The Ren & Stimpy Show

Nickelodeon (ended 1995)

The Ren & Stimpy Show Fan Reviews (144)

• Weird, but one of the best animated Nick shows ever.

I don't care what anyone says, I like this show.
  • Nothing redeeming about the show

First off, the show rips off "2 Stupid Dogs" so I feel it has almost no originality and the jokes are pretty sick. Plus, like the TV show "Hannible", the show is clearly misrated as Nickelodeon made this show but they gave us one that really deserve to be on Adult Swim at a midnight showing. To sumarize: The show is misrated and unoriginal like "Family Guy", it has the disturbing nature of "Hannible", the sickness in the jokes like "Family Guy" again and "American Dad". Like the title of the review I wrote, I find nothing redeeming about this show.

And the only cartoon dog that I still like is Vinny Griffin (the replacment dog on Family Guy) and mabye the 2 stupid dogs from there show. These 2 dogs are just forgetable here.
  • The show WAS good, but declined when John K. got fired after Season 1 and got a new production team for Season 2.

4.5
    Ren and Stimpy started out great on August 11, 1991. But when you compare that to the series finale which aired on December 16, 1995, you see a completely different show. And not in the good way.

The reason why you see the horrid difference between these two sided book ends, is because after Season 1, which had 18 episodes, premiering August 11, 1991 ending May 23, 1993, John K. got fired because of the violent scenes in Man's Best Friend, which was the eighth episode of Season 1, airing June 6, 1992.

And so, a new team took over the show. Then it all went downhill.

The second season, was the Games side. Lasting episodes 19-52, the last 34 episodes of the show, lasting from November 20, 1993 to December 16, 1995, I guess we can all say the second season was a complete disaster because of the Games' poor writing.

One Season 2 episode had a Scotsman in space (which is also the name of the episode), which doesn't make any sense at all. The episode itself was horrible. Another Season 2 had Stimpy in love with a chicken. And yes, it's dumber than it sounds.

Compare those two abominations to all the Season 1 classics like Stimpy's Invention or Stimpy's Fan Club. Two great episodes!

In the first season we see a classical, humorous show, but in the second season, we see the complete opposite.

This show gets a 4.5/10. An 8/10 for Season 1, and 2/10 for Season 2. This averages out to 4.5 instead of 5, because Season 2 was as almost twice the length of Season 1. It's a shame how one side of the show can be amazing, while the other side is complete junk.

• My Suggestion...

Don't whiz on the Electric Fence.
  • May not be one of the greatest shows of all time, it does deserve some respect.

5.5
    One of the 3 original Nicktoons, Ren and Stimpy is remembered for being very fast paced and zany. Ren is is a rude, skinny chihuahua, and Stimpy is a cute, lovable but dumb cat. The first 2 seasons, produced by Spumco, were decent, though I'm not really a big fan of a few episodes. After that Spumco was fired and replaced by Games Animation. The next 3 seasons was just an embarassing mess. The episodes weren't as funny, the animation was a bit bland, and the episodes just had Ren and Stimpy being beat up for no reason. And what's even more baffling is that these episodes were even more disturbing and violent than the first 2 seasons. The final season, known as the "Adult Party" series, was produced by Spumco again. I honestly liked these episodes, except for "Naked Beach Frenzy". These episodes were pretty funny, especially "Ren Seeks Help". My only problem with it is that they went a little too far with the gross out humor sometimes. I give season 1 a 9, season 2 an 8.5, season 3 a 5, season 4 a 3, season 5 a 3, and season 6 (APC) a 7.
  • Top Shows - Age of Nick's Classic 90s Shows - Btw, Screw parents' complaints

Various ep (00)
  • What cartoons nowdays should be

Chaotic, insane, somewhat dark and gross, funny, if you watch cartoons for anything else, you arent watching cartoons for the right things. This, my friends, is a cartoon. Not the "innocent" stuff they show nowadays with bland, uninspiring humor, and no risk taking.
  • A very unique Nicktoon

