The Real World

Wednesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television Premiered May 21, 1992 In Season

TV123456

The Real World Fan Reviews (108)

• This show is about 7 people that move into a house and live together and they never meet each other.

love the real world. man once you watch it you want to see what happends next.I gvie it about 5 stars beacause it is a great show and you will love it. I like the real world hollywood its has a lot of drama and fights and lots of love parts. The real world hollywood tells about the 7 people that move in want to be famous and they need to get along with all the other roommates. They need to start be comming real. the real world. trust me you will love this show. The real world rocks. The best tv show
  • good good drama make outs break ups it is so good gotta love the real world so many fights and drama so many good looking ladies i give this show a 10 its great gotta love the show its awesome :D hope it keeps on to get to season 50 thats would be good

a great great show i love this show it is pretty good on my opinion they just need to make more real world\'s but in puerto rico and jamaica places on the carribean it would be a good season if it was there and up to now it is a great show my rating is 10 its good a lot of drama and real, the real world is good just thoso recommendations thats all i ask for :D and i hope i\'ll get on the real world sometime in my life i wish i could im just gonna be my self bye bye
  • This is the tv show that ruined american television forever, the jersey shore of the early 1990's

This show not only was the downfall of MTV, But the downfall of television as a whole, I Still can't believe that people think this is a good show, this is not, this is shameful trash beyond believe, eric nies was the DJ Pauly D of the 1990's, Yes I Said it, he and the rest of his cronies that brought us trash that should be the dumpster for decades, this is just truly shameful trash and I Hate to say this, but this is a failure and it should be, Because people are so much into this mess, why.
  • Aaa... ok, what was that?!

The thing that I find disturbing about this show is that viewers will actually think that these people are really acting like they normally would if the cameras weren't on. It's disturbing because the people who make this shows like to give a hip edge to everything that happens. They make it like it's alright to lie and act like a slut for the cameras, that's what you should do. Basically, it's for people who look good enough for the screen (for the most part) and want to be on television. You can translate that as people who want to work in the entertainment business in some way. A lot of them will host a special on MTV later on. You have people who want to be actors, musicians, and basically exploit themselves to do it. I don't believe what these people have to say, nor do I believe the motivation for their actions of things that supposidly happened. It all looks acted out. Badly acted. I guess it's easier to tell when you're over 25.

I wouldn't be surprised if, even if these are the person's real names, that they share little incommon. Keep in mind, THe Monkees also kept their real names. But even some of their situations seem forced and completely riduculous. Like going over to Anne Rice's house is completely viable for any person off the street to do.
  • Going Downhill, and FAST.

5.5
    This show is about 7 staranger picked to live in a house ... Ya'll know the opening. But I personally think that this show is starting to lose its touch. In the beginning it was very interesting, but now with all of these other reality shows it's not making the cut. This show has become very repeditive and redondent. I mean how many times are you going to do the same thing. It is time for this show to go. I remember when I first started watching it, it was so interesting following these 7 people. Now, not so much. Shows like Big Brother and others, are simpily killing this show, so lets get it off the air, or make some serious changes.
  • I love this show, but sometimes the scripted part is too obvious.

7.3
    I love this show, but sometimes the scripted part is too obvious. I am not liking Real World Key West as much as I have liked other seasons. I love the cast, except Tyler, but I just think the interactions are all too scripted.

Speaking of Tyler.. who does he think he is. He is an ****, in my opinon. I hate when he says \"You know those cute, annoying puppies that pee on the carpet? Svetlana is that puppy. She needs to be punished, and that\'s why I punished her.\" What is wrong with him? He\'s the one who wrote a burn book. I think hes an **** hole.. he needs to be punished.

My favorite season was the Real World Boston, probably. I also liked Real World Austin.
  • This show is doing really bad every year.

This show has been doing worse every year and they need to stop filming them. I think 17 seasons will be enough. Maybe they can make a few more if they make them international. I would watch it if the show is in Japan,China,or Australia. I think the Austin season is soooooooooo boring. No interesting people
  • Good reality TV, if there's such a thing.

