The Riches

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Mar 12, 2007 on FX

• I don't know quite what to make of this show about a family of gypsy grifters (the Malloys), running away from camp life who providentially walk into the life of the man their relatives run off the road while they're on their way to 'somewhere else.'

I really thought this show was going to be a straight-up comedy, mostly because of Eddie Izzard in the lead role. But this show is much darker and while there are amusing moments throughout, this is very much a dramatic show, so far. I am pleased to see that the writers didn't just dump the family into their new digs without consequences: there's deep intra-and inter-familial turmoil, as newly paroled wife, Dahlia (nicely played by Minnie Driver), balks at the idea of taking on the persona of a "buffer" (their word for the upper middle-class/landed gentry.) It goes against everything she knows. But husband, Wayne (Eddie Izzard), wants something more than life on the bottom rung, and having stolen the camp-family money, they really can't go back home again. So, he decides to become Doug Rich, the fellow who was run off the road by fellow travelers, the Malloys. Doug/Wayne (as well as the rest of the family) begin to learn that life as a buffer has its own structure and if they're not careful, they'll very easily find themselves outcasts again, or in jail!

Now that I've wrapped my head around the reality of what this show *isn't*, I can get on board to find out what it *is*. I'd like to see what else it has to offer.