AND believable. We see in the protagonist ourselves. We see him struggle against truly overwhelming odds. His name taken away. His identity threatened. His every memory of home ridiculed as the ravings of a lunatic.

Stitllams

[3]Nov 16, 2009
    I have to concur with your comment, however I still personally find it still quite unbelievable except for the memory manipulation, most other shows don't seem to make me feel like that.

As to why, I cannot explain, it is just one of those things where you just feel if you were in that situation you would act quite a bit differently than them.
    For instance number 2 would be suffering from a severe beating by number 6, even if it did get him locked up, plus (probably because I have seen the original series), it seems obvious that the entire town is bugged and full of cameras, how else would they be able to see and hear everything.

TracySeck

[4]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 1
    @Faeriemage:

At risk of sounding silly, but which classic published work is that? Seems vaguely familiar somehow...

MarkoH01

[5]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 4

I can't stop thinking of how they will end the story. Will it be ending similar as the original (which I really like)? The storys seem to be a bit different and what bugs me most is the number two and his son plot which doesn't exist in the original. At the moment I have only one idea where this could lead to: mind control and the main character is under influence...bu I really hope it doesn't end that simple.

totalcrap23

[6]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 1
    This is an absolutely pointless show which is a disgrace to the original. Which is sad, because they have a nice cast which is wasted on this brainless rubbish.

Stitllams

[7]Nov 17, 2009
    Yes, I get the impression that the script writers had really good intentions, lots of ideas but that is where it ended, they couldn't quite progress any further, but did anyway, it is a pity too.