Washington, D.C. is up next

realworlder

[1]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 12

'Real World D.C.': MTV makes it official

By: Jeff Dufour and Kiki Ryan
    Washington Examiner
    06/10/09 1:14 PM EDT

After weeks of speculation, MTV made it official this afternoon: "The Real World" is filming its 23rd season in Washington this summer. The show will premiere in 2010, after the current season of "Real World: Cancun" fades into memory.

Eight young adults will move into a house at 20th and S streets near Dupont Circle, which is currently under construction, as it is transformed into a 24-hour TV set. In recent days, photos of the construction have been posted on several local blogs and Web sites.

"The charged atmosphere of Washington D.C., the center of our country's social and political change, will provide an electric setting for this next season of 'The Real World,'" said Tony DiSanto, MTV's president of programming. "We are thrilled to be filming our franchise in the heart of where history is being made ... it adds a whole new dimension to the great characters and drama our viewers expect and love from 'The Real World.'"

Mayor Adrian Fenty even got in on the excitement, releasing this statement: "In a time when our country has witnessed the impact and spirit of our nation's young people, it is a pleasure to welcome MTV and 'The Real World' cast to the District of Columbia as they utilize the immense opportunities that the District's backdrop will undoubtedly provide."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/blogs/yeas-and-nays/Real-World-DC-MTV-makes-it-official-47531542.html

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/people/capitalcomment/12629.html

Edited on 06/21/2009 1:58am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

realworlder

[2]Jun 20, 2009

I can't wait. I live in D.C. and the timing is right to come here. It should be very fun. This is the spot they'll be living in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_World:_Washington_D.C.

File:The Real World - Washington, D.C. house.JPG

Edited on 06/21/2009 1:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

justinwestnet

[3]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 17

Wow they haven't even aired Cancun and already talking up the next season! I like DC. A new city they haven't used so this should be good. It will probably air early January 2010 (like Brooklyn did this year), so if the Cancun seasno is 13 weeks, plus reunion, it won't end til early September, then what will MTV put on that time slot from september-december?! Another challenge? I don't even think they've announced anything.

This is why MTV needs to slow down and do this (in no particular order): Air Real World, Road Rules (I bet if they tweaked it, it could be a hit again, especially if it's aired in that Wednesday time slot), RW/RR challenge. Each one would be about 3 months long, and there would be a few weeks in between each series. That would make for great wednesday night TV.

realworlder

[4]Jun 21, 2009

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the format of the original Road Rules. The "Viewer's Revenge" version was crap. I think they could revive it as it was and just air it on Wednesdays ahead of the Real World or a challenge.

And Wikipedia has the next challenge listed as "The Ruins," scheduled to air in 2009. It seems as if they're going to continue to air new seasons of the RW and Challenges back-to-back. They are expected to finish taping the new RW season in November, so a January 2010 airing seems right.

I've pretty much given up on them bringing back RR. They should just go ahead and call the challenges the "Real World Challenge." There were, what, three Road Rules players on this past challenge. I'd like to see them get enough Road Rulers to do another Road Rules v. Real World challenge.

realworlder

[5]Jul 12, 2009

http://dcist.com/2009/07/cast_members_arrive_at_dc_real_worl.php?gallery0Pic=1#gallery

http://img198.yfrog.com/i/89060339.jpg/

http://twitpic.com/9u6ew

realworlder

[6]Jul 12, 2009

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/people/capitalcomment/12629.html

UPDATE (07/09): Tipster Justin saw the RW members in Rockville yesterday: "I was at the Red light when two members came up to my car and asked directions to the rock climbing wall around that area (the rock climbing wall is actually located in Marlo's [Furniture Store]).

UPDATE (07/09): Cast spotted at Cobalt at midnight by multiple sources. Send in your pictures!

UPDATE (07/09): Multiple sightings of two female RW cast members at Georgetown's Urban Outfitters. @katiedonohue snapped this picture.

UPDATE (07/09): We'd already heard that the cast partied on the Boomerang Bus over the Fourth, stopping by Ultra Bar in Chinatown, but this tip is too funny not to post:"One of the guys was wearing some sort of hat with ears on it... (bizarre)" Hmm...We'll go on a limb and say the guy was probably Andrew.

UPDATE (07/09): The organizer of the charity event at Clarendon Grill has confirmed that Josh and Andrew were there last night. "They donated money to the cause. It turns out officers killed in the line of duty is an important issue to Josh, so he stopped by for a couple of hours and just hung out. It was just like any other charity happy hour you would go, just that there were camera's on most of the time. They were very nice and friendly."