This show has anything you could ever want in a cartoon. Crude humor, cleverness which somehow manages to mix with stupidity, complete and utter randomness, each episode has an interesting and different plot for the most part, incredible voice acting, great characters, the facial expressions are hilarious, and the best part is: It was a surefire way to piss off your parents! There were a lot of adventurous episodes, which I enjoyed a lot, especially ones that took place in outer space. The emotional moments that Ren and Stimpy sometimes go through, whether they're angry, sad, or happy, almost make the show feel like a movie. I also LOVE the animation and music for the show. It's very reminiscent of the Golden age of 40's-60's cartoons. My favorite episode would have to be "Stimpy's Cartoon Show", Ren and Stimpy at their finest. Plus, Wilbur Cobb is a very quotable character. A close second would be "Haunted House", mainly because of that ending. xD Though I only grew up watching re-runs of the show in the very late 90's, and on Nicktoons Network a few years later, this still holds a special place in my heart. Ren and Stimpy was also a great influence for Spongebob and a lot of other popular cartoons, and I'm thankful for that as well.
  • The Very Defenition of Disturbing, Demented and Disgusting... yet I Love it.

A Show with 2 Rivaled animals, a Cat and a Dog that went against all nature and odds to live together; actually that's not even the weirdest part sometimes their homeless sometimes they live in a house and sometimes they will be living in the past or Future and even be Astronauts in Outer Space. This Show is so Random, Strange and Bizarre, yet very Memorable and good. The Characters are also very Likeable, even Ren Hek the Psychotic Demented Chihuahua, Stimpy is Incredibly Kind yet Stupid, Muddy Muddskipper is a Hollywood actor that stars in his own . show, George Liquor is a very Strange man, and Mr. Horse is well a horse. The First Season was of course the best with the most original, funny and most memorable episodes. The Second Season is not quite as Original or funny as the first, but still holds up for it's charm and disturbing moments. The Third Season is well just okay in my opinion. I used to love this show when I was a kid and looking back at it now I still love it. I thought cause it was so dirty and strange that I would hate it as an adult, but I was proven wrong and still like to watch episodes every now and then.

My Personnel Top 10 favorite episodes are: "Stimpy's Invention" "The Cat That Laid the Golden Hairball" "Svn Hek" "Insomniac Ren" "Ren's Toothache" "A Yard Too Far" "Lair of the Lummox" "Aloha Hek" "Space Madness" "Stimpy's Fan Club"

And Now my Rating for each of the Seasons:

Season 1: 9/10 (Outstanding)

Season 2: 8/10 (Great)

Season 3: 6/10 (Okay)

I will Not review The Adult Party Cartoon here, I will review it on the other Overview.
  • Sick and disgusting...

Just the way I like my cartoons:)
  • BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ILOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its crazy wacky funny entertaing gross and twisted ITS AWSOME. its about this dog named ren and a cat named stimpy . what ilove about this show is all the crazy adventures they go on from being weiner farmers to going inside stimpys bellybutton it also has great animation and its humer comes from the weird situations the fact how twisted it got and gross it was hilarious. bring this show back nick your only good show is spongebob.
  • Possibly the worst show I have ever seen.

0.0
    All it is is gross. Just these two pet things that eat slime, barf it out, eat brains, dribble, sneeze over people and like fungi. It once made my bro barf. This show is eve suckier than Billy and Mandy or Mucha Lucha. One day I hope this'll be cancelled. (Well, it should since it is the most disgusting carton with any sense of humor in the world).
  • Sick, Twisted, Hysterical

This is the most fun you can have while picking fuzz out of your bellybutton. Twisted story lines, some disgusting artwork and just plain silliness
  • Gross, but one of the best Nicktoons.

The Ren & Stimpy show was the third Nicktoon aired on August 11, 1991, first shown was Doug and second was Rugrats. Ren & Stimpy was different from both those shows; it wasn't a baby's eye-view of the world (Rugrats), or a sweet animated sitcom (Doug), it was one of the first, if not the first, gross-out cartoons.

Now, being born in 1996, the year Hey Arnold! and KaBlam! first aired, I didn't get to see any new episodes of this show, only reruns...if I could. The problem was, my mom and dad wouldn't let me watch this show when I was a little kid, so I had to sneak it (like if dad was in the shower and mom was at work). They would never let me rent the videos from Blockbuster, either. Once I hit six, the reruns stopped, but we got Nicktoons and mom and dad said I could rent the tapes. I couldn't stop laughing at how funny they were. My bro got into them at the age of four when we bought a tape from Blockbuster (they were selling their entire VHS collection and the other two tapes were bought). Mom and dad let him watch it at that age because when I started renting the tapes, they realized it wasn't as bad as they thought.

