TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Proud Family Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2005)

How is this show racist? Give me a break...

kitendoc

[21]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 25
    Look at Fresh Prince. It has black people in there, but it isn't racist, not to be off-topic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JHodge32

[22]Aug 4, 2006
    • level: 3

Look at all the other Disney Channel Shows except That's So Raven, The main characters usually have an all-white family with maybe one black person through the series, I'm Black and I loved The Proud Family, but when we have a show that may feature only one main white person, its Racist? Thats stupid.

Thats why we are trying to break out on tv,Girlfriends, All of Us, One on One. Not to be racist but the mainly white media isn't and will unfortunately probably never be ready to have a 90% Black televison base.

Edited on 08/05/2006 9:20am
    Edited 2 total times.

Semaj86

[23]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    The Proud Family was not "racist", but it was stereotypical, and just simply focused too much on ethnicity. I have no problem with shows featuring Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc., but any that has to remind us constantly of its heritage is really no more special than a regular White show that doesn't, especially if that show in question fails to entertain its audience.

ac1983fan

[24]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think that the shows like the proud family and That's So Raven are, while not racist to white people, are more racist to African American people, since they almost all follow African American Stereotypes.

MeLnificant

[25]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 5
    i dont think the show is racsist. ppl might think jus becuz an all black family but look at all these other shows wit all these white ppl so should that b "rascist" but anywayz that is mi opinion

WingedAlchemist

[26]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 13
    RapaxGuardian wrote:
    coolthang101 wrote:
    I totally agree! This show is NOT racist!! And yeah there are sooo many shows with white ppl on it...and even though im white i think ppl should stop thinking of black shows as "racist" becuz there are so many white shows, but noo if someone makes a black people show then they think its "racist." ??? I think its wrong! Plus I think anyone (whoever-blacks,whites,hispanics,etc) can watch it!

Exactly!!
    But my only reason for disliking this show is the raps. Too much raps. But other than that, this show is great and NOT racist. Sheesh.

Another thing that probably gets to people is the mixed family of Penny Proud. THAT gets people the most.
    Maybe Trudy isn't as dark skinned as Oscar and Sugah Momma, but I am pretty sure that she's of a more Indian (As in India, NOT Native Americans) descent.

Only recently has the tv world decided to bring in families of mixed descent. In fact, in the world around us, that's still sort of taboo.

I was engaged to a Korean (I'm an american mutt, mostly German/Irish) And my family practically flipped!

the world sucks.

kenya85

[27]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 10

This show is multicultural to me. It had the Boulevardes family who were Spanish, The Chang's  who were Asian, Zoey, white. They even had a Middle Eastern family on an episode. People don't get the show because it has such a strong urban vibe. I guess that's why they consider it rasict.

SupaFresh208

[28]Oct 27, 2006
    • level: 6
    p4poetic wrote:
    :
    Well I sort of agree both ways. I mean, there's the "Negro College Fund" and "BET" but if there was ever a white version of either there'd be so much chaos. But yes considering the amount of "crackers" (not my word of choice, lol) on TV, I guess I can't really complain.

True, but the reason why things like BET & Negro Fund exist is because of the absence of Black culture in the media. That's why if there was a White Television, it would get a lot of flack -- we already see White people in 90% of television anyway lol

True they also exist to tell the truth and rewrite history one step at a time. If you journey back in time the first signs of man came from africa. Along with geometry, math, astrology, and among other things. They're is so much lost knowledge in america. Greeks discredited blacks the most. Whoa I hate to rant in short The Proud Family is not racist, nor is it a crappy show. It reminds me of BeBe Kids, but most if not all on this forum will say that movie sucked too NATURALLY

How is it that when there are so many white shows on tv with no black person(s) in it or influence in it its considered a great show? But notice that most black shows have to cater to the white need, in other words have at least 1-2 white characters in the show. In the proud family's case its multicultural and more or less right on with my friend. And to whom ever said Trudy is indian because of her complexure wow, or something to do with so many color tone's on the show, blacks come in many colors true story, that doesnt make her less black.
    Edited on 10/27/2006 10:48pm

JHodge32

[29]Oct 28, 2006
    • level: 3
    SupaFresh208 wrote:
    p4poetic wrote:
    :
    Well I sort of agree both ways. I mean, there's the "Negro College Fund" and "BET" but if there was ever a white version of either there'd be so much chaos. But yes considering the amount of "crackers" (not my word of choice, lol) on TV, I guess I can't really complain.