I really enjoy this show. I loved seeing these people interact with each other! It's just so dang entertaining, it's hard not to watch it. The fights and the drama that consume the house is unbelievable. There are some pretty hot girls on the show. The casting producers or whoever sure makes good choices. My favorite seasons have to be Key West, Austin, Denver, Las Vegas and I'm liking Hollywood at the moment. I could pretty much cite an episode to you, but each season has it's high moments where a catastrophe happens and everybody is just SO shocked. I'm not a dedicated viewer every week, but I like to check it out and see if I like the people in the house. I can't believe it's been 20 seasons!
  • okay show

i started watching the real world when they went to austin that season was awesome there was alot of drama like when danny and melinda fought when danny got punched in the eye when dannys mom died that was sad wes had some drama johana and meamia i think thats how you spell it but thatwas cool when they got arested and now the real is in ky west its not as god as austin but its okay the hurracains are pretty cool and i heard the next real world is going to denver i wonder if its going to be any good ??
  • Its mtv to its best

This is the true story of seven strangers picked to live in a house and have their lives taped. Find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real. The Real World, Austin."

How many times have we heard those words? The Real World was the first reality show on tv, premiering in 1992. It is still on the air, currently airing its 15th season, set in Philly, and filming its 16th season in Austin. When TRW was created, it created a new genre of television that years later would be copied by other networks and become almost an obsession around the world. MTV originally wanted to make a soap opera, but the costs were too high, so they thought "what if we could get rid of writers, and scripts, and sets?". That resulted on the first Real World, set in NY neighborhood of SoHo, Manhattan, where 7 people that had never met before had to live in a house together for some time.

As the years went by, The Real World slowly gained its shape and space. New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Paris, San Diego, Philadelphia and now Austin...all these locations have hosted the show. Auditions to be a cast member today attract hundreds of thousands of people in hopes to be one of the strangers in the house. Living rent-free for 6 months in a very hip house with very interesting (and often annoying) roommates, and being on an internationally broadcast tv show is quite attractive to people in their late teens/early 20s.

How much of the show is actually true we'll never know. A lot of what we see on tv is edited to make it look like it all happened in a certain timeline. All the houses have cameras everywhere, and there's a clause in the contract of each housemate that says they're not allowed to go places where the cameras are not allowed in. And all the sounds are taped in a separate way, so, according to Melissa from New Orleans, a lot of times when they're talking and you can only see the back of their heads, the words you hear might not be the words they actually said at the time. Edited or not, none of the scenes aired on the show are acted. They all happened, without scripts.

Each cast member receives around $250 per week, plus their house expenses paid (not including food. That's why every time a parent comes over, they cook). Anything else they want, they have to pay for. Plus, they don't get to take any of all the cool stuff you see in the house.

Today, The Real World is shown in several countries, and local versions of the show have already been made. Loving it or hating it, you just know it's here. The Real World: the first and original reality show.

Housemates

Back to New York, 2001 - Coral, Kevin, Lori, Malik, Mike, Nicole, Rachel

Chicago, 2002 - Aneesa, Cara, Chris, Keri, Kyle, Theo, Tonya

Las Vegas, 2002/03 - Alton, Arissa, Brynn, Frank, Irulan, Steven, Trishelle

Paris, 2003 - Ace, Adam, Chris, Christina, Leah, Mallory, Simon

San Diego, 2004 - Brad, Cameran, Frankie, Jacquese, Jamie, Randy, Robin, Charlie Philadelphia, 2004/05 - Karamo, Landon, Melanie, MJ, Sarah, Shavonda, Willie

Austin, 2005 - Melinda, Rachel, Nehemia, Lacey, Wes, Johanna, Dan

Key West, 2006 - Janelle, John, Jose, Paula, Svetlana, Tyler, Zach

Its stil one of the best show that ever air on mtv.
  • Every season of this show is differnet and sometimes it can be a interesting show (San Diego) and other times it can be boring (London). But this show is the first of its kind it really started the genre of reality was there was nothing like this on befo

