The Real World

Wednesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television Premiered May 21, 1992 In Season

TV123456

The Real World Fan Reviews (108)

• The same seven types of strangers live in a house and do the same predictable things.

3.8
    Remember the good old days of the first three season. When it seemed that this show could once be called a documentary? A social experiment? I remember watching that first season, amazed that people were having conversations about race on MTV. I really respected the shows creators for that and I was only 10 years old! Now I'm 24 and am disgusted by the shows steady descent into a seedy hook up show.
  • AWESOME!!

I saw this show when I was younger...about three years ago and thought it was so stupid. then I watched The Real World San Diego then Real World Philadelphia and LOVED them both!!! I can't wait for The Real World Austin Texas June 21st. It looks soooo good. Looks like its going to be one of the wildest seasons yet!
  • The show that started reality TV and took music off MTV, may they burn in hell

Remember the 80's when MTV was cool, was the most influential channel on TV and practically made music careers? Then this cutting edge channel did something that seemed cutting edge for the time, make a show about young people living in various cities around the world and just watch them. No actos or scripts, just them going out, getting drunk, having sex, etc..

Brilliant right? Uh, no. Oh the show that spawned everything wrong with TV, destroyed MTV and gave viewers hours and hours of horrible reality dreck. Soon after its premier, MTV figured out the idiots watching their channel would watch this garbage instead of having to pay musicians for, like, videos and stuff. The morons on the show were "do anything for their 15 minutes of infamy" and they didn't even have to pay them. It was a race to the bottom since with other channels benching real drama and comedy for cheapo reality.

Unlike some (VERY FEW!) reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race, the Real World has no reddeming qualities to it. This is the type of show that Jumped the Shark from day one. Every single moron on the show has been repulsive. The first few seasons the people were repulsive for being preachy bores or pretend jerks (i.e. Puck), now they are repulsive for being bland, preening wannabes that despite all evidence to the contrary, think that this show is a springboard to better things. Based on the zero actual celebrities this show has produced over like 20 years, thats a pretty rotten batting average.

Every season is completely the same..pretty boys/girls shallow as hell drink alot, think they are the first ones to discover the concept, and pine away with each other after promising "I will not cheat on the show" Of course they will, because they want to look like idiots on TV and without the pining and the drinking the show would be watching regular people do nothing..wait that is the show! People entertained by this probably also like watching their screensavers.

Gets one star because I can't put zero, maybe the worst thing ever on TV as a whole. They may have been worse moments on other shows, but pound for pound over 20 years of dreck gets it into the hall of fame of crappy.
  • Not that great anymore

4.5
    Is it just me or has the Real World, as a series, gotten really crappy? I've been a fan for about a decade now (I started with Seattle or Boston, whichever came first), and I usually watch it no matter how lame it is, but they're on season 17 now!!! Haven't they learned that people want more for their time? I don't want to see some 19 year old rich girl whining about her boyfriend for half an hour! I don't want to see the roommates getting hammered every...single...episode (and I mean every episode).

I'm issuing a plea to The Real World and Mtv:

Please make the show better or when season 18 rolls around, you may lose a long time viewer.
  • this show gwet beter every season i love this season out of all of them

i love this show it is the best show every this
    season is the best i love the people in the house danny is soooo hot wes is sooo not cute he does not look good at all i love the house it is soo big i love the rooms i was sooo sad when danny\'s mom died i was crying
  • i love the real world!

i just started watching it and i love it! I love all the drama that is going on, fights, romance, I love it! people say its boring but i dont think its boring at all! The Real World Austin is the best season to me i love it so much drama in this season!
  • Is it bad to admit I've seen ever episode of every season?

It's kinda hard to belive they made it up to season 16, when this show finally comes to an end I will most likely cry. It was the first show like it and it's still the best. Yes the drama is pumped up by the producer and crew but it still makes great tv. It's kind of like a car wreck, you know you shouldn't look but you just can't help it.

I have to say my favorite episode of all time was season 8 Hawaii 's first episode where Teck and Ruthie are locked outside and go skinny-dipping.
  • It Rox!