The first episode I remember seeing was Fire Dogs. This was one of my favorites as a little kid (again, snuck this episode when mom was working and dad was showering), mainly because it had to do with Dalmatians and 101 Dalmatians is one of my favorite movies. My favorite episode I think is either Ren's Toothache, Haunted House, or Nurse Stimpy. I haven't seen Adult Party Cartoon, and I don't plan too, from what I heard, it's a load of crap.

I don't know who I like more, Ren or Stimpy. Ren is hilarious (I also really like chihuahuas), and Stimpy is a great character (I'm a huge cat lover). Later episodes after John K, the creator, got fired from Nickelodeon, weren't as good, however. But this is one of the best cartoons ever!
  • Idiot Cat + Cranky Chiwowa = EXTREMELY AMAZING TV SHOW!!!!!!!!!!

I know this show is gross a lot. But sometimes when TV shows cross the line on being gross (Like being more disgusting than Fanboy and Chum Chum or The Mighty B!) This is way more disgusting than those two. But its so gross its considered awesome! Plus its a 90s classic, you can't possibly hate a 90s classic! They're all that! There's nose picking, farting, sneezing, stinky odors, Smelly Feet & Toe Jam, Stinky Cheese, and picking belly buttons & ears without ear cleaners! Its not potty humor in my world. Kinda like Jimmy Neutron and Rugrats, This show also has a ripoff of itself, Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon. The reason why people say this is not for kids is only because of the Adult Party Cartoon. That ripoff is TV-MA, This show is TV-Y7-FV. This is an excellent cartoon! Though there's no way it's as good as Rocko's Modern Life!
  • Retrotastic.

A retro cartoon with an adult twist. Nick's cause of fame. It has a lot of random plots. Graphic art is not a thing here because it's a retro cartoon! Animation is fine too. The most fine cartoon ever made.
  • Disgusting and Disturbing

I have vivid memories of every time I saw this show turning the channel as fast as I could. That show was one of the old Nick shows that I just couldn't tolerate. The animation itself was scary, the content was gross and just as scary. It shocks me to think that the shows creator wanted to re-create a Looney-Tunes type show, and this is what he came up with!? Are you kidding me? If Looney-Tunes was anything like this it would never as popular as it is now! I am so glad this show is gone, and it should have left sooner!
  • Double Jokesters

Ren and Stimpy are so easy to remember as far as catchy cartoon names... the characters are drawn out with silly atittude and facial expressions... and it's just a classy comedy!
  • A show that I grew up with and still enjoy it today.

Ren and Stimpy was the funniest cartoon I watch when I was little. It had everything you asked for funny charecters
    Good plots and an animation legend John Kricfalusi. I'll always remeber the oldest episodes that I watched and enjoyed.
    Then times got bad as the new animation team came in and took
    over sure some of the episodes they made were not so bad but
    Spumco did the best ones. I'm looking forward for the Ren and
    Stimpy Ultimate Boxset then I'll be able to see the episodes
    Nick never aired that should have been showed. Ren and Stimpy
    gets a 10 out of 10.
  • kids shouldnt be watcheing this

they really shouldnt because its vilont kids could get the wrong idea from this cause the dog or rat slaps the cat nonstop
  • No Longer On My Top Cartoons List.

I was so crazy about Ren and Stimpy when I was little/younger. And it may have even used to be one of my favorites, but nowadays I consider it more of a guilty pleasure. And since I still somewhat have an attachment to it, but not as much as I did years ago, I think that giving this show half the maximum rating is decent enough, as I'm being slightly more generous than some of the other reviewers here. I mean, I can see why the first two seasons are often considered by many to be the best, so I'll give it that at least. Things really changed and took a turn for the worst when Spumco was replaced by Games Animation and the latter ran things. This was the cartoon that pioneered gross-out humor and can even be pointed out as the one that inspired several other, like-minded cartoons that followed in it's wake. And I almost hate to say or even admit it, but I'm afraid that this may be the show responsible for the decline of great, smarter cartoons and the amount of them that have been churned out in over the last decade. To all of those who are still feeling it a lot, I'm sorry, but I just can't get with it as much as I used to these days. Especially since after checking out some of the animated series from that same decade. I just believe there are much better shows on the air and that had aired. The typical things that went on in this show and the details of which have already been covered by others are just too dumbed-down, and much for me now.
  • What a good show.