UPDATE (07/09): Cast members at SweetGreen again?

UPDATE (07/09): These two cast members were also spotted at Goody's Pizza.

UPDATE (07/09): According to commenter AE, two cast members were out in Arlington last night: "I met Josh and Andrew from the Real World tonight at Clarendon Grill at a charity happy hour to raise money for the family of the guard killed during the recent attack at the Holocaust Museum (not sure if they donated anything...)"

UPDATE (07/09): @claddah76 snapped a picture of six of the cast members at Dupont Circle yesterday.

UPDATE (07/0: Multiple sources confirm the cast was partying at Rhino Bar in Georgetown last night. Anyone know if they misbehaved?

UPDATE (07/07): An earlier sighting placing the cast at the Southwest Marina on the Fourth of July has been confirmed. From Tipster John: "The Real World Cast celebrated 4th of July at the Marina on the Miss Ann Charter. At around 7 PM, a group of scantily dressed women and a few men boarded the Miss Ann. The Real World crew arrived very loud and obnoxiously around 8 PM to board the boat. They stayed there until midnight."

UPDATE (07/07): "I spotted the real world cast at my fave salad spot in DC SweetGreen. I even got a picture!!" says our excited tipster Kyle.

UPDATE (07/07): Tipster Alison:"My co-worker just saw RW at 18th and Mass. A few minutes later they asked a friend for directions to Bread and Brew."

UPDATE (07/07): Was the cast trying to blow some steam (and get away from unfriendly Dupont residents) at Dave & Buster's in White Flint Mall last night? Or is this another fake sighting? If you saw them too, let us know!

UPDATE (07/06): Pictures of the cast walking down U Street.

UPDATE (07/06): Left in our comments wall by Susie: "3 of them were at Chi Cha on U Street Thursday night. The muscular African American male and the small blonde and brunette girls."

UPDATE (07/06): Word keeps coming in of what the cast was up to on the Fourth. From tipster Julia, comes the funniest encounter so far:"Real World cast at the SW Waterfront in the Marina. They were walking and shouting drunkenly down the dock at 10 after the fireworks."

UPDATE (07/06): Noo! Some of the cast members were spotted partying at (our favorite) Dupont dive bar The Big Hunt last night.

UPDATE (07/06): Apparently, the cast celebrated the Fourth with brunch at The Grill from Ipanema. @jwolman tweeted: Just had my first Real World DC moment. Filming at The Grill From Ipanema as we speak...

UPDATE (07/04): Later, though, the cast was apparently less than happy. From tipster Amber: "This was them yelling as they were kicked out of a party."

UPDATE (07/04): A picture of the Fourth of July block party the cast attended.

UPDATE: Real World DC cast was spotted at Public Bar in Dupont on Friday.

UPDATE: A text from our online intern/videographer Jessica Sidman: "Three of them are sitting out on the patio right now." (7:01 PM)

UPDATE: More pictures of the cast, courtesy of DCist.

UPDATE: The first picture of one of the cast members, via Anti-Real World DC.

UPDATE: From tipster Laura: "met 3 of the real world'ers outside their house as we were checking it out. all very very skinny and tan." They are here! Wonder how long before this girl gets herself inside the house.

UPDATE: Have the housemates moved in yet? Word from a tipster:"Some colleagues and I were walking south on Conn Ave (north of dupont circle, right by Tomate) for lunch today and saw an obvious cast member. She was walking with a cameraman and a sound guy and stopping randomly in front of stores. She stuck out a lot since she has long blonde hair and was wearing a bright, short dress and heels. Looks like she belongs in L.A., not in Dupont Circle at lunchtime. How bizarre." Did anyone else spot this blonde? Or is this another false alarm? Let us know!

UPDATE: According to RealWorldDCNEWZ, cast members will be working out at the Washington Sports Club on Connecticut Ave., NW.

UPDATE: According to another tipster, crew members are still being hired and the actual shooting of the show may not start until early July. Will the real Real Word cast members please stand up?

realworlder

[7]Oct 17, 2009
    They left Oct 12th. December 30th is the air date.

realworlder

[8]Feb 21, 2010

This season has been nothing special like every other season after Vegas, save Hollywood.

The most interesting storyling has been Mike's struggle with defining his sexuality. And I gotta admit that I choked up a little when his mother told him she was sorry for the way she treated him.