The Prisoner (UK) Forums

ITV (ended 1968)

Re-casting

  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [61]Sep 26, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Sorry, its been a while.

    No prob. Glad you're considering McCallum - Scotland's coolest person by miles.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of perrybw

    perrybw

    [62]Oct 21, 2005
    • member since: 07/01/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 30
    Up until the politically-incorrect release of "Passion Of The Christ," I thought Mel Gibson would make an interesting No.6. He has the smoldering part down, the humor down, the anger down, and he's old enough that you could believe he is retiring. But now he is busy making "Apocalypto."

    Russell Crowe would be a good runner-up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fastfilm

    fastfilm

    [63]Nov 9, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,952
    Except, perrybw, this last week a film crew was shooting our house as a location, they saw our "Prisoner" dvds, and commented upon the spec remakes, and said the last they heard Mel Gibson actually was interested in redoing "The Prisoner" with himself as #6.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris_stfc

    chris_stfc

    [64]Nov 13, 2005
    • member since: 10/12/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 2
    Whilst all this talk about a reworking of The Prisoner is interesting it really says a lot about creativity these days, with 'remakes' and 'reworkings' of older classic movies and TV shows. It just seems to me that an original idea either gets completely flogged to death (reality shows being a HUGE case in point, and apocalyptic weather disasters currently) or just becomes some highly FX'd piece of garbage by people who cannot write or concieve of anything new. I hate to sound cynical but thats how I feel!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fastfilm

    fastfilm

    [65]Nov 15, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,952
    While McGoohan is still with us to be Executive Producer with all possible control is when I want to see a "Prisoner" remake. Sometimes a remake is a good thing for contemporary audiences. My perennial example, though out of date is the following. Who would have thought anyone could surpass Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes? I sure didn't. Until I saw the Jeremy Brett series, (which as an update, could feature a few more unseemly intracies than the 1940's movies.) Brett co-rules with Basil. Both deserve that status.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of overlordr1

    overlordr1

    [66]Nov 21, 2005
    • member since: 07/05/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 197
    GusF wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Sorry, its been a while.

    No prob. Glad you're considering McCallum - Scotland's coolest person by miles.


    I thought Billy MacKenzie was officially Scotland's "Coolest Person By Miles", trailed slightly by Billy Connolly? Well I was a MacKenzie fan, so just thought I'd give him the posthumous plug. Moving on...

    Seriously, I think he's probably too old now, but how about Laurence Fishburne for No. 6? I would also say Edward Woodward, but he's both too old AND too out of shape. Robbie Coltrane could be No. 2, as he wouldn't have to move around much. Looking at my reflection in the monitor I shouldn't talk, I suppose.

    Having a new Prisoner done with input from one of its creators would be a nice tribute with the 40th anniversary on the way, so keep on posting any news.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fastfilm

    fastfilm

    [67]Nov 21, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,952
    overlord, I exalt you for finding our new #2 to re-cast the Leo McKern part: Edward Woodward. He would add a great new dimension: besides dry humor and intelligence, he can add a certain vicious violence that McGoohan himself is not entirely without... I still would love to see this remade with McGoohan's executive production intact.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [68]Nov 23, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    fastfilm wrote:
    overlord, I exalt you for finding our new #2 to re-cast the Leo McKern part: Edward Woodward. He would add a great new dimension: besides dry humor and intelligence, he can add a certain vicious violence that McGoohan himself is not entirely without... I still would love to see this remade with McGoohan's executive production intact.


    I agree. Edward Woodward would be an ideal choice.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crazyrhythm

    crazyrhythm

    [69]Nov 23, 2005
    • member since: 07/22/05
    • level: 52
    • rank: Guzzlefish
    • posts: 1,079
    I see you folks are still hard at it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fastfilm

    fastfilm

    [70]Nov 23, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,952
    crazyrhythm, even as we converse, mediocre minds in Hollywood are hard at work trying to turn "The Prisoner" into the actionmush of "Mission Impossible" remakes as new Flavorhunk of the week's own franchise. I hope against hope that there is a definable presence of McGoohan overseeing, educating, deleting and editing all that out. Better this be done while Master is still with us.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crazyrhythm

    crazyrhythm

    [71]Nov 23, 2005
    • member since: 07/22/05
    • level: 52
    • rank: Guzzlefish
    • posts: 1,079
    fastfilm wrote:
    crazyrhythm, even as we converse, mediocre minds in Hollywood are hard at work trying to turn "The Prisoner" into the actionmush of "Mission Impossible" remakes as new Flavorhunk of the week's own franchise. I hope against hope that there is a definable presence of McGoohan overseeing, educating, deleting and editing all that out. Better this be done while Master is still with us.

    You know more about what's going on than I do. If Hollywood wants to turn this into a "Tom Cruise" type vehicle, I hope at the very least that McGoohan can stop them from using the title.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [72]Dec 16, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    fastfilm wrote:
    crazyrhythm, even as we converse, mediocre minds in Hollywood are hard at work trying to turn "The Prisoner" into the actionmush of "Mission Impossible" remakes as new Flavorhunk of the week's own franchise. I hope against hope that there is a definable presence of McGoohan overseeing, educating, deleting and editing all that out. Better this be done while Master is still with us.

    You know more about what's going on than I do. If Hollywood wants to turn this into a "Tom Cruise" type vehicle, I hope at the very least that McGoohan can stop them from using the title.


    You and me both.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fastfilm

    fastfilm

    [73]Dec 18, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,952
    I used to recommend "The Truman Show" to friends who were fellow Jim Carrey non-afficianados (too samey, predictable, Lewis-like for me) by noting it far more resembled "The Prisoner" than the Carey oeuvre. It's a Peter Weir film, after all, and he made you feel for the title character's incarceration in "paradise" with a feel that was clearly referential to "The Prisoner."

    If a remake is a referential hybrid with similar intelligence behind it, I'm in.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [74]Dec 29, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    Brian Blessed would make a great Number Two, especially if he was playing the Leo McKern Number Two. Personally, I think he'd be ideal. What does everyone else think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crazyrhythm

    crazyrhythm

    [75]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 07/22/05
    • level: 52
    • rank: Guzzlefish
    • posts: 1,079
    Don't know him, Gus.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [76]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Don't know him, Gus.


    Did you ever see "The Black Adder"? The first one, that is. He was King Richard IV. He was the voice of Boss Nass in Star Wars Episode I. Here's a photo.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mad_Buck

    Mad_Buck

    [77]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 07/09/05
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 3,016
    GusF wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    Don't know him, Gus.


    Did you ever see "The Black Adder"? The first one, that is. He was King Richard IV. He was the voice of Boss Nass in Star Wars Episode I. Here's a photo.



    And he played Augustus in I, Claudius.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of crazyrhythm

    crazyrhythm

    [78]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 07/22/05
    • level: 52
    • rank: Guzzlefish
    • posts: 1,079
    He certainly looks the part, so I say add him to the list!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [79]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    He's got a wonderful, deep and booming voice even better than McKern's as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GusF

    GusF

    [80]Dec 31, 2005
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 38
    • rank: Squarepants
    • posts: 2,702
    I've got another suggestion, slightly more left wing: Ioan Gruffudd. He'd make a good Number Six or Number Two.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.