The Real World

Wednesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television Premiered May 21, 1992 In Season

TV123456

The Real World Fan Reviews (108)

• Unreal World

I laugh at the teens who watch this dribble and think this is what it's gonna be like when they leave mommy and daddy. Yep, that's it. You just move out and find a multi-million dollar house on the beach in San Diego and live with some buddies. No need to work, just worry about what your going to wear and go tonight or spend your time worrying about who is sleeping with who. It's that easy.
  • The Original Reality Show.

Great. But now really stupid
  • Not so Real

The Real World is often criticized for not being a great example of what the 'real world' actually is, and although this season had great drama and fights, it definitely did not live up to it's name. Putting seven strangers in a $8 million dollar mansion in San Diego for three months does not exactly show the audience what the real world is like. This season, to show they are like real people, they were given a job. This job was no desk job; they were given the opportunity to work for The House of Blues. Out of the twelve episodes, there were about only four that actually showed them doing 'work'. The rest of the episodes that mentioned House of Blues were ones where one of the housemates was sleeping with their boss. Other seasons of The Real World did a better job depicting reality, like the New Orleans season; their job included working at a homeless shelter and re-constructing a house that was destroyed during Katrina. The only reality depicted in San Diego involved two off the housemates; a lesbian and bisexual. Throughout the season they are shown struggling to get the rest of their housemates to accept them for who they are, something people do in everyday life. Even though that seems like good reality, it was the only reality that San Diego portrayed.
  • This is the tv show that ruined american television forever, the jersey shore of the early 1990's

This show not only was the downfall of MTV, But the downfall of television as a whole, I Still can't believe that people think this is a good show, this is not, this is shameful trash beyond believe, eric nies was the DJ Pauly D of the 1990's, Yes I Said it, he and the rest of his cronies that brought us trash that should be the dumpster for decades, this is just truly shameful trash and I Hate to say this, but this is a failure and it should be, Because people are so much into this mess, why.
  • A show about 7 (prearranged) strangers. The producers intentionally pick people that will clash. The result? A bunch of people drinking, fighting and hooking up.

1.3
    This show was good for the first couple of seasons that I watched, but it's worn out. This show is definitely for the young immature high school crowd. The Real World has been going downhill for a while, but the season where I actually stopped watching was RW Key West. Maybe it's due to the fact that I actually have a real life. I don't need to watch losers on a "reality" TV show create pointless drama with each other. Especially when the lame drama is created by the producers. The only positive thing I have to write about this show is that they have some pretty cool music. Someone over at MTV has decided that the music MTV plays sucks. So, they throw in the good bands whenever they can - background music for sucky shows. Although, the music isn't a good enough reason to tune in to this tired show.
  • The Real World is one the kind of shows I don't normally watch but the new season seems to be the most interesting yet...

The Real World is basically just about different types of people living under one roof. The newest season, "The Real World: Brooklyn", seems to be the most interesting season yet! I don't know if it's because Katie is transgendered or because one of the girls is passionate about dancing. I kind of like this show now. I just hope people aren't watching it just because someone is gay or transgendered. You can learn a little bit about how those kind of people work. Anyway, I say this show gets better every season. It's decent in a way. The new season is great!
  • This show is about 7 people that move into a house and live together and they never meet each other.

love the real world. man once you watch it you want to see what happends next.I gvie it about 5 stars beacause it is a great show and you will love it. I like the real world hollywood its has a lot of drama and fights and lots of love parts. The real world hollywood tells about the 7 people that move in want to be famous and they need to get along with all the other roommates. They need to start be comming real. the real world. trust me you will love this show. The real world rocks. The best tv show
  • Good concept that has been bastardized beyond recognition.

I watched season one faithfully and it was refreshing to see real people outside of their comfort zones. Now it's simply a big game of who can be the most obnoxious, sleazy and cruel. Let's spin the wheel to see who will sleep with who tonight! There isn't anything new to be seen and a lot of repeated scenarios that are clearly set-ups. Just because they haven't got the good sense to be embarrassed by showing themselves in the most unflattering light doesn't mean they shouldn't be embarrassed. I imagine that a lot of their family members are, at least. Do the "real people" get "real" penicillin at the end of the season? I certainly hope so.
  • The show that started reality TV and took music off MTV, may they burn in hell

Remember the 80's when MTV was cool, was the most influential channel on TV and practically made music careers? Then this cutting edge channel did something that seemed cutting edge for the time, make a show about young people living in various cities around the world and just watch them. No actos or scripts, just them going out, getting drunk, having sex, etc..