The Real World is SUCH a great show! I love it to death! The new season is gonna be awesome! I saw previews for it, and it looks SO eciting to watch! That's the only show I run home to watch! I can't wait until June 21st when the 15th season kicks off!
  • This is so much fun to watch!

Oh my! I love this show!...I watched a few different episodes, but not this one as much. I like the people in this house, though, as far as I've seen. I don't really like the concept of the people living in the same house. It brings up so much drama. I dunno, it's a good show...
  • Light and fluffy, but entertaining.

I can't help but like this show. I realize that it's not the most intelligent thing on TV, but for some reason this show is just addicting. Perhaps because it is an escape from reality. This is perhaps the ORIGINAL reality TV show, and while many will argue (and I agree) that reality TV isn't really "real", The Real World at least keeps it simple. No stupid challenges, no voting people off, none of the stuff that makes other "reality" shows completely horrible. It's plain and simple. 7 unique, albeit perhaps a bit stereotypical, young adults are thrown into a house with little to no responsibilty, and shenanigans of course ensue. While I frequently find myself asking "Why do I waste my time on this show?" I find that it is just a piece of television that I can truly enjoy. I can sit down and watch people whose problems are smaller than mine make a bigger deal out of their small problems than I do with my big problems. It's rather soothing to watch something like that.
  • The Real World is one the kind of shows I don't normally watch but the new season seems to be the most interesting yet...

The Real World is basically just about different types of people living under one roof. The newest season, "The Real World: Brooklyn", seems to be the most interesting season yet! I don't know if it's because Katie is transgendered or because one of the girls is passionate about dancing. I kind of like this show now. I just hope people aren't watching it just because someone is gay or transgendered. You can learn a little bit about how those kind of people work. Anyway, I say this show gets better every season. It's decent in a way. The new season is great!
  • As much as I used to enjoy this show I think it's time for it to go.

When I first started watching this show they were on the season with the Chicago cast. I can definitely say that that was one of my favorite seasons. The next best seasons were San Diego & Austin. But after seeing the Philadelphia season I realized that maybe it was time for this show to go. It sometimes feels like there is too much fighting & hooking up & it seems like that's all it's about now.
  • Once a show about a life changing experience. Now a show about booze, fights, sex, and drama.

Okay, so this show was once "orignal" in a sense that it paved the way for most reality shows now. Every season followed a new group of strangers and each season brang something new.

That's not how it's like anymore. Ever since the Las Vegas season, the show kept bringing the same old three things over and over again: Sex, Hook-ups and Fights. The show has changed from an eye-opening and life-changing experience, into a fat seven-person orgy.

If anyone wants to watch this show in it's true nature, then watch the first eight seasons of the show.
  • Played out...

This show, while still entertaining is more of the same. It was good with the first few seasons, but after Las Vegas lost entertainment value. I mean they did about everything thinkable in Las Vegas than they try to make us accept the other mediocre seasons. I don't buy them, and I no longer take interest in the show. It is always the same formula...

The Quiet One, The Gay One, the Depressed/Punk Rock one, the frat/prep, and the hot chick.

I think that they should either try to do something new, like have it set in a different country, or just pull the cord...
  • I Love It For What I Used To Be

5.1
    I will be the first to admit that The Real World has passed its prime. What once was an intresting, contoversial riviting show has now become a cheep excuse for the promotion of sex and booze. I remember the classic seasons of the real world, (e.g. Boston, Chicago, San Francisco) had how they delt with imporant social issues be they racism, sexuality or class diffrences. These seasons had much more dynamic personalities, and relied more on the emotional realationships between cast members then the shock value of having drunken threesomes in the hot tub. I really wish that MTV would realize that they don't need to fill the show with garbage in order to make viewers watch each week. I also wish that the older seasons would be shown again, The Real World is/was a cultual icon for my generation and I wish that MTV would give it the treatment and respect it deserves.
  • Not my favorite, going downhill.

