The Prisoner (UK) Forums

ITV (ended 1968)

Prisoner Remake

lobomensch

[1]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 51

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/4478168.stm

Frankly, I am pretty disgusted with this announcement.  It looks as though Patrick will have nothing to do with the new production, and the statements about not using Portmeiron and this being a "radical departure" from the original's focus sickened me.  Both the show's individuality and surreality will have been lost, homogenized into a corporate NewSpeak dumbed-down package -- talk about the ultimate irony!  Anyone else care to comment?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fastfilm

[2]Apr 30, 2006
    • level: 22

I only have 3 words for this travesty: "Avengers" movie re-make!

Puke-o-rama!

lobomensch

[3]Apr 30, 2006
    Totally agreed. Uma Thurman can't act her way out of a paper bag and Ralph Fiennes really wasted himself here, along with Sean Connery being a blithering idiot. It really makes me wonder what these "changes" are going to be. Is Rover going to become some CGI-made creature? Is the Village going to be in some warehouse basement? Are we going to have names instead of numbers? Am sure they will not run out of ways to screw this up.

fastfilm

[4]Apr 30, 2006
    Who, with even a globule of sanity, would ever cast Ralph"watch me suffer" Fiennes as a bon-vivant like John Steed? I give him particular blame for this fiasco, whereas virtually any non-intellectually-inclined actress, not just Thurman, could just have easily botched the Peel role as well.

fastfilm

[5]Apr 30, 2006
    Gad, I hope McGoohan is not so desparate for $ that this project was sold down the river...

lobomensch

[6]May 1, 2006
    I wondered that about the money, too, but that article seems to give the impression that it is no longer his property.
    I think Fiennes was the wrong choice, too, for Steed, though I don't really cast as much ire towards him as I do the people that cast and wrote this movie. Bad choices all around.

AccentCompanies

[7]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 2

The saddest part of the film is that the Executive Producer, Jerry Weintraub, as well as Fiennes and Thruman, were proud to proclaim loudly and often that they had not seen the original series with Macnee and Rigg so that they could make something ORIGINAL. Outhouses are full of comparable original stuff.

I should hope that a Prisoner remake would involve careful consultation and analysis of the original series. There is a rumor quoted somewhere in these forums that Christopher Eccleston is being considered for Number Six. Please say it ain't so.

Eccleston as Dr Who was tolerable since Dr Who has had so many different incarnations and variety is normal Dr Who fare. I have some
    difficulty with this.  The original show should be consulted for more personal interpretation of Number Six since Patrick
    McGoohan helped develop and write the character. Surely the rumor that
    Christopher Eccleston is cast as Number Six is merely the raving of a deranged
    mind.
    Edited on 06/10/2006 2:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

fastfilm

[8]Jun 17, 2006
    Eccleston at least has "intense," "sarcastic" and "intellectual" in his acting resume (CV.) That's the right direction for a #6.

pirategennie

[9]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    i can't even imagine a number six other than mcgoohan. but it had to happen. the question is, will it happen well (and give us all coronaries, since we expect otherwise) or will it fulfill its promise, and the promise of the times, and stink?

so let's be positive for a moment (yes, it's hard for me too) and think who we WOULD like to portray number six, number two, and even the butler!

(thinking)

(thinking)

(thinking)

it's still morning. my thinker is stuck. i can't draw names out of a hat so fast. i can't find my hat so fast. but i promise i'll come back with some names... if i can... feel free to do so in the interim, don't stand on ceremony, don't wait on my account....

g

pirategennie

[10]Sep 18, 2006
    p.s. this is the first i am hearing of this actually, so someone fill me in... is this a british remake or an american one? that could make a difference. could? HA! it would indeed!

g

bbagnall

[11]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 4
    It's no big deal if they don't use the original filming location. Frankly I think they should use a different setting and new stories, otherwise what is the point of remaking it if you are just going to copy the original?

I hope they at least consult with McGoohan, who is anti-statist, pro-individualist, so lets hope they keep those themes intact in the new series.

pirategennie

[12]Oct 14, 2006

bbagnall wrote:
    It's no big deal if they don't use the original filming location. Frankly I think they should use a different setting and new stories, otherwise what is the point of remaking it if you are just going to copy the original?