Brilliant right? Uh, no. Oh the show that spawned everything wrong with TV, destroyed MTV and gave viewers hours and hours of horrible reality dreck. Soon after its premier, MTV figured out the idiots watching their channel would watch this garbage instead of having to pay musicians for, like, videos and stuff. The morons on the show were "do anything for their 15 minutes of infamy" and they didn't even have to pay them. It was a race to the bottom since with other channels benching real drama and comedy for cheapo reality.

Unlike some (VERY FEW!) reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race, the Real World has no reddeming qualities to it. This is the type of show that Jumped the Shark from day one. Every single moron on the show has been repulsive. The first few seasons the people were repulsive for being preachy bores or pretend jerks (i.e. Puck), now they are repulsive for being bland, preening wannabes that despite all evidence to the contrary, think that this show is a springboard to better things. Based on the zero actual celebrities this show has produced over like 20 years, thats a pretty rotten batting average.

Every season is completely the same..pretty boys/girls shallow as hell drink alot, think they are the first ones to discover the concept, and pine away with each other after promising "I will not cheat on the show" Of course they will, because they want to look like idiots on TV and without the pining and the drinking the show would be watching regular people do nothing..wait that is the show! People entertained by this probably also like watching their screensavers.

Gets one star because I can't put zero, maybe the worst thing ever on TV as a whole. They may have been worse moments on other shows, but pound for pound over 20 years of dreck gets it into the hall of fame of crappy.
  • I guess I'm just biased?

Despite the fact I'm a teenager, I barely watch reality tv or MTV. Occasionally if I'm bored I watch a random episode of a show on that channel but I can't say I watch any of their shows religiously. The Real World has never really appealed to me over the years. I try to make a point of watching the premieres because I loooove seeing the houses they're put in (have you seen them? there's nothing real about them the mansions are crRaaZZzy!!!!) There's only been two episodes of this season DC so far but I think I might start tuning in more often. It's probably because I love the city of Washington. My friends who are big fans of the Real World series aren't really impressed with this season, and I guess I can understand. The house mates are some what boring, with the exception of Andrew. He is probably the only other reason I enjoy watching this. His panda hat... where can I get one? I'm totally rooting for this kid to get laid, and MTV thanks for picking Washington D.C.
  • Good reality TV, if there's such a thing.

I really enjoy this show. I loved seeing these people interact with each other! It's just so dang entertaining, it's hard not to watch it. The fights and the drama that consume the house is unbelievable. There are some pretty hot girls on the show. The casting producers or whoever sure makes good choices. My favorite seasons have to be Key West, Austin, Denver, Las Vegas and I'm liking Hollywood at the moment. I could pretty much cite an episode to you, but each season has it's high moments where a catastrophe happens and everybody is just SO shocked. I'm not a dedicated viewer every week, but I like to check it out and see if I like the people in the house. I can't believe it's been 20 seasons!
  • love the show and being the groundbreaker show in the 1990's but lately the does not have any talkabout the next morning did you see what happen and the did brought diversty for a while but now it fail with the same old situations with a new cast,locale.

Way ahead of it time and how seven strangers deal with living together and getting along with one another is great but it did have great monents over the years but the show went downhill when the producers try to continue with the show with new faces some of are good but latest edition doesn't brought to me any watercooler mentions that people talk about. But the show is great where the roommates deal with the good or bad situations. But there are seasons the show fail to make me watch especially the newest ones. But love the show bring in better cast.
  • After Season 12, there is nothing exciting to watch!

When The Real World started in 1992, I was 2 years old...needless to say I didn't watch the first 5 seasons when they originally aired. Although eventually I did see seasons 1-3 which were good. I remember watching seasons 6 and 7 although rarely since the kids "weren't allowed" to watch The Real World. Oh my!!

Season 8 in Hawaii and 12 in Vegas = Classic!
    Seasons 8-12 were the best.

9 (New Orleans) was awesome. It's New Orleans, c'mon!!
    10 (Back to NY) This season belonged to Coral.
    11 (Chicago) was great! You either loved or hated Aneesea.
    13 (Paris) Big disappointment after just watching Las Vegas.
    14 (San Diego) was the last season I watched fully and by now I'm only watching it out of routine...it's like a drug... I kept coming back in hopes of an amazing season like Vegas. Soon, I realized that wasn't going to happen.
    15 (Philadelphia) was actually a decent season, the first few episodes that I watched anyway.
    16 (Austin) I've only seen a few episodes of Austin and by now all of the excitement of watching The Real World has left me. Which is why I have not watched seasons 17-19. Although when I found out 20 would be in Hollywood, I knew I had to watch. Why hadn't they gone to Hollywood sooner??So I'm watching Hollywood, but we'll see if I get past the 3rd episode and this is the last season I will ever watch.
  • Its mtv to its best

This is the true story of seven strangers picked to live in a house and have their lives taped. Find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real. The Real World, Austin."