This show is overated. It is watched by to many people. I have tried to watch this show over and over and over and over again and I get the same thing. I keep forgetting that it is on tuesdays. It is not the type of show that I would remember becuase nothing very exciting happens in it. The characters are getting worse as the show goes along and evryone always seems to fight. You don't have to take my opinion but, it isn't a show that is worth watching. Turn on some real T.V. that isn't just a bunch of people playing with the camera and screaming or crying.
  • A horrible show about 7 horrible human beings

After watching the finale, I had a really bad taste in my mouth. The show is unbarable to watch. While the show has shifted its focus to partying/drinking/hooking up, at least there were some colorful characters. This season was the exception. There was no one likeable in the cast.

The Danny and Melinda Show is sickening and really, really fake.

Rachel has problems. The fact that she uses her Iraq experience for every excuse just shows how mature she is. The fact that she was physically in Iraq doesn't command respect, it's what she has done.

Wes and Neh are morons. I can't believe they were actually casted. Waste of flesh.

This was easily the worst season of the Real World ever. bad casting.
  • Can't we find something better do do with our time than follow other people's lives? Don't we have lives of our own we can watch?

3.6
    MTV. The Music Television Network. Marrying the combo, and my loves, of music and television. But MTV's appeal to "music" (or lack thereof) is dissapointing. I will not be whiny and say "Bad show! Bad show! It's satonic! For the love of God, change the channel! I hate this show! Don't watch it because I say so!"
    Yeah, I know you don't care what I think, nor do I care what you think about my favorite shows.
    But just think what better you could do with your time than watch a couple people living together getting into bar fights.
  • They worry about the most tiny, unimportant things about life. Real world however does a good job in showing how wusy people can get.

3.5
    The past real world seasons were alot better. But I will base this review off current seasons which is currently a bunch of garbage. The roommates are stupid and whine more then my little sister. They worry about the most tiny, unimportant things about life. Real world however does a good job in showing how wusy people can get. Ex. Paula's food diet and eating problems and her drinking? So what? Does she have a disease? No. Is she poor and lives on the streets? No. So why is she whinning and moaping about some nonsense when she is to blame for her life "little" situations. You can blantly see that Real world over dramatizes every situation the roommates go through. To Sluvanna's (however you spell it) immaturatity problem to the manipulatiing gay guy. Yeah ..the ...manipulating..gay.. guy. And the ugly diva wanna be Janelle. Furthermore, Real World picks people who dont have "real" problems. Most of the time its just petty relationships the people have. Its sort of insulting to have ignorant people on a show with minor problems and think its the end of the world and call the show "real world". Its not real and its not harsh. Get a real cast with real issues.
  • You gotta be kidding me! 18 seasons?

1.8
    Its was new and novel the first few seasons then it started going down hill. I stopped watching after the season with Puck.

Every so often I see bits and pieces of it and now its just people who are chosen because they are suitably hot, borderline psychos to stir the pot and a normal person or two just to make it seem "real". While not scripted, its very orchestrated. Once it got that way I stopped watching; from what Ive seen since, that hasnt changed.

Most people watch this show to A) See people fighting B) See people screwing C) Feel normal. Started out good, went downhill fast; now its just a big mess - it will probably end when someone dies or is badly injured and lawsuits fly.
  • This show was cutting edge.... about 5 seasons ago.... Now its just total crap...

1.5
    The fact that this show is still on the air doesn't supprise me, Its all drama and gossip... And always have the most stuck up people in the cast, who don't even appreciate the fact that they live in a great country and don't respect anyone or anything (not even themselves). They have it easy and still they find something to b*tch about. I can almost see its appeal but, I look for more in my TV shows...
  • Needs fine-tuning, but maybe not the kind that most shows need. I watched Real World: Austin, and let me just say that the "real" part of it wasn't there.

