The Riches

FX (ended 2008)

The Riches Fan Reviews (73)

• An engaging drama. Though the premise was hard to relate to, the struggle to be more than you are is uplifting. Pair great actors to well-written characters and this was a solid show. It's no Firefly or Journeyman, but I still can't fathom why it was cut.

The Riches was an addicting drama. Sure, the premise was borderline absurd, but I never had trouble suspending my disbelief because of the tight scripts and quality acting.

At the center of the story was the struggle for redemption and the idea that a normal life is worth fighting for – an uplifting sentiment that seems even more relevant this year than last. One must wonder why they chose to cut it this year. At the very least, it was worthy of one more season to tie up the orderly threads. I imagine fans would have been satisfied while a topical perspective would have drawn in new viewers. As it was left, not only is curiosity not satisfied, but the moral of the entire series is left ambiguous do to the absence of resolution.

The characters were, at times, a little too colorful, but every one of them was accessible and the family members were all motivated by believable and consistent traits. I for one will miss having a weekly dose of Eddy Izzard (Wayne Malloy) and Shannon Woodward (Di Di Malloy), who consistently pleased with her consistent performance as the the heart of the family.

It's no Firefly or Journeyman, but I still can't fathom why The Riches weren't given a chance to settle down on their own terms.