How many times have we heard those words? The Real World was the first reality show on tv, premiering in 1992. It is still on the air, currently airing its 15th season, set in Philly, and filming its 16th season in Austin. When TRW was created, it created a new genre of television that years later would be copied by other networks and become almost an obsession around the world. MTV originally wanted to make a soap opera, but the costs were too high, so they thought "what if we could get rid of writers, and scripts, and sets?". That resulted on the first Real World, set in NY neighborhood of SoHo, Manhattan, where 7 people that had never met before had to live in a house together for some time.

As the years went by, The Real World slowly gained its shape and space. New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Paris, San Diego, Philadelphia and now Austin...all these locations have hosted the show. Auditions to be a cast member today attract hundreds of thousands of people in hopes to be one of the strangers in the house. Living rent-free for 6 months in a very hip house with very interesting (and often annoying) roommates, and being on an internationally broadcast tv show is quite attractive to people in their late teens/early 20s.

How much of the show is actually true we'll never know. A lot of what we see on tv is edited to make it look like it all happened in a certain timeline. All the houses have cameras everywhere, and there's a clause in the contract of each housemate that says they're not allowed to go places where the cameras are not allowed in. And all the sounds are taped in a separate way, so, according to Melissa from New Orleans, a lot of times when they're talking and you can only see the back of their heads, the words you hear might not be the words they actually said at the time. Edited or not, none of the scenes aired on the show are acted. They all happened, without scripts.

Each cast member receives around $250 per week, plus their house expenses paid (not including food. That's why every time a parent comes over, they cook). Anything else they want, they have to pay for. Plus, they don't get to take any of all the cool stuff you see in the house.

Today, The Real World is shown in several countries, and local versions of the show have already been made. Loving it or hating it, you just know it's here. The Real World: the first and original reality show.

Housemates

Back to New York, 2001 - Coral, Kevin, Lori, Malik, Mike, Nicole, Rachel

Chicago, 2002 - Aneesa, Cara, Chris, Keri, Kyle, Theo, Tonya

Las Vegas, 2002/03 - Alton, Arissa, Brynn, Frank, Irulan, Steven, Trishelle

Paris, 2003 - Ace, Adam, Chris, Christina, Leah, Mallory, Simon

San Diego, 2004 - Brad, Cameran, Frankie, Jacquese, Jamie, Randy, Robin, Charlie Philadelphia, 2004/05 - Karamo, Landon, Melanie, MJ, Sarah, Shavonda, Willie

Austin, 2005 - Melinda, Rachel, Nehemia, Lacey, Wes, Johanna, Dan

Key West, 2006 - Janelle, John, Jose, Paula, Svetlana, Tyler, Zach

Its stil one of the best show that ever air on mtv.
  • TRUE Reality Television...At its FINEST

Now this is REAL reality televison. Regardless if the people are pre-arranged so that they will clash with each other and start a drama hell storm, THATS THE POINT!!!!

We want to see the drama - reality tv has branched out so much - yet The Real World keeps it classy - six better than average looking people with the one occasional weirdo all in one house to test their patience. i luv it

One of the only true ORIGINAL reality shows where the end results are new friends and bonds and not a cash prize.

Sorry...But it doesn't get better than this guys - reality wise at least =)
  • Aaa... ok, what was that?!

The thing that I find disturbing about this show is that viewers will actually think that these people are really acting like they normally would if the cameras weren't on. It's disturbing because the people who make this shows like to give a hip edge to everything that happens. They make it like it's alright to lie and act like a slut for the cameras, that's what you should do. Basically, it's for people who look good enough for the screen (for the most part) and want to be on television. You can translate that as people who want to work in the entertainment business in some way. A lot of them will host a special on MTV later on. You have people who want to be actors, musicians, and basically exploit themselves to do it. I don't believe what these people have to say, nor do I believe the motivation for their actions of things that supposidly happened. It all looks acted out. Badly acted. I guess it's easier to tell when you're over 25.