I hope they at least consult with McGoohan, who is anti-statist, pro-individualist, so lets hope they keep those themes intact in the new series.

one would hope!

but i'm not holding my breath.  there have been so many abysmal remakes, and movies such as the avengers, wild wild west and... i'm blanking but you know what i mean.  bad taste is rampant.  so yes it would be nice if they consulted mcgoohan, not just nice but vital.  people seem to skip vital things, though....

g

lobomensch

[13]Oct 18, 2006
    I totally disagree that it's not important if they use a different locale for this remake. The look of Portmeiron, with all of it's imported buildings, not only contributed to the look of the show but also it's emphasis that the Village was an international microcosm. As the cab driver told 6 in the pilot, "It's very cosmopolitan. You never know who you'll meet next." In taking that away, a good deal of the intrigue as to the whereabouts/possible "Masters" of the Village is lost.
    Edited on 10/18/2006 6:36am

pirategennie

[14]Oct 18, 2006

lobomensch wrote:
    I totally disagree that it's not important if they use a different locale for this remake. The look of Portmeiron, with all of it's imported buildings, not only contributed to the look of the show but also it's emphasis that the Village was an international microcosm. As the cab driver told 6 in the pilot, "It's very cosmopolitan. You never know who you'll meet next." In taking that away, a good deal of the intrigue as to the whereabouts/possible "Masters" of the Village is lost.

i am stumped; i don't know whether i agree with one or the other or someone/thing else.  i have stayed at portmerion and love the place and of course love the original the prisoner and its environs.  but i can't decide at this moment (maybe the flu it muddling me) whether a change would work or not.  i DO know that not all the buildings of portmerion, nor even most nor the most important of them, are imported.  from its own web page:

""Portmeirion was built in two stages: from 1925 to 1939 the site was ‘pegged-out’ and its most distinctive buildings were erected. From 1954-76 he filled in the details. The second period was typically classical or Palladian in style in contrast to the Arts and Crafts style of his earlier work. Several buildings were salvaged from demolition sites, giving rise to Clough’s description of the place as “a home for fallen buildings”. ""

small quibble, nothing to do with the argument, but there it is.  find more at http://www.portmeirion-village.com/en/village-pages.php?pages=61&sM_id=49.

g

hirschfanger

[15]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 14
    I don't think it should be a copy of the old show. It should be in the style defintely but having it in the exact same site isn't that important. Its much more important as to who is doing it (americans will butcher it). I think its more important as to what era it takes place in. Cold War? Modern era? McGoohan really should be advising. And if he was a Number 2 in one episode all the better.

A sort of british Lost is what it could possibly be if done right.

fastfilm

[16]Dec 19, 2006
    If only! It is VERY hard to get highly intelligent drama produced these days, here or UK.

fastfilm

[17]Jan 26, 2007

Has anyone any newer info about the remake, beyond the last press release of a limited series on cable that is, quote, different from the original, unquote?

I find myself referencing "pre-9/11" versus "post-9/11" espionage stories when talking or posting about the spy fiction genre (i.e. "Ronin" is an excellent pre-9/11 spy story, "24" is an excellent post-9/11 spy story), and wonder if that will be part of the update.

Actually, I'd love to watch a "Prisoner"-style surreal version of "24," as long as it wasn't called "The Prisoner."

fastfilm

[18]Mar 11, 2007
    Finally, a ray of hope throughout the dark storm of the remake: this week, TV Guide claimed that its producers were enlisting David and Janet Peoples, who wrote the script for "12 Monkeys."

6of1

[19]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    Greetings!

Well, we've all been watching this whole thing with a combination of anticipation and cynicism, haven't we??? And there's no question, that "The Avengers" film fiasco applied the brakes much harder than we'd imagined possible, eh?

Personally, my preference would've been that No. 6 be re-kidnapped and brought back to The Village again, after nearly 40 years of apparent "freedom" and discover that, all this time, they'd kept tabs on him, etc.

Of course, the anomalous final episode left the door wide open, interpretation-wise, anyway....if Our Man was, in fact, No. 1 in a literal sense, then he's got some 'splainin' to do, for sure. And if it was just an allegory, then....well, then it's REALLY wide open!!

Either way, I believe that Patrick McGoohan is the only one capable, qualified, and continuity-perfect to "replay" No. 6, and what a wonderful sequel that would be.....instead of a remake.

Who's with me??

TomHooligan2000

[20]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 4

Yes... thats a bloody brilliant idea. Re-cast Patrick MacGoohan in the role we all love him for, but instead of a spry thirty-something, we'll have him as a 70 year-old still wanting revenge on his former captors for his time of torment in the village. I haven't read what you wrote thoroughly, but i really hope you're taking the piss. Thats quite possibly the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. Who the hell would watch it for starters. Imagine it...

The adventures of No. 6: The Later years! Episode 8: Number six goes to the bathroom. In this thrilling episode, tension ensues when Number 6's cathater gets ripped by the village cat! Will he get to the phone in time to contact Number 2? Or will he slowly die in a pool of his own urine?

Please tell me you are having a laugh.