Ren and Stimpy was a really good, it was always original with its plots and always put a smile on my face. I still think it is good show even after so many years. In fact the Spumco episodes get better with time to understand the jokes. Although I think the Games episodes are garbage,though some are good (but not many). Unfortunately, the show ended yearly then it should since Nickelodeon fired John Kricfalusi. But really did not end but after John was fired the show went down hill as soon as games started making them. I wish John did not get fired. Because of all of this it is really hard for me to think this show ended since the creator had no involvement in since he left a few years before it ended. So in my opinion it was a false ending. Thanks for reading!
  • The series follows Ren an asthmatic chuhuahua and Stimpy a simpleminded manx cat on their adventures.

2.4
    This show really, really, really, really disgusts me. It had a little humour. But it is extremely grotesque and leaves horrid, disgusting images in your head. It lasted for 5 years. There were 5 seasons and 52 episodes (which I'm glad came to an end). I did not like the characters either, an asthmatic chihuahua and simpleminded manx cat. I personally hated it for its horrid, disgusting, grotesque, rank imagery and the concept of a chihuahua and a manx cat did not interest me either. Overall Ren and Stimpy was a very poor show and the disgusting images are still in my head!
  • i despise it

Personnaly i think its about nothing, yes nothing.
    I now there are more shows about nothing and they are good, but this one isnt. its just bad, really bad.
    I hadnt seen it in years and just yesterday it was on tv. I wathced a few minutes and I thought this show is really bad, why is it still on th air?
    I immediatly turned off my tv and started doing something else.
    If you like the show, im ok with that, I just dont understand why. Well thats my opinion, and if you dont believe me watch it and you'll see what I mean. probably.
  • I'm compltly crazy about this show!

This show is the best show ever Stimp and Ren are so funny. Stimpy is so sweet yet stupid Ren shouldn't yell at himbut thats what makes the show funny. Ren id kind of a maniac so I don't really know what to say about Ren hes creepy. But thats what makes him so funny. I love the episode Stimpys Fan Club Ren gose totaly wacko. Stimpy wrote Ren a Fan letter and Ren cried for once. Every one was looking through a window at him that was so incredably funny. Thats why I love The Rean and Stimpy Show.
  • Happy Happy Joy Joy

I watched this show when I was in elementary school and I used sing Happy Happy Joy Joy and I got a spanking as a result. My mom and dad think it's chanting. I thought that song was funny. My mom's friend says it's a funny song, but it's stupid. One of my old friends and I used to sing it on the school bus when I was in 5th grade. I got the video game for Christmas one year. I don't remember how old I was when I got it. The other song that I remember was Log. My dad used to sing it and I didn't care.
  • An amazing cartoon. Everyone with a sense of humor should give it a chance.

"The Ren & Stimpy Show" is the 3rd of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons, and it is also one of the most popular. While the other 2 Nicktoons that premiered on August 11th 1991 were good as well, it was this one that was easily the best. "Doug" was funny, entertaining and just a very good show. "Rugrats" had some subtle adult humor, but it was mostly for the kids with it's constant jokes involving poop, pee, diapers, boogers etc., and anyone who says it's completely original or groundbreaking is sadly mistaken, the concept was used in "Muppet Babies". So "Rugrats" was good, but the weakest of the 3. But "The Ren & Stimpy Show" (the one I'm currently reviewing) was the best. Whenever we think of the best cartoons ever made, the "Looney Tunes" shorts from the 40's and 50's are usually the first to pop-up in our brains, and I'd say that's true, those are the best cartoons ever made, however.... Ren & Stimpy took a lot of inspiration from those classic cartoons by using similar slapstick gags and having similar music and background art. John Kricfalusi did this while still making it his own. The characters had his art style, and I must say his art style is fantastic. Also the plots could be pretty off-the-wall such as a superhero made of toast saving people and becoming president, hairballs going up in value, or selling rubber nipples. But if you think about it, some of the Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse, Tom & Jerry and Popeye shorts were crazy as well. Besides, animation is a place for your own ideas and imagination to run free, so why should you have any rules? Craziness is something that made this show great. And some episodes weren't that crazy. Episodes like "Stimpy's Fan Club", "The Big Shot", "Son of Stimpy" and "Fake Dad" were actually kind of sad and / or heart-felt. I think the characters Ren Hoek and Stimpson J. Cat are not only some of the most memorable cartoon characters ever, but also some of the best. Ren is psychotic, greedy and thinks he knows everything, but he's really just as dumb as Stimpy and we do actually see his softer side quite often. Stimpy is simple-minded, fat and good-hearted, but he is occaisionally smart like his ability to create electronic devices. John Kricfalusi and Billy West did a wonderful job voicing them, and they are bothvery memorble and likeable characters.