I wouldn't be surprised if, even if these are the person's real names, that they share little incommon. Keep in mind, THe Monkees also kept their real names. But even some of their situations seem forced and completely riduculous. Like going over to Anne Rice's house is completely viable for any person off the street to do.
  • Set a trend for reality t.v.

The Real World seems like the first ever reality television show. It really set a trend. I like the idea and the aspects of it. But some of the people they have on the show are just completely weird. I do not understand some of them for the life of me. They are a little over the top sometimes and can tone down the sexual content of the show. Not everyone wants to hear about a bunch of people having sex all of the time. In other parts, it is fun. Especially when they're out at clubs, but the fights seem fake.
  • You gotta be kidding me! 18 seasons?

1.8
    Its was new and novel the first few seasons then it started going down hill. I stopped watching after the season with Puck.

Every so often I see bits and pieces of it and now its just people who are chosen because they are suitably hot, borderline psychos to stir the pot and a normal person or two just to make it seem "real". While not scripted, its very orchestrated. Once it got that way I stopped watching; from what Ive seen since, that hasnt changed.

Most people watch this show to A) See people fighting B) See people screwing C) Feel normal. Started out good, went downhill fast; now its just a big mess - it will probably end when someone dies or is badly injured and lawsuits fly.
  • I Love It For What I Used To Be

5.1
    I will be the first to admit that The Real World has passed its prime. What once was an intresting, contoversial riviting show has now become a cheep excuse for the promotion of sex and booze. I remember the classic seasons of the real world, (e.g. Boston, Chicago, San Francisco) had how they delt with imporant social issues be they racism, sexuality or class diffrences. These seasons had much more dynamic personalities, and relied more on the emotional realationships between cast members then the shock value of having drunken threesomes in the hot tub. I really wish that MTV would realize that they don't need to fill the show with garbage in order to make viewers watch each week. I also wish that the older seasons would be shown again, The Real World is/was a cultual icon for my generation and I wish that MTV would give it the treatment and respect it deserves.
  • Great idea but already worned out.

This show was the trendsetter for all the reality shows that exist at this very moment. Although I did not see every season since the begining, because I was 5 years old back then, during my teenage years I didn't miss it. I have to say that my favorite seasons are New Orleans and Back to New York. I also watched Hawaii and Chicago. I loved watching the reruns of course and the marathons. And I loved seeing past seasons becase I know that they were the best. I'm sorry to say, though that the show hasn't had my attention for some years now. I think it has lost its charm. Maybe it is the new people, but I don't now. It seems people are too aware of reality and too fed up of it. For the first seasons this was a new thing and no one else was doing it so it was really real, but now I just don't like it. But anyway this was a good show until its downfall.
  • good good drama make outs break ups it is so good gotta love the real world so many fights and drama so many good looking ladies i give this show a 10 its great gotta love the show its awesome :D hope it keeps on to get to season 50 thats would be good

a great great show i love this show it is pretty good on my opinion they just need to make more real world\'s but in puerto rico and jamaica places on the carribean it would be a good season if it was there and up to now it is a great show my rating is 10 its good a lot of drama and real, the real world is good just thoso recommendations thats all i ask for :D and i hope i\'ll get on the real world sometime in my life i wish i could im just gonna be my self bye bye
  • it is a show about different people living in a house and trying to get along.

7.8
    i am actually liking this season of real world. I have watched real world since the Los Angeles season. My favorite seasons have been Boston and Of Course Austin. I live in Austin, the ATX! I didnt get a chance to watch the key west season. I wasnt that interested in watching it. But as for this season in denver. Not bad. First off it is a no-no if you sleep with a guy that you first met. whether it is the 1st day or 3rd day. I think Collie is getting to attach to that guy. As for the other girl you know better! I think some of them are just wanting to air time. The others have very bad acting.
  • The Key West season was stormy as the hurricanes.

Very sweet as the eposides came rolling in. The house was amazing as the cast stories as they were told. Espically, Paula she is such a sweet character even though she start much of the drama between the room mates. I can\'t not believe she hook up her ex who put her in the hospital. Her nickname is Paula Walnuts when she starts drinking. I thought she would know that in that type of enviroment that she had panic attacks. Pretty much, the house was amazing the color were sweet in the house. Tyler is a hipocrat of his own kind even though he was gay.
  • If you like the Denver season and want to book a cast member for an appearance check http://www.mm-agency.com/

The Real World Denver has started out like the last several seasons getting drunk and the ensueing hook ups.

What this season will quickly become something with MUCH more substance and \"reality\" that has been missing since the Las Vegas season.