I have been watching this show this I was in my early teens and has been a staple of my TV viewing. Lately it seems that every other season is a awesome season so Austin should turn out to be a great one. San Diego has been my personal favorite it had the right mix of people and drama. I have noticed that when they can a younger set of roomates (this upcoming season no one is older then 23) it tends to do better and is more interesting. Philadelphia no one was younger then 21 and while it had its good moments it wasn't the best season. All in all this is a great show with normally great drama and highly entertaining.
  • The Key West season was stormy as the hurricanes.

Very sweet as the eposides came rolling in. The house was amazing as the cast stories as they were told. Espically, Paula she is such a sweet character even though she start much of the drama between the room mates. I can\'t not believe she hook up her ex who put her in the hospital. Her nickname is Paula Walnuts when she starts drinking. I thought she would know that in that type of enviroment that she had panic attacks. Pretty much, the house was amazing the color were sweet in the house. Tyler is a hipocrat of his own kind even though he was gay.
  • TRUE Reality Television...At its FINEST

Now this is REAL reality televison. Regardless if the people are pre-arranged so that they will clash with each other and start a drama hell storm, THATS THE POINT!!!!

We want to see the drama - reality tv has branched out so much - yet The Real World keeps it classy - six better than average looking people with the one occasional weirdo all in one house to test their patience. i luv it

One of the only true ORIGINAL reality shows where the end results are new friends and bonds and not a cash prize.

Sorry...But it doesn't get better than this guys - reality wise at least =)
  • This season proved to be the last straw for me. The point of this show,imo,has been lost in the haze of drunken castmates willing to repeat the same boring scenerio's as past seasons. Apparently the words watch,learn,grow,and change never occured to thes

0.0
    It started with the San Diego cast, and has been steadily drowning in quick sand ever since. Now, a show I once looked forward to watching every week, I can't even stand to let run in the background while I'm doing something else. Another season of annoying roomates in this less than thrilling place and location, was the final straw for me. I find nothing extraordinary about any of these new cast members, and It sickens me to think of the rich fools who cast them, and how much money they make to do nothing. It makes me wonder if this particular cast was picked from a lottery or worse yet, at random? At least that would explain it. But seriously, I think even a lottery would have produced better results than the seven grains of sand who were cast. Also, the houses seem to be getting uglier as time goes on, with cheesy and tacky and the themes. Here's an idea, let me pick the next cast. It would save Mtv tons of money and at least I know how to differentiate between an interesting personality and a rock! And for these cast-mates to play through the same old boring scenario's as if they've never seen or bothered to learn from their predecessors is just lame. You can't take Bob1 out and exchange him for Bob2, change the scenery, the town, and expect me to be impressed. Here's an idea...how bout finding some kids next time who have a promising future. An even bigger twist...how bout they dont drink or do the club thing. Oh my god, what a concept. I'd much rather watch a dedicated young person resisting the temptations to be a drunken fool on camera. And what's the deal with all these Boston dudes? Is this another friend or relative of ct and David? Hmmm....makes you wonder. But hey, whatever, I'm just one voice, one opinion, and if the people behind the life of this show want to slowly lead it to it's death, so be it. If this is all they have to offer for entertainment, I'd rather watch paint dry anyway. The only thing I have to dread now is the horror of having to see these morons on future rr/rw challenges.
  • Someone needs to throw this garbage in the trash.

0.0
    The time of reality television has come and gone. Matter of fact, the time for this horrendous piece of a show had come after season 3. This show needs to go away and never to be seen again or run on daily marathons on MTV. No one wants to watch it anymore. No one cares. You are a music television station, give your viewers music.

The Real World is nothing more than sex for 30 minutes. That is all it is anymore. No more complex individuals. Just a bunch of knobs who go out get drunk and sleep around.

