The Prisoner (UK)

Hammer into Anvil

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 10, 1967 on ITV

• An amusing revenge plot where number 6 decides to make number 2 pay for mistreating a fellow prisoner.

Each episode in this series deals with an aspect of individualism vs. collectivism. In this episode, we see number 6 go mano-a-mano with number 2 in a battle of wills. Number two has a henchman, number 14, in this episode, and in keeping with the usual wierdness of The Prisoner, they challenge each other in combat. This made me laugh, because combat involved wearing crash helmets and sweats while jumping on two trampolines with a pool of water in between. They bounce around a bit, jump up onto a ledge, then number 6 is about to drop number 14 into the pool when two dudes in crash helmets walk up, and for some reason number 2 decides not to dump him in the water. Didn't make much sense to me either, but it's so crazy I loved it.
  • Number six in control!

Finally, after being duped, tricked, and betrayed in most of the episodes,Number Six goes on the offensive. I was never a big fan of the actor who played Number 2 in this episode so to see him crack up was mildly satisfying. We get to really see how clever Number Six is and how using the inherant distrust that already exists in the village, he is able to make Number 2 look like a fool. Using absurd but effective methods to get under Number Two's skin , Number six is perceived as being a "Plant" meant to spy on the security of the village and its man in charge. Using this ploy he almost gets some information about who actually runs the village. A very clever story!
  • An exercise in paranoia - just brilliant.

I love Patrick Cargill in this one and Patrick McGoohan is, as usual, fantastic but the best thing for me is the recurring tune. At times it is hypnotic and the sheer unyielding willpower of Number Two to break Number Six is just magnetic. It can be critisised of course but you need to leave that in the bin and just enjoy the plot and become more and more drawn into the crazy dark world of The Prisoner. If you are thinking of watching this strange series, please bear in mind that it is an acquired taste but one well worth obtaining.
  • Number Six observes the new Number Two sadistically handling other \"villagers\", and decides that he going to psychologically break him (or hammer the hammer, as Number Two sees himself).

A wonderful study in how paranoia breeds self-destruction. Number Six deftly sets about leading Number Two down a false path of activities, causing the latter to distrust everyone and everything to the point of self-implosion. A very good episode showing The Prisoner\'s mental strength proactively instead of reactively.

\"The Prisoner\" was, in its day, the most costly per-episode show on television. Ironically, it wasn\'t well received by the public in the late 1960\'s...but in modern times its content and subject matter seem eerily parallel to everday life.

Some see in \"The Prisoner\" a deep parable of how we are all prisoners of ourselves; a number of people express that the show was a manifesto for responsible individualism and against the Communist or any State as your dictator.

Either way, you\'ll enjoy this episode wherein Number Six is told \"Du musst Amherst oder Hammer sein\" (Goethe) and that he will be \"hammered\" into compliance.