1.4
    Reality shows never should have joined TV, they are wastes of time. Most of them, atleast. I only like two, and that's because they aren't AS scripted as every other show on television. Everything is scripted now, including the Real World. It always follows a formula, and god forbid they all just get along. I know that that wouldn't be a show, but doesn't that just prove it's scripted?
  • THis Show Sucks

1.1
    I hate all reality shows. Not only that but they are not reality. I believe that people who watch these types of shows are really dumbing down society. And even worse are the people that are behinde making these types of shows. I just wish that one day these people will sit back and reilize that they are making america dumber. And america, stop watching this garbage. I Love Tv, but I refuse to watch something that is so unoriginal that they can't even muster up a script. Now my last attact is that these are NOT Reality Shows. These are NON SCRIPTED SHOWS. or GAME SHOWS. Get it right.

"Quote Nevermore"
  • Good concept that has been bastardized beyond recognition.

I watched season one faithfully and it was refreshing to see real people outside of their comfort zones. Now it's simply a big game of who can be the most obnoxious, sleazy and cruel. Let's spin the wheel to see who will sleep with who tonight! There isn't anything new to be seen and a lot of repeated scenarios that are clearly set-ups. Just because they haven't got the good sense to be embarrassed by showing themselves in the most unflattering light doesn't mean they shouldn't be embarrassed. I imagine that a lot of their family members are, at least. Do the "real people" get "real" penicillin at the end of the season? I certainly hope so.
  • One of the worst and most pointless shows on television. Only for pre pubescent girls, and no brain partiers.

0.1
    I actually watched the season premiere of this show... and it was one of the worst and most frustratingly stupid and sophmoric viewing experiences of my life. I really don't know who wastes there time watching this shit... You can skip the show; because I'll give you a description of how this and every real world goes: Go to Bar, get drunk, big fight with random people for no reason, girl cheates on boyfriend with every guy in the house, drama, get drunk, drama, fight, drama, getting along, more drama, drunk, fight, cry because its all over. Wow what a great show... yeah right.
  • the real world many don\'t like but I like all the flaws and the conflict in key west,everyone lash out and bicker be my guest.

It\'s a fun reality show to watch because of all the conflict and flaws they have.In Key West, every episode their **** and it\'s radical, I hope some slaps happen and the drunkness and make-out between roomies even still could happen, it\'s still not done and anything could happen between any of the 7 castmates.I\'ve seen all the Key West episodes that have aired and I\'m hooked I hope I like Denver just as much or I hope that I like it even more than KeY West never saw anyothers but now I\'m hooked and whatnot so gibe the Mtv show a chance please!!!!
  • best reality show ever

the real world is my favorite reality show i started watching the real world when austin came on it was so good and now key west is on and that one is good to but i think austin was better and next season the real world is going to denver i hope its really good i cant wait i wounder if austin is coming to DVD i hope so thats the best season
  • Great show! Love the drama! I love it so much i joined an awesome game! Here's the link - www.freewebs.com/rwrrshuffle . You should deff. join! -Breeza

This show is probably my favorite show ever!

Here's my impression on my faves.

LOCATION - Key West = Awesome! Beautiful and exciting city!

Tyler- Seems very mean to Svetlana, but he's very funny. Just too Bossy.
    Janelle- Seems like the biggest b*tch out of the girls. She is Tyler's shadow. But i love her.

-Breeza
  • the real world is one of the greatest and oldest reality shows on television today.seven strangers from all different backgrounds are put together and live in a house with each other.it's time to stop being polite and start getting real.

this is by far the greatest show on tv. i never miss an episode and the show is so addicitve. i love it. none of the other reality tv shows can compare with the real world. it is the mother of all reality shows.i want to be apart of the show so badly but my mom doesnt want me taking a semster off for school.
  • nehemiah is like one of the FYNEST guy that has ever lived!!!!!!!!! he is FYNE!!!!!!!!!!

nehemiah is soooooooo freakin' FYNE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would so love to go out and or make out with !!!!!!!!!! ok i'm white so !!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is so freakin' sexy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it's not like i'm gonna actualy gonna go out with him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my parents won't let me go out whith him cause he's b, my dad best friend for his whole life ( he's 44 ) is b !!!!!!!!!!!!!! besides i've gone out with 3 b guys with out my parents knowin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ain't gonna listen to them when it comes to this !!!!!!!! i mean my dad always says you can't help who you fall in love with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
< 1 2 3 4