The Real World is no more. Retitle the show to The World As The Producers See It and Edit It.
  • this show has lost its way

0.0
    what happened? once upon a time there were real people on this show with real problems and real lives. now its just a pack of underfed fashion models and wannabe flash in the pan celebrities who indulge in prefabricated drama. this show has degenerated into a fourth rate soap opera. this show is way past its prime and its time to stop celebrating mediocrity and and catering to the lowest common denominator.
  • i never got into it.... i dont think i ever will.

0.0
    Some of my friends watch the real world, but i never really was interested in it... i watch an episode or 2 every season, just to see if id like it... i never do tho... oh well... theres plenty of shows i do like to watch instead and i know lots of people who do enjoy the show...
  • GO AWAY WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS SHOW ITS SOOOOOO BORING

0.0
    Change the channel please what the hell why is this gay ass stupid show still on ? Cancel it already its way past its prime !!! ( im just filling in the rest of this box ) ( im just filling in the rest of this box ) for real though please cancel this show. Please cancel this show please !!
  • A show about 7 (prearranged) strangers. The producers intentionally pick people that will clash. The result? A bunch of people drinking, fighting and hooking up.

1.3
    This show was good for the first couple of seasons that I watched, but it's worn out. This show is definitely for the young immature high school crowd. The Real World has been going downhill for a while, but the season where I actually stopped watching was RW Key West. Maybe it's due to the fact that I actually have a real life. I don't need to watch losers on a "reality" TV show create pointless drama with each other. Especially when the lame drama is created by the producers. The only positive thing I have to write about this show is that they have some pretty cool music. Someone over at MTV has decided that the music MTV plays sucks. So, they throw in the good bands whenever they can - background music for sucky shows. Although, the music isn't a good enough reason to tune in to this tired show.
  • This show is startin to su*k!

1.5
    I rarely watch the new real world. come to think of it, i barely watched the old RW. But i do have a enough since to know that the show is going downhill and needs to end soon. Season 16 is only on its 4th or 5th episode and its a really bad season. I only watch to see the fights. It seems like every season there doing/talking about the same sh**. And that white dude who got his as* beat and that hot blonde girl annoy me! The blonde is nice to look at, but there relationship problems bore me!. Real World needs to end.
  • once a good show

i used to really like this show. the first season or so were actually great social experiments. take people from different cultures and see how they interact with one another. now it's just another crappy reality show. it's all about them getting wasted and trying to have sex with one another. and don't forget there's always that one in the bunch that has a higher social concience. tree hugger, or religious fanatic. it really makes me sick now.
  • Unreal World

I laugh at the teens who watch this dribble and think this is what it's gonna be like when they leave mommy and daddy. Yep, that's it. You just move out and find a multi-million dollar house on the beach in San Diego and live with some buddies. No need to work, just worry about what your going to wear and go tonight or spend your time worrying about who is sleeping with who. It's that easy.
  • Is this show supposed to have a point?

4.5
    I really don't understand this show. It is completely pointless. It is the life of a couple people and their job. Ok... Is it really necessary to have a show about this. Sure it's the real world, but why watch someone elses story while you could be making your own. I thought that this show was a complete waste of time. For people that like to snoop in others' buisness this show is perfect for them. Otherwise all this show does is show you the life of a couple of people whining along the way. If you enjoy this show I have to admit I sincerely feel sorry for you. Maybe you can change my opinion if you explain the point.
  • Seven people live under the same roof and round out house for the Real World, where people gain valuable experience for how the real world operates or so it says on paper.

5.8
    I gotta say, most critics of the show are right on the money, the Real World has been getting dumber and dumber every season. The characters are getting more stereotypical, and the show's premise itself of "people getting real" towards each other is a lying joke in itself. First we usually get a barrage of stereotypes, the one black dude in the cast who feels "left out" from his all white cast, or that one more minority whose labeled as a troublemaker despite the fact that his roommates aren't any better.

Another laughable thing is the cheating, gf and bf who in "serious relationship", more than half of the time end up cheating with their roomate. This season is really no different with characters like Melinda and Danny and Jo and Wes. The whole premise of the show for intentional
    purposes is not being followed and some of the
    roomates behave like they just got out of junior
    high school. I still tune it but merely for a laugh as the show has hit numerous lows and
    hasn't fully recovered.

