The Proud Family Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2005)

How is this show racist? Give me a break...

purplewowies

[41]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 18
    hawksie wrote:
    Channels like BET shouldn't exist. All it is is promoting racial segregation. Minorities think their standing up for a cause when they complain about crap like that when really their only making the statement that their race needs special treatment and attention.

I think networks like BET are supposed to promote culture or something-- but this is coming from a person that's never REALLY watched BET. But I guess if BET shouldn't exist, neither should Deaf culture, because it makes Deaf people separate from hearing people. Let's not even take into account that culturally Deaf people don't usually really desire to be hearing. Maybe the people who made things like BET and Deaf culture don't WANT to be like the majority.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CF3689

[42]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 22

i love this show. it's definately not racist.

SparkleDiamond

[44]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 8
    People who say this show is racist probably haven't actually watched a full episode.

CF3689

[45]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 22

SparkleDiamond wrote:
    People who say this show is racist probably haven't actually watched a full episode.

i agree with you on that

becca_2000

[46]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    To all of the stupid people who think that the Proud Family is racist let me clue you in. THE PROUD FAMILY IS NOT RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because more black reference is used and hip hop lingo is used and there is only one percent whites and hispanics it doesn't mean that it is racist. As a matter of fact, people should be bagging on Hannah Montana, Drake and Josh, and Wizards of Waverly Place. Some of the shows only rarely has blacks in them. What about shows like iCarly on Nickelodeon, not once did they ever make a reference based on blacks or even make an episode based on black history. The only majority-white show that actually made something similar to Black history was Lizzie McGuire. I'm sorry if I sound a little racist, and I am not trying to, however, when criticzing shows; always check your facts first. Besides, The Proud Family was one of the best cartoons out there and it was funny!!!!!!!! Disney Channel has changed, they don't make shows like That's So Raven, Kim Possible, Even Stevens, or The Proud Family anymore. My point is THE PROUD FAMILY IS NOT RACIST OK?!!!!!!!!! GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

becca_2000

[47]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 10

purplewowies wrote:
    hawksie wrote:
    Channels like BET shouldn't exist. All it is is promoting racial segregation. Minorities think their standing up for a cause when they complain about crap like that when really their only making the statement that their race needs special treatment and attention.
    I think networks like BET are supposed to promote culture or something-- but this is coming from a person that's never REALLY watched BET. But I guess if BET shouldn't exist, neither should Deaf culture, because it makes Deaf people separate from hearing people. Let's not even take into account that culturally Deaf people don't usually really desire to be hearing. Maybe the people who made things like BET and Deaf culture don't WANT to be like the majority.

To hawksie, listen, BET is not racist. You are just saying that because you probably never watched the show. BET has probably been on longer than MTV and it is still real. Unlike MTV, BET is the most real show meaning, it doesn't have all of that fake teenbopper crap such as Parental Control or all of that sexual stuff. BET might stand for Black Entertainment Television, at least it serves its purpose. MTV used to be about music, now it is about nothing but fake love crap, stupid stunts, and tv shows that starts with bad words such as jack***. BET doesn't tolerate all of that swearing and besides, it doesn't contain all of that stripper crap and two girls making out or all of that Girls Gone Crazy mess that MTV has. When Obama was ingurated, every network that kids, teens, and young adults watch did something in honor of his inguration except MTV and that is ashame!!!!!! Talk about prejudice(hunh?)(sarcasm).

p4poetic

[48]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    While I don't think the concept of BET is racist, the way the station has become now is horrible and most of the shows depict black people in a stereotypical way. It used to be a good channel with positive messages with shows like Teen Summit (dealing with teen issues) and things like that. They only just recently removed 'BET Uncut' (where they air provactive uncensored music videos at midnight. The most notorious one being Nelly's "Tip Drill").
    Edited on 09/07/2009 2:56pm