The Proud Family Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2005)

How is this show racist? Give me a break...

p4poetic

[1]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 9
    I was reading some of the stupid, reviews on here and many people are complaining that its racist just because it revolves around a Black family LOL. That is so tiring to read and ridiculous. How many shows, cartoon or not, contain 99% white people -- but that's quite alright? But when Blacks have one it its 'racist'. LOL.

While I'm on the subject, some people even claim that BET; (Black Entertainment Television), is "racist". I guess Telemundo and Motown Records were racist too. Maybe if there were companies that wanted to play/sign Black/minority artists back than, they wouldnt have to make things like this! LOL

But regardless of that, whats wrong with just celebrating Black music? Black pride? Its like they dont want us to have something of our own, our own little 'thing' to relate to and enjoy. And on top of that, its NOT prejudice and that's what makes it exta annoying.

Why cant a show revolve around minorities without being accused of being "racist", especially when there are NO prejudice remarks about Whites whatsoever? When has The Proud Family ever said a racist remark? If I recall they even had an episode where Penny was sent back in time (the 60s) during the Civil Rights moment, and had to correct everything, right?

95% of the people you see on television are White anyway, thats what makes this so ironic. So those sitcoms onprime time, where everyone in town seems to be White (coughcoughFRIENDScoughcough), shouldnt those be labeled as racist aswell?

Is anyone else irratated with this aswell?
    Edited on 04/11/2006 6:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spaction3

[2]Jan 17, 2006
    • level: 28
    I agree with you, I have seen many simularites on shows with white people as well as animal people. I just think a lot of people are ignorant on views.

schyzofroggy

[3]Jan 20, 2006
    • level: 42
    *sighs* Those people are just ignorant

dnr928

[4]Jan 24, 2006
    • level: 11
    It just won't be right to add, say, Green Day on BLACK entertainment television! MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE would I understand Bloc Party or Yellowcard because they have a black member, but the channel of BET (which I'm focusing more on) spefically says

"African-American Hip-Hop and R & B"

raveniscool2

[5]Jan 24, 2006
    • level: 10
    a lot of people say this and i really want to understand what theyre thinkin cause proud family has all kinds of people!

Noteldnep

[6]Feb 21, 2006
    • level: 16
    I don't think this show is racist, but I DO think it's crappy.

o0olalao0o

[7]Feb 26, 2006
    • level: 7
    Well I sort of agree both ways. I mean, there's the "Negro College Fund" and "BET" but if there was ever a white version of either there'd be so much chaos. But yes considering the amount of "crackers" (not my word of choice, lol) on TV, I guess I can't really complain.

BUT NO. The Proud Family is not racist...they have Zoe no? They don't treat her any differently.

schyzofroggy

[8]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 42
    People have messed up ideas about what "racist" is . . . it pathetic

p4poetic

[9]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 9
    :
    Well I sort of agree both ways. I mean, there's the "Negro College Fund" and "BET" but if there was ever a white version of either there'd be so much chaos. But yes considering the amount of "crackers" (not my word of choice, lol) on TV, I guess I can't really complain.

True, but the reason why things like BET & Negro Fund exist is because of the absence of Black culture in the media. That's why if there was a White Television, it would get a lot of flack -- we already see White people in 90% of television anyway lol
    Edited on 04/10/2006 4:14pm

Sony931

[10]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 17
    p4poetic wrote:
    I was reading some of the stupid, reviews on here and many people are complaining that its racist just because it revolves around a Black family LOL. That is so tiring to read and ridiculous. How many shows, cartoon or not, contain 99% white people -- but that's quite alright? But when Blacks have one it its 'racist'. LOL.

While I'm on the subject, some people even claim that BET; (Black Entertainment Television), is "racist". I guess Telemundo and Motown Records were racist too. Maybe if there were companies that wanted to play/sign Black/minority artists back than, they wouldnt have to make things like this! LOL

But regardless of that, whats wrong with just celebrating Black music? Black pride? Its like they dont want us to have something of our own, our own little 'thing' to relate to and enjoy. And on top of that, its NOT prejudice and that's what makes it exta annoying.

Why cant a show revolve around minorities without being accused of being "racist", especially when there are NO prejudice remarks about Whites whatsoever? When has The Proud Family ever said a racist remark? If I recall they even had an episode where Penny was sent back in time (the 60s) during the Civil Rights moment, and had to correct everything, right?

95% of the people you see on television are White anyway, thats what makes this so ironic. So those sitcoms onprime time, where everyone in town seems to be White (coughcoughFRIENDScoughcough), shouldnt those be labeled as racist aswell?

I've not put anything about Blacks in a show that act like a racist and The Proud Family stinks because of what the style feels like it's a horrible place to live while we have to stick through raps and yet the show has morals it's still a horrid show even though this is a black show but there are no redemeptions about the color.

kitty_girl_123

[11]May 26, 2006
    • level: 33
    I hate the fact that this show was comsider 'racist'! When clarey there is stuff on tv that is racist. Maybe they thought it was because they said the n-word on one of the shows. But the reason why I don't like the show is because they say stupid things and the plot can be over done at times.

sweet883

[12]May 27, 2006
    • level: 11
    if people call this racist wouldnt they be calling every other show like one on one and half and half and all the other shows like that

Bob_Tucker

[13]May 29, 2006
    • level: 2
    This show is definately not racist!

SupaFresh208

[14]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 6
    just to add the show "Friends" is a group of 6 friends who live in new york. One problem with the show not one black person, I live in new york, and in the city not just the hoods, there are black people everywhere and spanish people. So technically if you want to call a show racist it would be friends. If the show was located in idaho, or seatlle maybe it wouldnt be.

tomatoes1990

[15]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 12
    p4poetic wrote:

well i think if people think the proud family is racist some people should think that other shows on the disney channel is racist like lizzie mcguire, tsl, hannah montana etc. there is at least 1 black person on those shows but they all revolve around a white family. and thats the same as the proud family it revovles around a black family but there is atleast one white person on the show(zoey) and some hispanics

and789

[16]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    disney channel is okay because they have a black with white friends, or a white with black friends

kitendoc

[17]Jun 28, 2006
    • level: 25
    Let me put it this way... THE PROUD FAMILY IS NOT RACIST!

vonxdutch

[18]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 3

of course its not! I mean hasnt anyone notices the Boulevardez family isnt black & neither is Zoey! I mean its not all black people and even if it was who cares?!

coolthang101

[19]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    I totally agree! This show is NOT racist!! And yeah there are sooo many shows with white ppl on it...and even though im white i think ppl should stop thinking of black shows as "racist" becuz there are so many white shows, but noo if someone makes a black people show then they think its "racist." ??? I think its wrong! Plus I think anyone (whoever-blacks,whites,hispanics,etc) can watch it!

RapaxGuardian

[20]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    coolthang101 wrote:
    I totally agree! This show is NOT racist!! And yeah there are sooo many shows with white ppl on it...and even though im white i think ppl should stop thinking of black shows as "racist" becuz there are so many white shows, but noo if someone makes a black people show then they think its "racist." ??? I think its wrong! Plus I think anyone (whoever-blacks,whites,hispanics,etc) can watch it!

Exactly!!
    But my only reason for disliking this show is the raps. Too much raps. But other than that, this show is great and NOT racist. Sheesh.