The Professionals Forums

ITV (ended 1983)

"That's enough of the 'old'!" quote

CynanRees

[1]Apr 17, 2006
    • level: 12
    Does anyone have any ideas about which episode the following quote comes from? Not to be confused with the "brave old bastard" quote.

This is from memory from at least 15 years ago, but I know I'm 90% right.

Bodie or Doyle, to Cowley: "Sir, you're a mean old bastard."
    Cowley: "That's enough of the 'old'!"

The series has just restarted on UK TV, and I'd like to record the quote. Thanks for any feedback.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pirategennie

[2]Sep 11, 2006
    • level: 10

I used to have a whole lot of episodes on videotape in NTSC.  Although the show hasn't been broadcast in the U.S., it was shown in Japan, where I lived for ten years, taping all the way (to paraphrase Bodie).  However, several upheavals later, I don't have these tapes any longer and I miss my Pros!  Does ANYONE know where/how/from whom to get NSTC formatted videotapes of any Pros episodes?

g

pirategennie

[3]Sep 11, 2006
    • level: 10
    Oops and to reply, seemingly to myself... I didn't realize that clicking NEW MESSAGE (I'm kind of a new messenger!) I would be usurping the subject of the existing post. Mmy post wasn't exactly responsive since I thought Ii was starting a brand new Pros topic. So... in response to the question posted by CynanRees, sorry, not a clue, though it sounds familiar! If I had all my old tapes I could look it up, but alas....

g

mermayd

[4]Oct 15, 2006
    • level: 19
    It's "brave" old bastard, I think. And is from an episode where Cowley impersonates a minister when some criminals are trying to kidnap him to trade for their brother who is in prison.

In the first series.

mermayd

[5]Oct 15, 2006
    I'll have a hunt through my DVDs and find it for you.

mermayd

[6]Oct 15, 2006
    It's in the episode summary after all that:
    http://www.tv.com/the-professionals/old-dog-with-new-tricks/episode/145644/summary.html

CynanRees

[7]Oct 22, 2006
    I appreciate your effort, Mermayd, but you've gone and found exactly the wrong quote.

If you'd read my first post in this thread properly: "NOT  to be confused with the 'brave old bastard' quote."

You see, I had just seen the episode with the "brave old bastard" quote, and it reminded me of "that's enough of the old". That's why I started this thread, and why I warned people who might mistakenly go looking for the wrong one.

CynanRees

[8]Oct 22, 2006
    PirateGennie, I doubt you'd find NTSC videos of an old English series. Wouldn't it be more straightforward to get the DVDs and watch them in a multi-region DVD-player or on your PC with DVD Region-Free?

mermayd

[9]Oct 23, 2006
    CynanRees wrote:
    I appreciate your effort, Mermayd, but you've gone and found exactly the wrong quote.

If you'd read my first post in this thread properly: "NOT  to be confused with the 'brave old bastard' quote."

You see, I had just seen the episode with the "brave old bastard" quote, and it reminded me of "that's enough of the old". That's why I started this thread, and why I warned people who might mistakenly go looking for the wrong one.

Well excuse me for trying to help you. I did post a link to the quote I thought it was, if you'd bothered to look at it and confirmed I would have found out, wouldn't I???

Then you could have cleared it up and I could have found the right quote for you. Now, I don't think I will.

trevmaripaul

[11]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 2
    I believe you are referring to the quote at the end of the episode "A need to know" when Doyle says "Permission to make an observation sir, you're a ruthless old bastard" which Cowley Replies "not so much of the old sonny"