The Prisoner (UK) Forums

ITV (ended 1968)

Major Major Major ALERT

fastfilm

[1]May 4, 2006
    • level: 22
    OMG! Guess who's the new #6!!!The 8-episode “Prisoner” miniseries we heard about back in November is now a six-episode miniseries headlined by latter-day “Doctor Who” star Christopher Eccleston.

(from "Ain'tItCool.com)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lobomensch

[2]May 4, 2006
    • level: 51
    That still doesn't redeem it for me, being a "radical reinvention" and abandoning Portmeiron. Looks like they still have every intention of turning this into another watered-down, dumbed-down remake. McGoohan should be appalled with this.

fastfilm

[3]May 4, 2006
    I share your qualms. I was quoting AintitCool with my own Valley-esque expletive at the outset. 'Not opposed to Eccleston, it's just that no one will match McGoohan's snide intensity, so at least they chose an actor rather than a pretty boy.

GusF

[4]May 5, 2006
    • level: 38
    CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON?! If Patrick McGoohan was dead, he'd be spinning in his grave!

crazyrhythm

[5]May 6, 2006
    • level: 52
    Since he's not dead, can we assume he approves?

lobomensch

[6]May 6, 2006
    • level: 51
    What irked me even more than the choice of Eccleston was the wording of the release, about this being about themes of "paranoia" and "conspiracy". There was no real paranoia in this series; Number Six knew who was against him and learned to trust no one. No "conspiracy" either; he was being held there against his will, that was well-established. To me when I read that description, it reminded me so much of the NewSpeak that passes for media now; that anyone that dares question the powers in charge is called a "conspiracy nut," "heckler," etc. They would rather most people be dumb to the whole concept of the Prisoner originally, by trivializing it this way. Am pretty sure they will make out the Prisoner in this one to be some mentally unstable sociopath that is "deluded" and it's "all in his mind". Will pass on that.

GusF

[7]May 7, 2006
    • level: 38
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Since he's not dead, can we assume he approves?

Maybe he doesn't have much of a say.

AlbertBester

[8]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    Just to throw my hat into the ring. I do not aprove of re-makes, I do not belive for one minute that they can improve or expand apon this brilliant story by remaking it and it is just another lazy and synical way of trying to make money on a previosly tried idea.

There seems to be a culture of "No origional thought" that is taking over both the TV and movie industry. It is a very sad state of affairs indeed.

fastfilm

[9]Apr 21, 2007

Best example I can summon of a reason to remake: Sherlock Holmes franchise.

Once, we all considered Basil Rathbone to be untoppable. . . until Jeremy Brett.

It's not that I approve of a "Prisoner" remake so much as want the powers that be in the juggernaut of its remake to at least try to keep some verisimilitude to the original's high-minded precepts.

And if you've noticed, McGoohan has been doing voice parts for most of this past decade. Perhaps he has equal reasons to not be present, and also to earn the monies that his former series' licensing would garner.

Bevo100

[10]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 3
    Is this really going to happen?

lp45cdwoman

[11]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 1
    As THE PRISONER is very much of its time, very Sixties, I don't see the point in a remake of any kind. Any PRISONER film or short series will suffer in comparison. Some sequels or remakes come off very well: cases in point THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and CAPE FEAR. Some are misbegotten at best: cases in point THE AVENGERS and PSYCHO. However well cast and filmed, I can't hold much hope for a new PRISONER. Some films and TV series are perfect, the product of all the stars aligning in just the right way. Some films and TV series should be left alone.

fastfilm

[12]Oct 7, 2007

No fair citing "The Avengers" re-make movie for any comparison to anything, as it was one of the very worst films of all time. Ralph "watch me weep" Fiennes as a bon vivant Steed? Could any sane person have come up with this?

Did you like the "The Fugitive" re-make?