The Prisoner (UK) Forums

ITV (ended 1968)

Re-casting

GusF

[61]Sep 26, 2005
    • level: 38
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Sorry, its been a while.

No prob. Glad you're considering McCallum - Scotland's coolest person by miles.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

perrybw

[62]Oct 21, 2005
    • level: 4
    Up until the politically-incorrect release of "Passion Of The Christ," I thought Mel Gibson would make an interesting No.6. He has the smoldering part down, the humor down, the anger down, and he's old enough that you could believe he is retiring. But now he is busy making "Apocalypto."

Russell Crowe would be a good runner-up.

fastfilm

[63]Nov 9, 2005
    • level: 22
    Except, perrybw, this last week a film crew was shooting our house as a location, they saw our "Prisoner" dvds, and commented upon the spec remakes, and said the last they heard Mel Gibson actually was interested in redoing "The Prisoner" with himself as #6.

chris_stfc

[64]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 2
    Whilst all this talk about a reworking of The Prisoner is interesting it really says a lot about creativity these days, with 'remakes' and 'reworkings' of older classic movies and TV shows. It just seems to me that an original idea either gets completely flogged to death (reality shows being a HUGE case in point, and apocalyptic weather disasters currently) or just becomes some highly FX'd piece of garbage by people who cannot write or concieve of anything new. I hate to sound cynical but thats how I feel!!

fastfilm

[65]Nov 15, 2005
    While McGoohan is still with us to be Executive Producer with all possible control is when I want to see a "Prisoner" remake. Sometimes a remake is a good thing for contemporary audiences. My perennial example, though out of date is the following. Who would have thought anyone could surpass Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes? I sure didn't. Until I saw the Jeremy Brett series, (which as an update, could feature a few more unseemly intracies than the 1940's movies.) Brett co-rules with Basil. Both deserve that status.

overlordr1

[66]Nov 21, 2005
    • level: 5
    GusF wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Sorry, its been a while.

No prob. Glad you're considering McCallum - Scotland's coolest person by miles.

I thought Billy MacKenzie was officially Scotland's "Coolest Person By Miles", trailed slightly by Billy Connolly? Well I was a MacKenzie fan, so just thought I'd give him the posthumous plug. Moving on...

Seriously, I think he's probably too old now, but how about Laurence Fishburne for No. 6? I would also say Edward Woodward, but he's both too old AND too out of shape. Robbie Coltrane could be No. 2, as he wouldn't have to move around much. Looking at my reflection in the monitor I shouldn't talk, I suppose.

Having a new Prisoner done with input from one of its creators would be a nice tribute with the 40th anniversary on the way, so keep on posting any news.

fastfilm

[67]Nov 21, 2005
    overlord, I exalt you for finding our new #2 to re-cast the Leo McKern part: Edward Woodward. He would add a great new dimension: besides dry humor and intelligence, he can add a certain vicious violence that McGoohan himself is not entirely without... I still would love to see this remade with McGoohan's executive production intact.

GusF

[68]Nov 23, 2005
    fastfilm wrote:
    overlord, I exalt you for finding our new #2 to re-cast the Leo McKern part: Edward Woodward. He would add a great new dimension: besides dry humor and intelligence, he can add a certain vicious violence that McGoohan himself is not entirely without... I still would love to see this remade with McGoohan's executive production intact.

I agree. Edward Woodward would be an ideal choice.

crazyrhythm

[69]Nov 23, 2005
    • level: 52
    I see you folks are still hard at it.

fastfilm

[70]Nov 23, 2005
    crazyrhythm, even as we converse, mediocre minds in Hollywood are hard at work trying to turn "The Prisoner" into the actionmush of "Mission Impossible" remakes as new Flavorhunk of the week's own franchise. I hope against hope that there is a definable presence of McGoohan overseeing, educating, deleting and editing all that out. Better this be done while Master is still with us.

crazyrhythm

[71]Nov 23, 2005
    fastfilm wrote:
    crazyrhythm, even as we converse, mediocre minds in Hollywood are hard at work trying to turn "The Prisoner" into the actionmush of "Mission Impossible" remakes as new Flavorhunk of the week's own franchise. I hope against hope that there is a definable presence of McGoohan overseeing, educating, deleting and editing all that out. Better this be done while Master is still with us.

You know more about what's going on than I do. If Hollywood wants to turn this into a "Tom Cruise" type vehicle, I hope at the very least that McGoohan can stop them from using the title.

GusF

[72]Dec 16, 2005
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    fastfilm wrote:

You know more about what's going on than I do. If Hollywood wants to turn this into a "Tom Cruise" type vehicle, I hope at the very least that McGoohan can stop them from using the title.

You and me both.

fastfilm

[73]Dec 18, 2005
    I used to recommend "The Truman Show" to friends who were fellow Jim Carrey non-afficianados (too samey, predictable, Lewis-like for me) by noting it far more resembled "The Prisoner" than the Carey oeuvre. It's a Peter Weir film, after all, and he made you feel for the title character's incarceration in "paradise" with a feel that was clearly referential to "The Prisoner."

If a remake is a referential hybrid with similar intelligence behind it, I'm in.

GusF

[74]Dec 29, 2005
    Brian Blessed would make a great Number Two, especially if he was playing the Leo McKern Number Two. Personally, I think he'd be ideal. What does everyone else think?

crazyrhythm

[75]Dec 31, 2005
    Don't know him, Gus.

GusF

[76]Dec 31, 2005
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Don't know him, Gus.

Did you ever see "The Black Adder"? The first one, that is. He was King Richard IV. He was the voice of Boss Nass in Star Wars Episode I. Here's a photo.

Mad_Buck

[77]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 79
    GusF wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Don't know him, Gus.

Did you ever see "The Black Adder"? The first one, that is. He was King Richard IV. He was the voice of Boss Nass in Star Wars Episode I. Here's a photo.

And he played Augustus in I, Claudius.

crazyrhythm

[78]Dec 31, 2005
    He certainly looks the part, so I say add him to the list!

GusF

[79]Dec 31, 2005
    He's got a wonderful, deep and booming voice even better than McKern's as well.

GusF

[80]Dec 31, 2005
    I've got another suggestion, slightly more left wing: Ioan Gruffudd. He'd make a good Number Six or Number Two.