This show is easily one of the funniest cartoons ever made. It's one of those times where you'll laugh so hard, your sides will start to hurt. The episode "Stimpy's Cartoon Show" made me laugh so hard, I couldn't even breathe.

Of course lot's of people claim the 1993-1996 Games Animation episodes weren't as creative or funny, and for the most part they're right. But I liked a lot of their episodes. As I mentioned "Stimpy's Cartoon Show" made me laugh really hard, and I also enjoyed the episodes "To Salve, and Salve Not", "Hermit Ren", "The Last Temptation", "An Abe Divided", "Lumberjerks", "No Pants Today" and "House of Next Tuesday". I'd say their episodes aren't as good as the John Kricfalusi (Spumco) episodes, but they're still good.

Ren & Stimpy is easily one of the best cartoons ever made. It had a great sense of humor, excellent voice acting, awesome animation, good characters, well-written episodes that weren't afraid to be a little goofy, and it even had occaisional sad moments. I can't find a bad thing about the show, I reccomend it to everyone!

Rating: 100% "Amazing"

-Cartoon King
  • One of the greatest cartoon shows of all time.

The Ren & Stimpy Show is an animated TV show created by John Kricfalusi. It premiered on Nickelodeon in 1991 and was the third of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons. John Kricfalusi created the show to return the style of classic cartoons (such as Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tom & Jerry, Mickey Mouse). The show does have a lot of the same satire and slapstick that made those cartoons famous, but it also had the surreal humor and gross-out humor that was famous for cartoons in the 90's (like Cow and Chicken, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Rocko's Modern Life and 2 Stupid Dogs) and cartoons today (like Chowder, Adventure Time and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.) The show is about a short-tempered, chihuahua named Ren and his idiotic best friend Stimpy. They do all kinds of crazy things to get money or food like: painting white and black spots on their selves so they can be fire dogs, selling rubber nipples or pretending to be babies. John Kricfalusi was fired from Nickelodeon in 1992 because of a violent scene in a banned episode called "Man's Best Friend" where Ren beats his master George Liquor with an oar. In 1993 Nickelodeon showed the rest of John's episodes like "The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen", "To Salve, Or Salve Not" and "Circus Midgets". And later that year Nick and their new animation studio Games Animation made their own new episodes. That were toned down in violence, but used gross-out humor and surreal humor a lot more often and even started to occasionally use black comedy. Many people consider this to be the downfall of The Ren & Stimpy Show. I do kind of agree, but I don't consider the Games Animation episodes to be awful. Though I do agree they are inferior to the original episodes. One of the things that made this show famous was "The Happy Happy Joy Joy Song" from the 1992 episode "Stimpy's Invention". That episode is a favorite of a lot of people including myself. So my final opinion about The Ren & Stimpy Show: It's one of the funniest cartoons from the 90's. I love John Kricfalusi's style of animation. Ren and Stimpy are my favorite cartoon characters of all time. And this show is one of the main reasons Billy West is one of my favorite voice actors. This show ties with Rocko's Modern Life as my favorite Nicktoon. I recommend this show for any fan of classic cartoons like Looney Tunes, Popeye and Tom & Jerry. Or fans of crazy cartoons like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Cow and Chicken and Rocko's Modern Life. The Ren & Stimpy Show is hilarious and entertaining for kids and adults of all ages.

RATING: 10/10 (Perfect)
  • Holy Crud! Save me from this awful show!

3.4
    It's rude, crud, and totally annoying! Someone please tell me what the heck is going on? When I was real little my brother caught me watching the show and I couldn't even laugh then because I didn't get. He immeditly changed the channel and gave me the facts about the humor of the show. Years later I'm flipping through the channels and see it on TvLand and it strains my eyes. I mean its completely awful and I for one am glad it canceled.
  • Why nick why did you do this?

Yet one more classic cartoon falls dead at nickelodeon's hands. This was and still is a favorite of mine, and always will be. Nick would not know a show if they triped over it. That's why they get rid of the good cartoons because they don't want kids to have fun watching tv. They want them to be bored and watch lame shows like: Catdog and My life as a teenage robot. That's why I was happy to see Ren and Stimpy come on spike tv. and not nickelodeon. So if you have good idea for a cartoon or tv show and nick asks you to have it on their channel. Tell them no.
< 1 2 3 4 5