The Ricky Gervais Show Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBOBetween Seasons

What the hell was that.

Aussieh

[1]Feb 21, 2010
    • level: 5
    ??????
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[2]Feb 27, 2010
    • level: 79
    Hilarious, that's what.

Lucidmike78

[3]Mar 4, 2010

There is nothing funny about telling someone that is really dumb and crazy that they are dumb and crazy, while laughingtheir ass off.

It is a show that stupid people watch/listen toso they don't feel as dumb. "Hey look, this guy is dumber than me, so I'm going to laugh at him."

gilgamish55

[4]Mar 7, 2010
    I don't think it should be taken seriously. IF you know the work of Merchant and Gervais, you can see that they make fun of everything, themselves included.

insinity

[5]Mar 15, 2010
    • level: 40
    Yeah, people who don't know humor and don't know their work won't get it.

xela34

[6]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 2

Lucidmike78 wrote:

There is nothing funny about telling someone that is really dumb and crazy that they are dumb and crazy, while laughingtheir ass off.

It is a show that stupid people watch/listen to so they don't feel as dumb.

There is nothing funny about calling people stupid just because they like a show that you don't like. Think before you type next time .

Edited on 03/19/2010 8:09pm

EsmeMoore

[7]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 1

They call Karl stupid, dumb and head like an orange, but if you listen closely, Karl is not stupid.

He is naive if anything. He actually comes up with some brilliant points sometimes and he's just not afraid to say what he really means unlike others would rather not say anything at all in fear of being looked upon as stupid. I love him for his ridiculous comments and most of all for his occasional shine of genius.

Please realise that if Karl was truly so offended he wouldn't be sitting there getting 'abused'. It's also this fact that all the comments wash off of him like water off a duck and he really just couldn't give two turds that make this brilliant.

Sometimes I just wished that I could be as blunt as Gervais and Marchant and tell people straight up when they are full of rubbish. It's the lack of catty footing that makes this show great.

Yaspaa

[8]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 79
    It's their schtick, they're all real friends.

MeshachTourig

[9]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 3
    this show is hillarious!

esoteric_dreams

[10]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 1
    Lucidmike78 wrote:

It is a show that stupid people watch/listen toso they don't feel as dumb. "Hey look, this guy is dumber than me, so I'm going to laugh at him."

I'd much rather listen to them talk than you. Yutz.

drlowdon

[11]Mar 11, 2011
    • level: 8

No TV show or movie has me laughing as much as when I listen to Karl Pilkington. An accidental comedy genius.

MeanGene69

[12]Mar 12, 2011
    • level: 7
    EsmeMoore wrote:

They call Karl stupid, dumb and head like an orange, but if you listen closely, Karl is not stupid.

He is naive if anything. He actually comes up with some brilliant points sometimes and he's just not afraid to say what he really means unlike others would rather not say anything at all in fear of being looked upon as stupid. I love him for his ridiculous comments and most of all for his occasional shine of genius.

Please realise that if Karl was truly so offended he wouldn't be sitting there getting 'abused'. It's also this fact that all the comments wash off of him like water off a duck and he really just couldn't give two turds that make this brilliant.

Sometimes I just wished that I could be as blunt as Gervais and Marchant and tell people straight up when they are full of rubbish. It's the lack of catty footing that makes this show great.

I agree with that. In this last episode, S02E08, one of Karl's visions of the future was a pair of glasses that changed the look of your environment and of course, the boys ridiculed him. I don't know how long ago the audio for the podcast was recorded, but it sounds like he just described a new emerging technology that's called "Augmented Reality". I recently saw a remote controlled toy in February that you can play with that's controlled by your iPhone and you can see special effects on the screen layered over the live video feed from the camera in the toy!

beppo24

[13]Apr 12, 2011
    • level: 10

Hi,

The podcasts are from the mid-2000s, if you want more stuff just check out the audio books on iTunes, they contain the whole series with much more material than the edited TV shows (e.g. dance remixes of "I could eat a knob at night"! ;-) )

MeanGene69

[14]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 7

MeanGene69 wrote:
    EsmeMoore wrote:

I agree with that. In this last episode, S02E08, one of Karl's visions of the future was a pair of glasses that changed the look of your environment and of course, the boys ridiculed him. I don't know how long ago the audio for the podcast was recorded, but it sounds like he just described a new emerging technology that's called "Augmented Reality". I recently saw a remote controlled toy in February that you can play with that's controlled by your iPhone and you can see special effects on the screen layered over the live video feed from the camera in the toy!

Witness the genius of Karl Pilkington's invention as developed by Google! The only thing missing is geo-layering...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/

http://youtu.be/9c6W4CCU9M4

Edited on 04/21/2012 7:13am