• Not so Real

The Real World is often criticized for not being a great example of what the 'real world' actually is, and although this season had great drama and fights, it definitely did not live up to it's name. Putting seven strangers in a $8 million dollar mansion in San Diego for three months does not exactly show the audience what the real world is like. This season, to show they are like real people, they were given a job. This job was no desk job; they were given the opportunity to work for The House of Blues. Out of the twelve episodes, there were about only four that actually showed them doing 'work'. The rest of the episodes that mentioned House of Blues were ones where one of the housemates was sleeping with their boss. Other seasons of The Real World did a better job depicting reality, like the New Orleans season; their job included working at a homeless shelter and re-constructing a house that was destroyed during Katrina. The only reality depicted in San Diego involved two off the housemates; a lesbian and bisexual. Throughout the season they are shown struggling to get the rest of their housemates to accept them for who they are, something people do in everyday life. Even though that seems like good reality, it was the only reality that San Diego portrayed.
  • This show is way past it's prime but when there is nothing on and I flip it to MTV, I continue to watch this show.

This show has to be on the air because of people like me. The show is way past it's prime but for some reason I end up watching more then half of the episodes every year. Now the formula will go down in TV history, I still remember when the show was new and they said MTV is going to do a completely unscripted show and back then I just though MTV was so cheap and ghetto that it was the only way it could do a show. The result was something groundbreaking and interesting but after about 3-4 years of the Real World everyone knew what the show was about and the "newness" wore off but yet and still MTV continued to find people that would go on TV and make an ass out of themselves. Now there is about 15 years of this stuff on tape but yet and still they continue to find people that will go on TV and embarrass and exploit themselves. No one has made it big from being on this show and nothing really good has come from it for it's cast members and on top of that they continue to repeat the same crap that previous casts have done. They all get naked and jump in a hot tube, there is a homosexual in the group and they still seem to find that one homo-phobic person to live in the group......haven't they watched this show, don't they know what not to do on camera. I guess not and as long as they don't there will be a Real World TV show.
  • A show about seven strangers picked to live together and get real.

Umm...The Real World is okay now. I loved the Real World when they first came out. The earlier seasons were much better than now I think. They are getting sorry with the recent epsiodoes. It's not as good as it used to be. I hope that they do better with this new cast and new season.
  • Same drama, same plot, every season!

6.2
    The Real World is only known for it being the first reality show shown on television. To me this show is just all about 7 people across the United States giving free rent to a particular location in the country where they will be filmed for 5 months. The main thing about this show is people drinking and getting drunk and going to the clubs partying. Almost every single episode is like that. Another characteristic for this show is the drama. Every single Real World season shown consisted of some drama. Another component to the show is the involvement with the police. And there you go! This is what the Real World is all about. Which is pretty dull and boring if you ask me.
  • I miss the grit and newness of the old Real World

6.4
    Although there never seemed to be a real dramatic arc on this show, where the episodes crescendo to a climactic finish, the oldest episodes were funny as hell to watch, because they displayed all segments of the MTV generation, good bad and criminal. There is no real rhyme and reason to the show; but 'back in the day' it didn't have to have a point to be interesting. The fact that it was one of the only, actually,the original reality show made it cool enough. But I'd say, around Real World New Orleans, the newness started to wear off. And I really had to wonder why I watched it in the first place. Best housemates:
    ***Jacinda/Teck/Ruthie/Janet/Syrus/Melissa REWLZ***
  • The start of reality tv

Back in 1992, MTV would "claim" the first reality tv
    Show of its kind with The Real World with people from different backgrounds but also different points of view
    Living together and how they liked living together.
    At first they are all nice and sweet. Then they get sick of
    One another. Wanting to get out of each other's hair! Very funny and ahead of its time.
    But IMO, it is going downhill fast!
< 1 2 3 4