MTV has high hopes for this season, hence the commercial and content blitz this year along with showing the premiere 3 times in a row.

I work with this cast as well all the previous cast members and if you would like to book any of them for an appearance or lecture check out http://www.mm-agency.com/ .

,MM Agency
  • How long will this show last I hope for a while because I want to be on the show!

6.6
    So I can tell the world how dumb people are. This show is pretty much well, gay. You see Karmento (who's a black sissy) on the Real World Philly, if he wasn't gay he would probably be my favorite guy on that show. And I don't understand why the black girl likes the white guy! No offense but c'mon not in a million and 99 years! If they get payed doing this then they must be great at acting. I really don't know but I would love to be on this show when I get older and tell the world why I hate the people above. Don't get me wrong if they got rid of the ewwww things this show would have gotten a 8.4 from me.
  • This show is way past it's prime but when there is nothing on and I flip it to MTV, I continue to watch this show.

This show has to be on the air because of people like me. The show is way past it's prime but for some reason I end up watching more then half of the episodes every year. Now the formula will go down in TV history, I still remember when the show was new and they said MTV is going to do a completely unscripted show and back then I just though MTV was so cheap and ghetto that it was the only way it could do a show. The result was something groundbreaking and interesting but after about 3-4 years of the Real World everyone knew what the show was about and the "newness" wore off but yet and still MTV continued to find people that would go on TV and make an ass out of themselves. Now there is about 15 years of this stuff on tape but yet and still they continue to find people that will go on TV and embarrass and exploit themselves. No one has made it big from being on this show and nothing really good has come from it for it's cast members and on top of that they continue to repeat the same crap that previous casts have done. They all get naked and jump in a hot tube, there is a homosexual in the group and they still seem to find that one homo-phobic person to live in the group......haven't they watched this show, don't they know what not to do on camera. I guess not and as long as they don't there will be a Real World TV show.
  • I watch if I have the time but it's pretty predictable now.

7.8
    The Real World used to be a great show a place where young people go and have politcal discourse and talk about things that matter. It's evolved in to a 24 hour sex party, full of unrealistic beautiful kids, that party, drink and work if they have the time. It's almost very predictable at least one angry person, one gay person, one black person, etc, etc. It doesn't have any relevent value anymore. Personally they should stop filming it because no one is real, and that's the basic premise of the show... being real. It's gained to much attention so people are trying to gain fame by going on the show I wish it could get back to basics.
  • This is the true story, of seven strangers, picked to live in a house, work together and have their lives taped, to find out what happens, when people stop being polite, and start getting real. The Real World.

So this is show that is hit or miss season by season. It was great in the beginning when it was new and original. But after so many seasons I think that it has gotten worse. The show is really dependent on the cast that they have picked. And it seems there is a pattern to follow. There has to be the token gay person or two and for drama with the there has to be a homophobic person. Then there has to be some person of color and then the light racist person. With the mix of guys and girls there has to be the slutty one from each sex who end up hooking up with each other, half the house and half the city they are in. Throw in someone with an addiction (alcohol or drugs), a cutter, or someone with an eating disorder and the fun begins.
  • I miss the grit and newness of the old Real World

6.4
    Although there never seemed to be a real dramatic arc on this show, where the episodes crescendo to a climactic finish, the oldest episodes were funny as hell to watch, because they displayed all segments of the MTV generation, good bad and criminal. There is no real rhyme and reason to the show; but 'back in the day' it didn't have to have a point to be interesting. The fact that it was one of the only, actually,the original reality show made it cool enough. But I'd say, around Real World New Orleans, the newness started to wear off. And I really had to wonder why I watched it in the first place. Best housemates:
    ***Jacinda/Teck/Ruthie/Janet/Syrus/Melissa REWLZ***
  • I love this show, but sometimes the scripted part is too obvious.

7.3
    I love this show, but sometimes the scripted part is too obvious. I am not liking Real World Key West as much as I have liked other seasons. I love the cast, except Tyler, but I just think the interactions are all too scripted.

Speaking of Tyler.. who does he think he is. He is an ****, in my opinon. I hate when he says \"You know those cute, annoying puppies that pee on the carpet? Svetlana is that puppy. She needs to be punished, and that\'s why I punished her.\" What is wrong with him? He\'s the one who wrote a burn book. I think hes an **** hole.. he needs to be punished.

My favorite season was the Real World Boston, probably. I also liked Real World Austin.
< 1 2 3 4