True, but the reason why things like BET & Negro Fund exist is because of the absence of Black culture in the media. That's why if there was a White Television, it would get a lot of flack -- we already see White people in 90% of television anyway lol

True they also exist to tell the truth and rewrite history one step at a time. If you journey back in time the first signs of man came from africa. Along with geometry, math, astrology, and among other things. They're is so much lost knowledge in america. Greeks discredited blacks the most. Whoa I hate to rant in short The Proud Family is not racist, nor is it a crappy show. It reminds me of BeBe Kids, but most if not all on this forum will say that movie sucked too NATURALLY

How is it that when there are so many white shows on tv with no black person(s) in it or influence in it its considered a great show? But notice that most black shows have to cater to the white need, in other words have at least 1-2 white characters in the show. In the proud family's case its multicultural and more or less right on with my friend. And to whom ever said Trudy is indian because of her complexure wow, or something to do with so many color tone's on the show, blacks come in many colors true story, that doesnt make her less black.

I Agree
    Here's an example. Martin Luther King Jr. had two dark-skinned African- American Parents and he came out way more light-skinned than me. I still veiw us as black.

LainiTiye

[30]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 16

I liked the Proud Family.  I'm not a racist.  Some of my favorite shows have white people in them.    J/K

But seriously in regards to the original posting... this is a topic that been explored twenty-times over.  We'll never get to a suitable or acceptable answer.  I don't think the Proud Family was a racist show just as I don't think a majority of any (predominantly) African-American sitcoms are racist.  (Let's just forget about The Hughleys - puh-leese).  But for some reason it doesn't settle well when there is a sitcom revealing the fruitage of a cast that's predominantly anything else other than white.  For some reason the shows are kicked over into the status of being a racist.  But as it has been mentioned...mor than 90% of the sitcoms that grace television are those aimed at white audiences and employing white cast members.

If wanting and supporting a show that demonstrates faces more reflective of my own makes me a racist - then so be it.  You can't please everyone.

Edited on 11/13/2006 1:31pm

dinomaniac867

[31]Dec 22, 2006
    • level: 4
    Well I in no means think this show is racist, but my History teacher was ranting for like an hour on how UBER racist the proud family was and somethings on spongebob and why he banned his kids from watching the proud family and spongebob and stuff like that....

tijania7

[32]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 11

growing up, i know i would've loved to have a cartoon like the proud family!!! (thanks to Bill Cosby we had Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, but i don't remember any others -please post some if you do)

in the majority of animated shows, there is one (maybe two) black characters (or other minority) and quite often they are not the characters you scream to "be" when playing w/friends.

for example:

Strawberry Shortcake... Orange Blossom

Rainbow Brite...Indigo (whoops, am I telling my age) (what about the black chick from Jem -and the Holograms LOL)

ok, how about the Rugrats... Susy

or Kim Possible.... Monique

(i never wanted to "be" Orange Blossom or Indigo, but i never let my friends no that)

in today's day and age, this shouldn't be a discussion, it should be understandable that there are various cultures and the media should reflect that for children. that's why i love shows like PF, and Dora (even though i'd rather take a hammer to the head) or even (there's a similar "debate" in the Cosby show forum about the "portrayal" of the black family on tv.)

I'd like to open this to all of tv.comers to see what other shows/characters we can list...

Edited on 09/30/2007 2:04pm

tijania7

[33]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 11

ok, thinking... i remember Panthro from the ThunderCats.

(i also remember: G.I. Joe, Transformers, the Smurfs, the Snorks, Fraggle Rock, and... Seasame Street.)

but how many black characters can i name off hand... hm.

Anyone else remember an minoritycharacters from old school 'toons?

chanelissweet

[34]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 29

people who think that need to get out more

hawksie

[35]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 9
    If this show is 'racist' it's because it plays into black stereotypes. Every colored person on this show has butchered grammar, is loud & outspoken, everything bases around rap or basketball.. I mean if I was black and I was watching this show I'd be offended. Channels like BET shouldn't exist. All it is is promoting racial segregation. If people would stop taking notice of race all together, it shouldn't matter how many black people are on a TV show, or how many Asians are in a movie, etc. Minorities think their standing up for a cause when they complain about crap like that when really their only making the statement that their race needs special treatment and attention.