The Prisoner (UK) Forums

ITV (ended 1968)

watching

fastfilm

[1]Feb 2, 2006
    • level: 22
    I've been watching what dvds I own of this series. It is truly remarkable how well it holds up. I had been describing it to others in terms of "period piece" interest (solely because I, as someone who watched it originally broadcast, had the necessary overview of context) such as the pop art 60's art direction, the surrealism so beloved to artists at the time,the post-cold war paranoia, but hey, this was forward thinking, which of course makes it timeless. The constant intrusion of computers (which were NOT a factor in anyone's lives at the time); the unceasing surveillance; the constant conditioning; and the questioning of one's own ethics, morals and place in society (otherwise known as mid-life crisis.) Timeless, universal and brilliant. All it would require to ignite today's audiences would be some additional CGI graphics, and that's not saying much!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nel68

[2]Feb 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    Well, I didn't see it the first time around. I was born around the time it was being made.

When I watched it for the first time, back when I was a teenager, it didn't really seem dated at all. I think the fact that it was so stylized (is that a word? did I spell it right?) helped with that.

And I still love it now. So many programmes I remember with affection, but watching them again is disappointing. Not The Prisoner, though. It's still as absorbing as it was back in the 80's.

fastfilm

[3]Feb 4, 2006
    I want to add something about the music on "The Prisoner." I absolutely adore the slow, 3-note French Horn fanfare that plays when No. 6 is finally successful in a ploy outwitting a new No. 2, or others devoted to his downfall. It's like music underscoring a divine moment of clear knowledge. I want to hear this upon the moment of my eventual demise, that finally all is understood.

GusF

[4]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 38
    nel68 wrote:
    Well, I didn't see it the first time around.

Neither did I. In fact, I was born almost twenty years have it first premiered. With the exception of the occasional Cold War reference and the General, it has not dated a single iota.
    Edited on 03/16/2006 4:03pm

fastfilm

[5]Feb 6, 2006
    Even "The General" was "out of sync" and forward looking for the era: computers had their place in a handful of workplaces such as government and research, but I'll bet you 99.99% of the viewing audience of that era had never seen one in person.

GusF

[6]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 38
    fastfilm wrote:
    Even "The General" was "out of sync" and forward looking for the era: computers had their place in a handful of workplaces such as government and research, but I'll bet you 99.99% of the viewing audience of that era had never seen one in person.

That's true.